+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job offer and LMO

JHow16

Mar 18, 2018
Hi there,

My partner and I are looking to move to Alberta (calgary area) from the UK with our 2 young children. We have friends that live there and have visited before.

We both work in skill level C jobs, however my partner is a Truck driver over here. I understand there is a need for long haul truck drivers in Alberta? I also understand that if you have a job offer it is worth around 200 points for express entry? Can he source his own job providing there is a LMO or does he need to go down a specific route to try for a job offer? Is a job offer only valid for a certain length of time?

We've looked at the possibility of him going over on a work permit with the intention of applying for express entry once there but what sort of visa would myself and the kids go over on? I know because we are from UK we are visa exempt but can only stay for 6 months. Ideally we don't want to split our family and I'm afraid that the length of time it would take to get PR would mean that myself and the kids would have to come home, therefore splitting our family for an unknown period of time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm so confused about what we need to do!

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

My partner and I are looking to move to Alberta (calgary area) from the UK with our 2 young children. We have friends that live there and have visited before.

We both work in skill level C jobs, however my partner is a Truck driver over here. I understand there is a need for long haul truck drivers in Alberta? I also understand that if you have a job offer it is worth around 200 points for express entry? Can he source his own job providing there is a LMO or does he need to go down a specific route to try for a job offer? Is a job offer only valid for a certain length of time?

We've looked at the possibility of him going over on a work permit with the intention of applying for express entry once there but what sort of visa would myself and the kids go over on? I know because we are from UK we are visa exempt but can only stay for 6 months. Ideally we don't want to split our family and I'm afraid that the length of time it would take to get PR would mean that myself and the kids would have to come home, therefore splitting our family for an unknown period of time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm so confused about what we need to do!

Thank you
Express Entry is for skill level A, B and 0 occupations. So points are only given for work experience and job offers in an occupation with one of these skills levels. You won't get any points for a job offer that's in a skill level C occupation - and also no points for skill level C work experience.

You will face a similar challenge when it comes to a work permit. Your spouse and children can apply to accompany you to Canada if you hold a work permit in a skill level A, B or 0 occupation - in fact the spouse can apply for an open work permit. This unfortunately doesn't apply to individuals holding work permits in skill level C occupations.

He cannot source his own job. He needs to find an employer willing to hire him and then that employer needs to apply for an LMIA. Your husband cannot apply for an LMIA himself - only an employer can apply.

I would recommend you research the Alberta PNP immigration program. There may be a path there for NOC C occupations.

JHow16

Mar 18, 2018
Express Entry is for skill level A, B and 0 occupations. So points are only given for work experience and job offers in an occupation with one of these skills levels. You won't get any points for a job offer that's in a skill level C occupation - and also no points for skill level C work experience.

You will face a similar challenge when it comes to a work permit. Your spouse and children can apply to accompany you to Canada if you hold a work permit in a skill level A, B or 0 occupation - in fact the spouse can apply for an open work permit. This unfortunately doesn't apply to individuals holding work permits in skill level C occupations.

He cannot source his own job. He needs to find an employer willing to hire him and then that employer needs to apply for an LMIA. Your husband cannot apply for an LMIA himself - only an employer can apply.

I would recommend you research the Alberta PNP immigration program. There may be a path there for NOC C occupations.
Thanks for your reply. His previous job was skill level 0 and he has 5+ years experience of this skill level within the last 10 years but is no longer working in that job and hasn't for the last 2 years. I can't work out whether this means he would still get points for that work experience as it was in the last 10 years?

So basically to gain enough points he would need AINP? I've read through all the info on there several times but struggling to make sense of that too. Can he only apply for PNP if he is already working in that province or can it be done from UK?

So if he is able to apply for a work permit with a job to go to we could only go over as visitors for up to 6 months. Is it possible to apply for an extension on that?

Thank you for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply. His previous job was skill level 0 and he has 5+ years experience of this skill level within the last 10 years but is no longer working in that job and hasn't for the last 2 years. I can't work out whether this means he would still get points for that work experience as it was in the last 10 years?

So basically to gain enough points he would need AINP? I've read through all the info on there several times but struggling to make sense of that too. Can he only apply for PNP if he is already working in that province or can it be done from UK?

So if he is able to apply for a work permit with a job to go to we could only go over as visitors for up to 6 months. Is it possible to apply for an extension on that?

Thank you for your help.
I would recommend you join the PNP section of the forum to ask questions about that program.

Sure - you could come as visitors. How long you are allowed into Canada will be up to the CBSA officer at the border. You may be given six months or you may not. And yes - you can apply for an extension. Keep in mind that as visitors to Canada you will not be able to work and you & your kids will not be covered under Canada's health care program. You'll want to take out private insurance to cover yourselves for emergencies and you'll need to pay for any non-emergency care (e.g. regular doctor appointments) out of your own pocket. Also, depending on your children's age, they won't be able to attend school as visitors. You'll need to obtain study permits for them and be prepared to pay around $15K for each in tuition per year. So you'll need to factor all of that into your plans.

JHow16

Mar 18, 2018
I would recommend you join the PNP section of the forum to ask questions about that program.

Sure - you could come as visitors. How long you are allowed into Canada will be up to the CBSA officer at the border. You may be given six months or you may not. And yes - you can apply for an extension. Keep in mind that as visitors to Canada you will not be able to work and you & your kids will not be covered under Canada's health care program. You'll want to take out private insurance to cover yourselves for emergencies and you'll need to pay for any non-emergency care (e.g. regular doctor appointments) out of your own pocket. Also, depending on your children's age, they won't be able to attend school as visitors. You'll need to obtain study permits for them and be prepared to pay around $15K for each in tuition per year. So you'll need to factor all of that into your plans.
OK, I'll find the PNP forum and ask in there.

In regards to schooling I've read the following
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=488&top=15
This gives the impression that tuition fees would not need to be paid if at least one parent was on an authorised work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OK, I'll find the PNP forum and ask in there.

In regards to schooling I've read the following
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=488&top=15
This gives the impression that tuition fees would not need to be paid if at least one parent was on an authorised work permit?
Yes - looks like you're right about schooling. It doesn't have to be a NOC A, B or 0 job.

Make sure you look into the health insurance. The three of you don't want to be here without emergency medical coverage. Things can get extremely expensive fast.

JHow16

Mar 18, 2018
Yes - looks like you're right about schooling. It doesn't have to be a NOC A, B or 0 job.

Make sure you look into the health insurance. The three of you don't want to be here without emergency medical coverage. Things can get extremely expensive fast.
Yes will definitely look into that. Thanks for the advice.

SHAZ110

Jun 1, 2017
Hi
guys i have recieved an invitation to apply on job in my job bank id from Canadian recruitment agency, what does it mean ? or its normal to recieve such invitations ?