+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2023 - Citizenship Applications

CABA

Jan 14, 2016
He had answered my emails and said he had monitored his email while away. I think he’s under the impression it will be sent directly to him which is why I sent back the instructions and a step by step :p
I just spoke to an agent that said it should be available today at the latest so he sent me a link to create a portal account (I don’t have one or an invite code so I couldn’t make one) so I can try to download it myself.
what kind of immigration agent is that if you have to coach them on the process. tell him to join this forum to gain some understanding!

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
He had answered my emails and said he had monitored his email while away. I think he’s under the impression it will be sent directly to him which is why I sent back the instructions and a step by step :p
I just spoke to an agent that said it should be available today at the latest so he sent me a link to create a portal account (I don’t have one or an invite code so I couldn’t make one) so I can try to download it myself.
Create an account here to download eCert: https://portal-portail.apps.cic.gc.ca/signin?lang=en

Invite code:https://ircc.canada.ca/visit-visiter/en/get-account-ircc-portal

GoodnewsToday

Apr 28, 2023
Hi, quick question, can I attend citizenship ceremony while being outside Canada? I have many travel plans starting September and that pending application is bugging me mentally
No you can’t , but email them and ask about when you will expect your oath might be in the way

please once you get BG completed update is I guess you and few here are waiting as well as me and since yours stated early March you might get it completed early September , but mine started end of March so , if you get yours early September that will give me hope that I will getting it soon

Reactions: Keyjoe23

Americanwife94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
it won't help because the email has to be the same as your application which in her case will be the representative's email
The agent was able to link my email somehow so I was able to create an account and get my e-certificate.
BUT
It’s in my maiden name.
We included proof of name change (marriage certificate) with my married name on my updated PR card, US passport, Drivers license, Health card, all of it. I’m so frustrated, should I email the e-certificate team to have it changed to my married name? I just don’t understand because everything in this application has been in my married name and now my maiden name shows up on my e-certificate.
I let my representative know. I thought about being petty and waiting to see how long it took him to get me the certificate himself, but now I have this issue to deal with.
If I’m ever arrested will I show up as a citizen under my married name? Or just my old name? Anyone know how that works?

I know I can apply for a passport with my old name on citizenship certificate now and have name changed to married name with a marriage certificate. But I think I would feel better if the e-cert was just in my married name.

Any advice from anyone? Calling out to @shiremag

Last edited:

Nousernamesadface

May 15, 2019
The agent was able to link my email somehow so I was able to create an account and get my e-certificate.
BUT
It’s in my maiden name.
We included proof of name change (marriage certificate) with my married name on my updated PR card, US passport, Drivers license, Health card, all of it. I’m so frustrated, should I email the e-certificate team to have it changed to my married name? I just don’t understand because everything in this application has been in my married name and now my maiden name shows up on my e-certificate.
I let my representative know. I thought about being petty and waiting to see how long it took him to get me the certificate himself, but now I have this issue to deal with.
If I’m ever arrested will I show up as a citizen under my married name? Or just my old name? Anyone know how that works?

I know I can apply for a passport with my old name on citizenship certificate now and have name changed to married name with a marriage certificate. But I think I would feel better if the e-cert was just in my married name.

Any advice from anyone? Calling out to @shiremag
It doesn't matter, get your passport in your married name. Just look at the passport application, it's simple.

Reactions: Americanwife94

Americanwife94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
It doesn't matter, get your passport in your married name. Just look at the passport application, it's simple.
Thank you for your reply! I was told that the certificate is issued in the name on the COPR, and you can have the Citizenship cert updated to a new name but it’s not necessary now as the passport office will accept name change documents to support a different name on your citizenship certificate when the past they had to match. Once you get your passport you will use that 98% of the time to support proof of citizenship.

Nousernamesadface

May 15, 2019
Thank you for your reply! I was told that the certificate is issued in the name on the COPR, and you can have the Citizenship cert updated to a new name but it’s not necessary now as the passport office will accept name change documents to support a different name on your citizenship certificate when the past they had to match. Once you get your passport you will use that 98% of the time to support proof of citizenship.
If you wanted it issued in the new name, you should have answered yes to the question that has your name been changed since becoming PR and provide documents. For married names though, it shouldn't matter, when you are filling a passport application, provide your date of marriage and ask for married name to be used.

Americanwife94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
If you wanted it issued in the new name, you should have answered yes to the question that has your name been changed since becoming PR and provide documents. For married names though, it shouldn't matter, when you are filling a passport application, provide your date of marriage and ask for married name to be used.
I did, and submitted multiple IDs with my new name plus my marriage certificate and an updated US passport with my new name. My affirmation of oath form and all communication to me has been addressed in my married name. Seems to just be an oversight.

Nousernamesadface

May 15, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: Americanwife94

Americanwife94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
Email the e-certificate team, they might be able to fix it.

IRCC.ECertificatePilot-PiloteCertificatE.IRCC@cic.gc.ca
I thought about it, but according to my rep (who emailed me at 7:30 on a Saturday morning after ghosting me all week?) the general rule is that the COPR and Cit Cert should have the same name. I don’t know what to do or if I care to have it changed. I’d love for it to be in my married name but it seems like it would be purely for my satisfaction at this point. I can get the cad passport in my married name no problem, I just like my boxes checked, T’s crossed, I’s dotted, ducks in a row.
I’ve read of multiple people waiting until they get their Cit Cert, get their passport and then reapply to have the name changed on the cit cert. I just don’t think I care to deal with IRCC again.
I appreciate your advice and wish you a speedy finish to your citizenship journey!

Nousernamesadface

May 15, 2019
I thought about it, but according to my rep (who emailed me at 7:30 on a Saturday morning after ghosting me all week?) the general rule is that the COPR and Cit Cert should have the same name. I don’t know what to do or if I care to have it changed. I’d love for it to be in my married name but it seems like it would be purely for my satisfaction at this point. I can get the cad passport in my married name no problem, I just like my boxes checked, T’s crossed, I’s dotted, ducks in a row.
I’ve read of multiple people waiting until they get their Cit Cert, get their passport and then reapply to have the name changed on the cit cert. I just don’t think I care to deal with IRCC again.
I appreciate your advice and wish you a speedy finish to your citizenship journey!
The rep is wrong, if you said your name has changed since becoming a PR, it must be issued in the new name. Are you sure the rep checked the correct boxes?

Americanwife94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
The rep is wrong, if you said your name has changed since becoming a PR, it must be issued in the new name. Are you sure the rep checked the correct boxes?
After checking, I see:
Q4: Your full name on COPR or last PR card: “AmericanMaidenName”

(Maiden name is on COPR, married name is on last PR card issued as I had this updated in summer last year) so both answers would be right.

Have you changed name since becoming PR?: “Yes, AmericanMarriedName”
(Marriage certificate was sent to support as well as multiple updated IDs)

I’m guessing that because Q4 is answered with my maiden name per COPR and not married name as per latest PR card is why my certificate was issued in my old name.

Technically the questions is answered correctly. At the end of the day, I have a valid citizenship certificate that I can use to get a passport and a birth cert and a marriage cert to show who I am. This whole process has caused so much anxiety for me that I think I’ll just let this go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nousernamesadface