+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job opportunities in winnipeg ( manitoba)

gurjotbrar

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
Hi everyone .
My father has applied for PR in June 2017 and im the co applicant . Fingers crossed and we are expecting to receive the PR in next few months , most probably by march of this year.
My question to you all is ,
What kind of jobs are available for commerce students in Manitoba?
please advice me regarding the jobs and job opportunities . Preferably with good pay/salary . Thanks in advance.

bobocan

Mar 11, 2016
I am in Winnipeg and all I can say is every person's situation is different. I am from non English spoken country, have degree in the area related to my work, professional designation from the US, and recently added Canadian designation, related work experience over 10 years in my home country at globally recognized companies and worked in English. It took more than 6 months to find this first job, which pays about half what I was making in my home country. Here in Winnipeg, I met so many people who had never heard of the company names I used to work for, *first time in my life.* This is Winnipeg. Recruiters are pretty much useless here. Our plan now is to move to my home country, I will support my family, including 8th generation Winnipegger husband.

gurjotbrar

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
I am in Winnipeg and all I can say is every person's situation is different. I am from non English spoken country, have degree in the area related to my work, professional designation from the US, and recently added Canadian designation, related work experience over 10 years in my home country at globally recognized companies and worked in English. It took more than 6 months to find this first job, which pays about half what I was making in my home country. Here in Winnipeg, I met so many people who had never heard of the company names I used to work for, *first time in my life.* This is Winnipeg. Recruiters are pretty much useless here. Our plan now is to move to my home country, I will support my family, including 8th generation Winnipegger husband.
Thats very unfortunate and a sad news.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Sounds terrible. May we know what is your profession? Also if your job is related to your field of work, then half salary (I'm guessing you are from some developed country) is not bad to start with at all at in Canada. Things might improve with more local experience. Eventually your foreign experience might be valued too.

bobocan

Mar 11, 2016
It is terrible and that is Winnipeg! People here don't know outside Winnipeg, this is what I was told once by a recruiter.

bobocan

Mar 11, 2016
I'm not posting anything private here in detail. If yoy really think knowing my story helps you, you can message me.

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Please advise your father to receive employment services once he gets here. He can go to Manitoba Start, Immigrant Centre, Opportunities for Employment, Seven Oaks Employment Centre, etc. All these services are free and they will show him how to access the "hidden" job market, how to look for work, how to prepare for an interview, and the most important one, how to format his resume and cover letter. Every public job posting gets between 30 and 200 applicants, and HR reps spend 5 minutes or less reading each. You need to make sure that you write a resume and cover letter that will catch their attention and will be moved to the "yes" pile, or at least the "maybe" pile.

It took me 3 months to find an entry-level substitute (casual) job, then one month to find a full time job (still entry-level), then 4 months to move up the organization and land a job commensurate to my skills, education and experience. The start is pretty rocky for everyone but if you learn what I wrote above, it is absolutely doable to find a good job.