+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job offer and permanent residency advice - Help

littlej89

Apr 12, 2015
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had advice on the following subject.

I'm a New Zealand citizen living in Australia. I did a working holiday visa for 1 year in Vancouver. Recently I've received a job offer from the place I worked at in Vancouver as an assistant store manager of a supermarket that would involve becoming a permanent resident. I'm not sure what visa I should apply for or if there is an easier way. I can apply for the express entry as it is a management position and I have years of supervisor experience. I think it's weird that I have to do IELTS and other stuff to then get lumped in a pool with a bunch of other candidates even though I already have a job offer. Is there just an outright sponsorship my employer can do?

Any advice on the subject would be helpful.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

littlej89 said:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had advice on the following subject.

I'm a New Zealand citizen living in Australia. I did a working holiday visa for 1 year in Vancouver. Recently I've received a job offer from the place I worked at in Vancouver as an assistant store manager of a supermarket that would involve becoming a permanent resident. I'm not sure what visa I should apply for or if there is an easier way. I can apply for the express entry as it is a management position and I have years of supervisor experience. I think it's weird that I have to do IELTS and other stuff to then get lumped in a pool with a bunch of other candidates even though I already have a job offer. Is there just an outright sponsorship my employer can do?

Any advice on the subject would be helpful.
1, It is not considered a job offer unless it is accompanied by an approved LMIA. So, you prospective employer is going to have advertise the position for 4 weeks on the job bank plus 2 other sites, and then apply for the LMIA and demonstrate that there were no Canadians or PRs available or qualified for the position. The wages have to be above the median for the area. 8-16 weeks of processing for the LMIA.
2, Everyone in the EE pool has to have their IELTs and their education evaluated.

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
PMM said:
HI

1, It is not considered a job offer unless it is accompanied by an approved LMIA. So, you prospective employer is going to have advertise the position for 4 weeks on the job bank plus 2 other sites, and then apply for the LMIA and demonstrate that there were no Canadians or PRs available or qualified for the position. The wages have to be above the median for the area. 8-16 weeks of processing for the LMIA.
2, Everyone in the EE pool has to have their IELTs and their education evaluated.
I'm very concerned about LMIA.
Is it possible to get a job under PGWP and ask for your employer to apply for the LMIA after 2 months working there? Or you have to ask for the LMIA right in the interview? It would scare most of the employers, since they would have to wait a long time and wouldn't be sure if it would work out. In that case, it's almost impossible to get a LMIA from an employer while you are under PGWP.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Bruno V. S. said:
I'm very concerned about LMIA.
Is it possible to get a job under PGWP and ask for your employer to apply for the LMIA after 2 months working there? Or you have to ask for the LMIA right in the interview? It would scare most of the employers, since they would have to wait a long time and wouldn't be sure if it would work out. In that case, it's almost impossible to get a LMIA from an employer while you are under PGWP.
Tell them you have a valid open work permit to start working for them right away. Get the job offer first. If you say you need a LMIA right away, indeed it scares most employers.

Once you get the offer, you can either tell them you need the LMIA in the long run during the negotiation process, or you can simply start working. If they like you enough, you can then tell them about the LMIA.

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
ZingyDNA said:
Tell them you have a valid open work permit to start working for them right away. Get the job offer first. If you say you need a LMIA right away, indeed it scares most employers.

Once you get the offer, you can either tell them you need the LMIA in the long run during the negotiation process, or you can simply start working. If they like you enough, you can then tell them about the LMIA.
Thank you, ZingyDNA. You are the second person to give me the same advice and it seems to be a good way to do it.
But after I read this thread I got concerned.
"So, you prospective employer is going to have advertise the position for 4 weeks on the job bank plus 2 other sites, and then apply for the LMIA and demonstrate that there were no Canadians or PRs available or qualified for the position."
That makes sense.. But if you ask the employer for LMIA later, he won't be able to advertise the job (since you are already holding that position) again and for 4 weeks to prove that there won't be any Canadian qualified for that position.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Bruno V. S. said:
That makes sense.. But if you ask the employer for LMIA later, he won't be able to advertise the job (since you are already holding that position) again and for 4 weeks to prove that there won't be any Canadian qualified for that position.
That's not quite true... There's nothing to stop employers from advertising a job position while it's being occupied by someone. Looking for a better fit before let go of the current guy, it could be :p

The employer can post an ad then reject any applicants, so that LMIA conditions can be satisfied. But like I said, you employer must like you enough to go through all this hassle to get you a LMIA...

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
ZingyDNA said:
That's not quite true... There's nothing to stop employers from advertising a job position while it's being occupied by someone. Looking for a better fit before let go of the current guy, it could be :p

The employer can post an ad then reject any applicants, so that LMIA conditions can be satisfied. But like I said, you employer must like you enough to go through all this hassle to get you a LMIA...
LOL that makes sense.
This kind of thing is common where I live. I'm just concerned about this because Canadians are known as being very respectful to the law and how things must be done. It's a different culture because they have better education than here.
What do you think?
In my opinion is just a simple thing that can be done so it will be good for everyone. For the company because I will be able to work there, for me because I'll get my PR and work there for a long time, and for Canada because I will help the economy in that field somehow.
I'm just scared that they don't see this situation as we do and they think that is not ethical. :(

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Bruno V. S. said:
LOL that makes sense.
This kind of thing is common where I live. I'm just concerned about this because Canadians are known as being very respectful to the law and how things must be done. It's a different culture because they have better education than here.
What do you think?
In my opinion is just a simple thing that can be done so it will be good for everyone. For the company because I will be able to work there, for me because I'll get my PR and work there for a long time, and for Canada because I will help the economy in that field somehow.
I'm just scared that they don't see this situation as we do and they think that is not ethical. :(
Well there's nothing illegal if they can honestly say they like you so much that you are a better fit than all the applicants for your job. Things like this happen a lot more often than you think, and mostly not involving immigrants/LMIA. Certain positions receiving government funding that are required to be openly sought in the public. They already have their man but they have to advertise it. Occasionally you see a job posting with a deadline a week from when it's posted. You seriously think they can find a good fit in a week?

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
ZingyDNA said:
Well there's nothing illegal if they can honestly say they like you so much that you are a better fit than all the applicants for your job. Things like this happen a lot more often than you think, and mostly not involving immigrants/LMIA. Certain positions receiving government funding that are required to be openly sought in the public. They already have their man but they have to advertise it. Occasionally you see a job posting with a deadline a week from when it's posted. You seriously think they can find a good fit in a week?
That's great, man! I thought LMIA was kinda impossible to get.
Thanks for this!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ZingyDNA said:
1. Better "fit" doesn't enter into it. If the applicants for the position have either the same qualifications or better, and the employer rejects them because they may not "fit" as well, ESCD will refuse the LMIA.

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
PMM said:
Hi

1. Better "fit" doesn't enter into it. If the applicants for the position have either the same qualifications or better, and the employer rejects them because they may not "fit" as well, ESCD will refuse the LMIA.
What if the employer just don't call anyone for an interview and say that he could not find anyone qualified for that specific position. The only thing ESCD will check is whether the position was really advertised and for how long.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
PMM said:
Hi

What are you talking about... "Good fit" is everything in the hiring process... Mind you, "qualification" is a subjective thing. You may have a degree from ivy league, plus even a lot of relevant work experience, but if you are not a team player, not humble and willing to learn new things, someone who's a quick learner with good people skills is an obvious better fit than you. It's fair game if you don't get hired. It's not illegal or even unethical... The employer is not concerned with how good you are, but how much you can make the team better!

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Bruno V. S. said:
What if the employer just don't call anyone for an interview and say that he could not find anyone qualified for that specific position. The only thing ESCD will check is whether the position was really advertised and for how long.
Correct. Even if they can force the employer to disclose the qualifications of every applicant (they really cannot), there's no way they can know better than the employer who's to hire.

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
ZingyDNA said:
Correct. Even if they can force the employer to disclose the qualifications of every applicant (they really cannot), there's no way they can know better than the employer who's to hire.
:)
I was just wondering if they can find out that you are already hired. That will end up with contradiction, since LMIA is used to hire immigrants.
And would the employer have to hire you again after the LMIA is approved?

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Bruno V. S. said:
:)
I was just wondering if they can find out that you are already hired. That will end up with contradiction, since LMIA is used to hire immigrants.
And would the employer have to hire you again after the LMIA is approved?
Of course, they can offer you a slight different job title, for example. This is not the hard part. The hard part is to impress them enough to make them go through the LMIA hurdles, which is very complicated from what I heard. It involves lots of paperwork and always a hassle when dealing with government bureaucracy. So there's no guarantee they are willing to go through this for you no matter how happy they'll be with you, I'm afraid...

It would be best if you could somehow find an employer with the culture and prior experience in applying for LMO/LMIA's, obviously.