+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job change for CEC

despoboy1234

Mar 25, 2021
Hey everyone,

i read through all the threads here regarding 1 year CEC continuous experience. My conclusion is that the experience doesn’t need to be continuous for eligibility but you won’t get CRS points if the experience is not continuous.

here’s the thing- I complete my 1 year continuous experience on 27th September. I have a new job offer that requires me to join on 12th of September (Monday).

if I end my current job on 9th September (Friday) and start the new job on 12th Sept (Monday), will that be considered as a break? I just have the weekend between the two jobs.

thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey everyone,

i read through all the threads here regarding 1 year CEC continuous experience. My conclusion is that the experience doesn’t need to be continuous for eligibility but you won’t get CRS points if the experience is not continuous.

here’s the thing- I complete my 1 year continuous experience on 27th September. I have a new job offer that requires me to join on 12th of September (Monday).

if I end my current job on 9th September (Friday) and start the new job on 12th Sept (Monday), will that be considered as a break? I just have the weekend between the two jobs.

thanks
CEC or Canadian experience doesn’t need to be continious, only FSW.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You don’t need the experience to be continuous for eligibility but you will not get the in canada work experience points in CRS.
What? To be eligible for CEC you need one year of full-time Canadian experience IN Canada in a NOC A, B or 0 job within last 3 years.

• have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply—you can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time work:for example 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
      • You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement.
    • full-time work at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Reactions: klubsoda

despoboy1234

Mar 25, 2021
Yeah read my comment. You are “ELIGIBLE” to apply under CEC but if your work experience is not continuous, then you will not get the in canada work experience points. So you can have an Express Entry profile with lower points. There’s a lot of threads on this if you’re curious

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yeah read my comment. You are “ELIGIBLE” to apply under CEC but if your work experience is not continuous, then you will not get the in canada work experience points. So you can have an Express Entry profile with lower points. There’s a lot of threads on this if you’re curious
No that is not true. You can be eligible for just CEC, and not be eligible for FSW which requires one year of continuous skilled work experience. So if you are not yet eligible for CEC with one year of Canadian work experience then you must be eligible for FSW to submit a profile. So if you don’t have one year of Canadian experience (doesn’t have to be continious) until end of September and aren’t eligible for FSW then you can’t submit a profile until after September 27.

And you are posting a link from 2015…things have changed.

Reactions: klubsoda

despoboy1234

Mar 25, 2021
No that is not true. You can be eligible for just CEC, and not be eligible for FSW which requires one year of continuous skilled work experience. So if you are not yet eligible for CEC with one year of Canadian work experience then you must be eligible for FSW to submit a profile. So if you don’t have one year of Canadian experience (doesn’t have to be continious) until end of September and aren’t eligible for FSW then you can’t submit a profile until after September 27.

And you are posting a link from 2015…things have changed.
I know I’ll be eligible on 27th September under CEC. But if my work experience is not continuous, I will not get points for in canada work experience and will have a lower CRS score. My question was that does changing jobs make my experience to be non-continuous or not.

if you have any more questions about the continuous part, please reference the thread I linked above

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I know I’ll be eligible on 27th September under CEC. But if my work experience is not continuous, I will not get points for in canada work experience and will have a lower CRS score. My question was that does changing jobs make my experience to be non-continuous or not.
Where do you read that Canadian experience in Canada has to be continuous? Please post the link from the IRCC site stating this I provided you with the CEC work requirement above. Below is the operating instructions. No where does it read continuous, just within last 3 years. FSW - yes. So I guess I don’t understand what you are asking because in September you will only one year experience with two jobs, and doesn’t matter if there are breaks. So I will sign off. Not sure if CEC draws will happen anytime soon.

Applicants must have at least 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months before the date of application receipt [R87.1(2)(a)].

In addition, during that period of employment, the applicant must have both:

• performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation(s) as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R87.1(2)(b)]; and
  • performed a substantial number of the main duties, including all the essential duties, of the occupation(s) as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R87.1(2)(c)].
Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (for example, work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits) [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in the Global Case Management System (GCMS).