+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Offer in Vancouver, BC, LMO, and PNP question

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
Hello,

I have a job offer to work as Senior Interface Developer (basically a interface designer position with some programming and some management) at a company in Vancouver. I am a U.S. citizen and just turning 24 years old. The position is listed as an occupation under pressure for British Columbia. The company wants me to start February 1st, but just now started the process of doing the 7-day job posting (that will expire on Sunday).

Here's some relevant facts:
- U.S. citizen, 24 years old
- High school diploma
- Went 2 years to honors program in computer science and management at university in the states
- Went to school for 1 year in Vancouver at VFS but never completed (got hired away with a Senior Producer offer)
- Primarily self-taught outside of schooling
- Great work experience (last three years as Director of Design for a company doing work for big name clients like Mazda, Minnesota Wild, Royal Caribbean, Adidas, Nike, Movado, National Car Rental, etc., previous experience as Senior Producer and before that New Media Designer)
- Great portfolio (portfolio and experience are more important in the industry these days -- a lot of great self-taught individuals)
- Recipient of top scholarships at the schools I did attend
- No post-secondary degree, though
- Corresponding position on the NOC is 2175 (and a little of 2174)
- Interested in eventually becoming a permanent resident, but concerned with getting into the country and working soon

My questions are these:
- With my experience and the company's help, how would my lack of a post-secondary degree affect me?
- Since the occupation is under pressure, what might the processing time be in Vancouver for the LMO?
- Does it make more sense to do the BC PNP? What might the timeline look like for that?
- Should I retain a lawyer?
- Any other thoughts and advice?

Thanks in advance for any help. I really appreciate it, as I've found a great place to live here and am excited to get back. The immigration thing is just a bit of a road block at the moment.

Thanks and best regards,
Brad

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
1. A work permit for programming is going to require a 2-year "post-secondary diploma or certificate with a computing element." I'm not sure what your 2-year "honors program in computer science and management" entails. It might be exactly what's required, or it might fall short. But that's really the hurdle you have to overcome. Your experience is what the business is looking for, but the diploma or certificate is what immigration is looking for.
2. I'm not sure about timelines, but you can look to the CIC website to get those.
3. You could retain a lawyer, but I think you could do this yourself with the same success.

Other advice: If you don't have a programming certificate or diploma, you should definitely pursue it. Canada needs programmers.

Good luck.