+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job offer during IEC?

AlicjaSz

Mar 2, 2017
Hello,
Can anyone help me with this? I feel like a babe in the woods.
I have been living in Canada almost one year (I got my work permit on the 8th April 2016 and it's valid up to the 7th), I'm participating in IEC program.
I got a job offer, they hired me, I'm gonna start on Monday (the 5th March).

How I'm supposed to organize all the things related with the work permit? It's a huge company, they are ready to cooperate and help me with all the red tapes, but where I should start?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA before you'll qualify to apply for a closed work permit. The LMIA process is long and expensive with no guarantee of approval. The first step is for the employer to advertise your job in accordance with the LMIA requirements to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. The entire LMIA process (including the month of advertising) can easily take 4-5 months to complete. So your employer should kick off the process asap. It's almost certain you won't have the approved LMIA by the time your IEC expires. So you'll need to stop working while you wait for the LMIA to be approved and then the work permit.

Detailed info regarding the LMIA process can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/hire/median-wage/high.html