+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job requirement but PR Card close to expiration.

gdp79

Star Member
Jan 28, 2016
I'm getting a job and have a contract with me now. The contract says it is void if I don't provide a valid residency in Canada.

I do have a PR Card and is set for expiration on March next year. I have completed the 2 of 5 year residency requirements in Canada and submitted my documents last month (which as mentioned in another trail, is not yet in their system). Getting the new one I guess in October.

Question: anybody encountered this problem? If I give a proof of my PR card and sees its gonna expire in 8 months time, would that worry them? How will I go about with this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm getting a job and have a contract with me now. The contract says it is void if I don't provide a valid residency in Canada.

I do have a PR Card and is set for expiration on March next year. I have completed the 2 of 5 year residency requirements in Canada and submitted my documents last month (which as mentioned in another trail, is not yet in their system). Getting the new one I guess in October.

Question: anybody encountered this problem? If I give a proof of my PR card and sees its gonna expire in 8 months time, would that worry them? How will I go about with this?
You need to ask your employer this question. Show them your valid PR card and let them know you've started the renewal process.

gdp79

Star Member
Jan 28, 2016
That's a very delicate approach esp. for one finally finding a job for 9 months :) . Will do that. Thanks Scylla.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I agree with above but I would not pose it as a question to the employer. Show them the PR card, and if they ask, just note that you've applied for a new one.

The key point (that not all employers or even PRs know) is that the PR card is not the same as PR status. Someone without a PR card (because it's expired or lost) doesn't lose their status because they don't have the card.

My point is: don't ask the employer a question - if you ask the question, you'll likely confuse them. They want you to show you're a resident - show them the card. That should be enough. If they ask what happens in eight months, the answer is nothing - you'll still be a PR, and at any rate, you've applied and should have a new card by then.

Reactions: gdp79