+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Hunting in Canada- Some tips

jawadahmed6065

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
Hi,

A lot has been posted on this forum regarding job hunting and below is my personal experience so far. Hope this may help you in finding job in your area.

You can try applying from outside Canada but with my personal experience, be in Canada and then release yourself to recruiters. They are smart enough to judge you are in canada or outside. Plus its very dynamic recruiting here.

Below are some of my personal experience and the recruitment which contacted me..

1. The best is monster. I have uploaded only in monster and been contacted from some recruiters of my field. So the best is to upload with respect to your area and experties and let them contact you. I was not even daily tracking the job postings over there in monster. I was not very active (am a bit lazy !!!).
2. It solely depend in which area you are in. Recruiters usually call you for the jobs near to your address on your resume.
3. Some recruiters are having federal presence but mostly are provincials
4. The most important tip which I have learnt after quite some time is that never apply directly to the carrier web sites of employer. Go through recruiter. As applying directly takes you through HR and through recruiter takes you directly to hiring manager. This is very very important. And once your Resume is in the database of employer when you apply directly on their carrier web site, thats it, you can never go through recruiter.
5. Recruiters are smart enough to judge that are you having a physical presence in canada or remotely connected from outside canada (through ip phone, roaming phone, voice mail etc).
6. The market here is very cool and process takes some time. At the same time it is very very dynamic. You might can be contacted for an interview with recruiter in the morning, with employer in the evening and they can ask you to join very next day...Some opportunities are overnight and that is where our luck clicks as no body on job is available to join very next day. Search out such opportunities.
7. In canada, never use the word CV, the official is Resume.
8. Resume should be maximum of 2 pages and should be in canadian style.
9. Always apply with updated modified Resume with updating it to requirements of the job posted. Try to have as much match as possible as recruiters are usually non technical and just see the match. But at the same time you need to be confident enough to convince the employer in the interview (if you happen to be called by employer)
10. GTA is the best market to start with as this is having much bigger job market (a little bit more competition)
11. Don't get yourself confused with sailing in two boats. Just be positive minded, have faith and proceed to Canada with full focus on establishing your new life in Canada. This is more applicable to all friends who are coming leaving their jobs in middle east.
12. try to be in pace by upgrading your education, certifications which are recognized in Canada.
13. Below are some of the recruiters..

monster.ca
www.workopolis.com/
indeed.ca

In addition to that linkedin is very handy for professional level. Try to expand your network in linkedin with canadian professionals of your field. A plethora of people has got job only through linkedin.

Note: Not necessarily that you will not get your first job in your area; may be tough but not impossible. At least for initial couple of months, try to find job in your own area. A lot of people I know who landed and recruited in their own areas in their very first months of landing with having no Canadian education or Canadian experience at all. So have faith and do not get panic. There are jobs, you just need to find one written for you. Sooner or later, you will get it. Its only a matter of time. Important is, keep on trying upgrading your credentials to Canadians in case you are having difficulty finding job.

Hope this helps. Should you have any question, please do let me know.

Regards

aaycee

Dec 27, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2010
Doc's Request.
Document Submitted: 17-03-11
AOR Received.
2nd AOR: 18-2-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
25-02-11
Med's Done....
9-03-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-02-11
VISA ISSUED...
22-7-11
LANDED..........
4th October 2011 Winnipeg :)
thanks dear friend...
Very informative and boosting post...

Regards
AC

Mezo2009

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
Oct 2011
Great advice. Thanks Jawad. Indeed, +1 for you.

Hope your advice guide all immigrants to land on jobs quickly.

Cheers

mayankpandya

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2011.
Doc's Request.
PER on 24- MAR- 2011.
AOR Received.
20-APRIL-2011
File Transfer...
In-Process on 30 May 2011
Med's Request
14 July 2011
Med's Done....
22 July 2011
Passport Req..
14 -Jul- 2011 Passport send on 26-Jul-11
VISA ISSUED...
29-AUG-11
LANDED..........
16-OCT-11
Really good information provided by you.

Can you please post as much as jobsite link & if possible resume format for canada style ?

Regards
Mayank

jawadahmed6065 said:
Hi,

A lot has been posted on this forum regarding job hunting and below is my personal experience so far. Hope this may help you in finding job in your area.

You can try applying from outside Canada but with my personal experience, be in Canada and then release yourself to recruiters. They are smart enough to judge you are in canada or outside. Plus its very dynamic recruiting here.

Below are some of my personal experience and the recruitment which contacted me..

1. The best is monster. I have uploaded only in monster and been contacted from some recruiters of my field. So the best is to upload with respect to your area and experties and let them contact you. I was not even daily tracking the job postings over there in monster. I was not very active (am a bit lazy !!!).
2. It solely depend in which area you are in. Recruiters usually call you for the jobs near to your address on your resume.
4. The most important tip which I have learnt after quite some time is that never apply directly to the carrier web sites of employer. Go through recruiter. As applying directly takes you through HR and through recruiter takes you directly to hiring manager. This is very very important. And once your Resume is in the database of employer when you apply directly on their carrier web site, thats it, you can never go through recruiter.
5. Recruiters are smart enough to judge that are you having a physical presence in canada or remotely connected from outside canada (through ip phone, roaming phone, voice mail etc).
6. The market here is very cool and process takes some time. At the same time it is very very dynamic. You might can be contacted for an interview with recruiter in the morning, with employer in the evening and they can ask you to join very next day...Some opportunities are overnight and that is where our luck clicks as no body on job is available to join very next day. Search out such opportunities.
9. Always apply with updated modified Resume with updating it to requirements of the job posted. Try to have as much match as possible as recruiters are usually non technical and just see the match. But at the same time you need to be confident enough to convince the employer in the interview (if you happen to be called by employer)
10. GTA is the best market to start with as this is having much bigger job market (a little bit more competition)
11. Don't get yourself confused with sailing in two boats. Just be positive minded, have faith and proceed to Canada with full focus on establishing your new life in Canada. This is more applicable to all friends who are coming leaving their jobs in middle east.
12. try to be in pace by upgrading your education, certifications which are recognized in Canada.

monster.ca
www.workopolis.com/
indeed.ca

In addition to that linkedin is very handy for professional level. Try to expand your network in linkedin with canadian professionals of your field. A plethora of people has got job only through linkedin.

Note: Not necessarily that you will not get your first job in your area; may be tough but not impossible. At least for initial couple of months, try to find job in your own area. A lot of people I know who landed and recruited in their own areas in their very first months of landing with having no Canadian education or Canadian experience at all. So have faith and do not get panic. There are jobs, you just need to find one written for you. Sooner or later, you will get it. Its only a matter of time. Important is, keep on trying upgrading your credentials to Canadians in case you are having difficulty finding job.

Regards

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jawadahmed6065 said:
Hi,

monster.ca
www.workopolis.com/
indeed.ca

Regards
Nice one........+1.......... :)

mni

Mar 7, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-Jun-2013
Thanks for the informative post. +1 from my side too

jawadahmed6065

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
Mezo2009 said:
Great advice. Thanks Jawad. Indeed, +1 for you.

Hope your advice guide all immigrants to land on jobs quickly.

Cheers
Thanks Mezo2009. This is the beauty of this forum which enables us to move forward in the deepest of depression and at times when situtaion seems to be abysmal. Hope my post can contribute to boost morale of all new immigrants to settle down smoothly. Good luck to all.

Regards

quebecity

Aug 28, 2011
This is very good.
Thanks.

Can someone please post their job search experience, especially in IT in Quebec.

-QC

niravk

Jul 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jawadahmed6065 said:
Thanks Mezo2009. This is the beauty of this forum which enables us to move forward in the deepest of depression and at times when situtaion seems to be abysmal. Hope my post can contribute to boost morale of all new immigrants to settle down smoothly. Good luck to all.

Regards
Hi Jawadahmed

Very nice and informative piece of information on tips to find a job in Canada. It would be great if you can help me with this
Hi

Can anyone help me with this..!!

If I know french, how difficult it would be to find myslef any ground level job (at gas stations, malls, customer service executive etc) after immigrating to Canada. What are the minimum wages if you have any idea. This is essentially to support myself initially soon after landing.

Thanks