+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job offer and permanent residency advice - Help

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
ZingyDNA said:
Of course, they can offer you a slight different job title, for example. This is not the hard part. The hard part is to impress them enough to make them go through the LMIA hurdles, which is very complicated from what I heard. It involves lots of paperwork and always a hassle when dealing with government bureaucracy. So there's no guarantee they are willing to go through this for you no matter how happy they'll be with you, I'm afraid...

It would be best if you could somehow find an employer with the culture and prior experience in applying for LMO/LMIA's, obviously.
That makes sense.
That's really important! I've never thought of the possibility of finding an employer that had had this experience before.
Thanks, man!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Bruno V. S. said:
What if the employer just don't call anyone for an interview and say that he could not find anyone qualified for that specific position. The only thing ESCD will check is whether the position was really advertised and for how long.
An employer is required to inform ESCD how many people applied, how many were interviewed and why they weren't hired. ESDC could also request any further information to support this, such as the resumes of the applicants.

Also, http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/reform/enforce.shtml:

Employers who intentionally misrepresent or withhold information or provide false information to contravene the IRPA (i.e. lie on their Labour Market Impact Assessment application about their efforts to hire Canadians) can be fined up to $100,000 and imprisoned for up to five years or both.

If your employer thinks that you are worth risking a $100 000 fine and imprisonment by committing fraud, well done to you.

ZingyDNA said:
What are you talking about... "Good fit" is everything in the hiring process...
For an employer, yes. For ESDC, no.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
This is beyond ridiculous. Why don't they hire people themselves for the employers :p
I thought I'd only see this in communist countries :-\

OK, let's say an employer reports information for every single applicant, and would still hire their guy regardless? What if the employer say: "Even if Albert Einstein (or whatever Canadian version of him :p) applied, we would still hire our guy, because he's a better fit for the job." This is not lying or misinforming!

canuck_in_uk said:
An employer is required to inform ESCD how many people applied, how many were interviewed and why they weren't hired. ESDC could also request any further information to support this, such as the resumes of the applicants.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ZingyDNA said:
This is beyond ridiculous. Why don't they hire people themselves for the employers :p
I thought I'd only see this in communist countries :-\

OK, let's say an employer reports information for every single applicant, and would still hire their guy regardless? What if the employer say: "Even if Albert Einstein (or whatever Canadian version of him :p) applied, we would still hire our guy, because he's a better fit for the job." This is not lying or misinforming!
ESDC is charged with protecting the Canadian job market for Canadian citizens and PRs. They care about whether there is a qualified Canadian citizen/PR applicant that possesses the education, skills and training to do the job. They don't look at personality or any of that. If there is such a candidate, even if they are not as "good of a fit" as the foreign applicant, then the LMIA will be refused.

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
ESDC is charged with protecting the Canadian job market for Canadian citizens and PRs. They care about whether there is a qualified Canadian citizen/PR applicant that possesses the education, skills and training to do the job. They don't look at personality or any of that. If there is such a candidate, even if they are not as "good of a fit" as the foreign applicant, then the LMIA will be refused.
So the best option is to wait for a job offer from Express Entry pool.
It's not worth for international students to look for a job in Canada since LMIA is almost impossible to get.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Bruno V. S. said:
So the best option is to wait for a job offer from Express Entry pool.
It's not worth for international students to look for a job in Canada since LMIA is almost impossible to get.
If the employer has to report every applicant for ESDC to determine there's no Canadian/PR qualified for the job, then yeah, virtually no one would want to do that. This just throws your hiring freedom out of the window.

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
ZingyDNA said:
If the employer has to report every applicant for ESDC to determine there's no Canadian/PR qualified for the job, then yeah, virtually no one would want to do that. This just throws your hiring freedom out of the window.
canuck_in_uk said:
Guys, I know this process is going to change, but check this out:

www.welcomebc.ca/ Immigrate/ About-the-BC-PNP/ Express-Entry-British-Columbia/ Express-Entry-British-Columbia-Skilled-Workers.aspx (Remove spaces after the "/"s)
www.welcomebc.ca/ Immigrate/ About-the-BC-PNP/ For-Employers/ Eligible-Employers.aspx (Remove spaces after the "/"s)

The "BC Provincial Nominee Program" is very similar, actually it's easier than the process we've been talking about here.

Note that LMIA in this case is not necessary.

And I think the changes in this process is going to make everything easier.