+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2024 Citizenship Applications

Gsandhu87

Jan 4, 2024
Hello
I logged in to my Citizenship Application tracker today (Jan 4, 2024) and found out that both my husband I have been invited to take the Citizenship Oath on Feb 5, 2024. We have not received any official email invitation yet. My husband is also travelling outside the country from Feb 19 to Mar 8. I have two questions if you can answer please.
1. How late can I expect to receive an official email invitation about the citizenship oath ceremony?
2. If he is travelling and cannot cut his PR card during the ceremony (knowing that he still needs to come back into the country using his PR card), are there any alternatives to this? Can he not cut his PR card? Or will we have to request to move the ceremony date?

Please advise. Thank you !

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello
I logged in to my Citizenship Application tracker today (Jan 4, 2024) and found out that both my husband I have been invited to take the Citizenship Oath on Feb 5, 2024. We have not received any official email invitation yet. My husband is also travelling outside the country from Feb 19 to Mar 8. I have two questions if you can answer please.
1. How late can I expect to receive an official email invitation about the citizenship oath ceremony?
2. If he is travelling and cannot cut his PR card during the ceremony (knowing that he still needs to come back into the country using his PR card), are there any alternatives to this? Can he not cut his PR card? Or will we have to request to move the ceremony date?

Please advise. Thank you !
1. A week before the ceremony you should have your email, else contact IRCC
2. Once you take oath you need to cut the PR card and cannot use it for travel. Reschedule if not for serious reason is not accepted by IRCC. Also sometimes it can take upwards of 6 months to get a new date. Better would be take Oath on Feb 5 and apply for urgent passport.

Gsandhu87

Jan 4, 2024
1. A week before the ceremony you should have your email, else contact IRCC
2. Once you take oath you need to cut the PR card and cannot use it for travel. Reschedule if not for serious reason is not accepted by IRCC. Also sometimes it can take upwards of 6 months to get a new date. Better would be take Oath on Feb 5 and apply for urgent passport.
Thank you for your response.
The time between the oath and travel date is very short. Applying for a Canadian passport urgently may not work for our situation as that would mean that we would need a visa on the Canadian passport whereas currently we don’t need to meet that requirement as an Indian passport holder travelling to India.
I am guessing our best bet would be to ask IRCC to reschedule it.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you for your response.
The time between the oath and travel date is very short. Applying for a Canadian passport urgently may not work for our situation as that would mean that we would need a visa on the Canadian passport whereas currently we don’t need to meet that requirement as an Indian passport holder travelling to India.
I am guessing our best bet would be to ask IRCC to reschedule it.
You get e-visa within 24 hours and with your travel tickets you will also get passport urgently.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
the link below says processing time of e-visa is average 4 days I feel like that’s cutting it too close given the business days between oath and travel

https://www.hciottawa.gov.in/pages?id=12&subid=70
If you apply in the morning by night you have your evisa. As everything is online its really quick.
End of the day its your wish but rescheduling is a very tricky slope. I wouldn't suggest anyone to go that path.

marioB96

Sep 15, 2020
Regina
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
21 March 2019
Doc's Request.
14 July 2020
AOR Received.