+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job prospects for law school students?

kohsuen

Mar 19, 2012
I'm from Hong Kong and have a B.A. from National Taiwan University. I've always been interested in the law and want to study law in a common law jurisdiction so that I can come back and take the hk bar after graduation. Britain is not an option for me as law is an undergraduate subject there and I don't want to do another bachelor's degree, so I've been deliberating between Australia and Canada. However, Australia is notorious for their education quality and their universities are commonly believed to enroll students with subpar academic performance just to make money out of them, so I'm more inclined towards Canada and would like to know if it is possible for an international student to get a job at a local Canadian law firm after getting a JD from a Canadian law school.

I know there's a "Canadian Experience Class" visa and international students can stay in Canada with a post-graduation work permit. Visa shouldn't be a huge problem after three years of studying law in Canada. What concerns me more is, on a more practical level, whether getting a job is possible.

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
kohsuen said:
I'm from Hong Kong and have a B.A. from National Taiwan University. I've always been interested in the law and want to study law in a common law jurisdiction so that I can come back and take the hk bar after graduation. Britain is not an option for me as law is an undergraduate subject there and I don't want to do another bachelor's degree, so I've been deliberating between Australia and Canada. However, Australia is notorious for their education quality and their universities are commonly believed to enroll students with subpar academic performance just to make money out of them, so I'm more inclined towards Canada and would like to know if it is possible for an international student to get a job at a local Canadian law firm after getting a JD from a Canadian law school.

I know there's a "Canadian Experience Class" visa and international students can stay in Canada with a post-graduation work permit. Visa shouldn't be a huge problem after three years of studying law in Canada. What concerns me more is, on a more practical level, whether getting a job is possible.
Kohsuen,

Hong Kong is part of China. Many North American Companies doing business in China. Many business Schools and Universities are offering Joint degree option, MBA/Law . If you complete this degree, you will get much better job in Canada and other countries as well. :)

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kohsuen said:

Hi,

1. You need LSAT exam score for admission/to study Law (LLB) in Canada.
2. Studying a "Common Law" may not be a good option to get a job in a Canadian law firm. Getting a job is on your skills/networking/efforts.