+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Jewellery Declaration

IcarusZN

Oct 17, 2017
Hey guys,

We landed as first time immigrant couple of months ago. When we arrived we had 3000 CAD in cash, clothes and gold jewellery that would be roughly around 7000 CAD. We filled a form, and I don't remember which form it was, and we selected the option where it says that the amount doesn't exceed 10,000 CAD. Because our total value of products didnt exceed 10,000 CAD as first time immigrant we didn't think to research about any form. Now we have come to know about this particular form

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.pdf

We neither filled this form nor did we take any pictures of our jewellery or cash.

Can you tell me what should I do next?
Should I call Canada Border Service Agency? Will I have to pay tax and/or duty when i take some jewellery with me?

In case I want to take some piece of jewellery with me to my home country during vacations.

Thanks

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
You are fine with the jewelry you already brought into Canada. There is no need to inform CBSA retroactively. If you are taking expensive jewelry with you on vacation, you can have those jewelry register with CBSA at the airport.