+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

<<<<<<<<<<JANUARY 2023 AOR>>>>>>>>>>

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
It is an unfortunate situation, but IRCC does seem to award applicants being proactive with all the tools at their disposal, including mandamus. Probably because going to court bites into their strained legal budget, more than turning a blind eye, and give people their PPRs without waiting for SS to finish. IRCC does often dig in their heels against applicants with more red flags.

No, they won't renew my visa while under SS.

I come from a certain country hit hard by SS. I am in contact with hundreds of other people in the same demographic via Whatsapp groups. Dozens have filed mandamus, and have kept the rest of the group updated.

I regret if I come across as unduly impatient with IRCC. That is because I have barely lived in my country of birth as an adult, and deep down I feel their arbitrary witch hunt has gone too far. Again, thank you for your concern with my well being.
I get your sentiment, but unlikely what you are saying is true. Very unlikely that IRCC will bend your way with someone filing a paperwork this year. I saw somewhere that you'll file Writ of Mandamus next year, that may have chances, but unlikely you'll get any results right now.

No one is witch hunting you as of now. It may feel arbitrary, imperfect, etc but it is a system that's going to protect us future Canadians from threats. As imperfect as it is, it is saving Canadians from actual threats for now.

From those that are in the Whatsapp group you talk about, how many have been successful with Writ of Mandamus?

The biggest factor is that you are classified as SS, that negates any chances that a judge will say that they uselessly held up to your application.

qdee

Star Member
Mar 24, 2023
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
28-04-2023
I get your sentiment, but unlikely what you are saying is true. Very unlikely that IRCC will bend your way with someone filing a paperwork this year. I saw somewhere that you'll file Writ of Mandamus next year, that may have chances, but unlikely you'll get any results right now.

No one is witch hunting you as of now. It may feel arbitrary, imperfect, etc but it is a system that's going to protect us future Canadians from threats. As imperfect as it is, it is saving Canadians from actual threats for now.

From those that are in the Whatsapp group you talk about, how many have been successful with Writ of Mandamus?

The biggest factor is that you are classified as SS, that negates any chances that a judge will say that they uselessly held up to your application.

It's all over chinese instagram, but most of them are study permit applicants. I've definitely seen a few cases where people were stuck in SS for months, then gets an Original Passport Request a few days after getting their notice of appearance. It might simply be an isolated coincidence, and since its on social media, you only need one successful screenshot to get people to start flocking.

It's not even arbitrary. If you're chinese and have a background in tech, especially AI related, you're probably in SS. Those business school students thrown in SS are the arbitrary ones.

To be honest I feel quite conflicted. On the one hand, these people are definitely abusing the writ of mandamus, and it's just wrong. On the other hand, I do think more people should voice their dissatisfaction, otherwise being chinese just means that you're a permanant spy suspect whenever they catch a new chinese spy in the US.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
It's all over chinese instagram, but most of them are study permit applicants. I've definitely seen a few cases where people were stuck in SS for months, then gets an Original Passport Request a few days after getting their notice of appearance. It might simply be an isolated coincidence, and since its on social media, you only need one successful screenshot to get people to start flocking.

It's not even arbitrary. If you're chinese and have a background in tech, especially AI related, you're probably in SS. Those business school students thrown in SS are the arbitrary ones.

To be honest I feel quite conflicted. On the one hand, these people are definitely abusing the writ of mandamus, and it's just wrong. On the other hand, I do think more people should voice their dissatisfaction, otherwise being chinese just means that you're a permanant spy suspect whenever they catch a new chinese spy in the US.
I completely understand how bad it could feel to have an identity we get because of our birth in a geography, live a clean life, and still be forced to bear the burden of the identity we can't do anything about. My response to OP was purely based on the cases I read here: https://www.canlii.org/en/ (quite a good way to access legal records btw).

Not sure if Writ of Mandamus is a good tool here by looking at the outcomes. Talking to MPs and representatives through the respective diaspora in Canada can yield a lot more value in the long term. These things unfortunately don't have a good short term solution.

qdee

Star Member
Mar 24, 2023
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
28-04-2023
I completely understand how bad it could feel to have an identity we get because of our birth in a geography, live a clean life, and still be forced to bear the burden of the identity we can't do anything about. My response to OP was purely based on the cases I read here: https://www.canlii.org/en/ (quite a good way to access legal records btw).

Not sure if Writ of Mandamus is a good tool here by looking at the outcomes. Talking to MPs and representatives through the respective diaspora in Canada can yield a lot more value in the long term. These things unfortunately don't have a good short term solution.
The point is that in these social media success stories, their applications get approved a few days after a court date is set, and they receive an email from IRCC requesting them to withraw their writ of mandamus. So you never go to court, therefore it is not reflected in these legal records.
Maybe it's simple confirmation bias, or maybe after a manual review the folks at IRCC thought SS was not warrented after all, since a lot of study permits are processed by AI systems. I don't think any of these work in EE though.

OP's already contacted an MP(mentioned in another thread). He seems pretty hardcore about this whole SS thing:D

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
The point is that in these social media success stories, their applications get approved a few days after a court date is set, and they receive an email from IRCC requesting them to withraw their writ of mandamus. So you never go to court, therefore it is not reflected in these legal records.
Maybe it's simple confirmation bias, or maybe after a manual review the folks at IRCC thought SS was not warrented after all, since a lot of study permits are processed by AI systems. I don't think any of these work in EE though.

OP's already contacted an MP(mentioned in another thread). He seems pretty hardcore about this whole SS thing:D
I believe that most of the time the application approval timeline is unrelated to what the applicant does. Most of the stories we read about are just coincidental. Surely if after mandamus and after a court date is set, that is more likely to be cause/effect, so in that sense a mandamus is effective.
What I really question is not the effectiveness of this strategy, but the fact that, with limited resources, IRCC officers can only process so many applications and forcing them to look at yours means that someone else will be waiting longer. This applies alto to other applicants which may be in SS and may not have the financial means to start a mandamus process.
The rules for additional security screening may not be fair, but if you know beforehand that you may be subjected to additional scrutiny, you should probably take that into account when planning for PR.

I personally thought several times about mandamus for my case, but in the end I just waited for my turn because I did not want to "jump the line" and delay other applications.

qdee

Star Member
Mar 24, 2023
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
28-04-2023
I believe that most of the time the application approval timeline is unrelated to what the applicant does. Most of the stories we read about are just coincidental. Surely if after mandamus and after a court date is set, that is more likely to be cause/effect, so in that sense a mandamus is effective.
What I really question is not the effectiveness of this strategy, but the fact that, with limited resources, IRCC officers can only process so many applications and forcing them to look at yours means that someone else will be waiting longer. This applies alto to other applicants which may be in SS and may not have the financial means to start a mandamus process.
The rules for additional security screening may not be fair, but if you know beforehand that you may be subjected to additional scrutiny, you should probably take that into account when planning for PR.

I personally thought several times about mandamus for my case, but in the end I just waited for my turn because I did not want to "jump the line" and delay other applications.
I definitely agree that you shouldn't try to jump the line! I also think it's one's right to start the mandamus process, and the burden is on IRCC to not let anyone jump the line.

Just to be clear the anecdotes I mentioned are study permit applications, not PR applications. I haven't seen any case where mandamus accelerated the progress of a PR application. I'm also personally not thinking about mandamus since I'm sitll early in the process, plus I'd consider it a waste of money and public resources. I just find it amusing that there's this huge split of opinions between chinese social media and english forums.

At the end of the day I think it depends on how much you trust IRCC. If you think they're corrupt, then the "delay others" logic would work the other way round, since if IRCC approved your application before SS is done because they misjudged whether you should have been thrown in SS, resources at the CSIS and CBSA will be freed off to work on other applications.

Reactions: xueshen0607

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
I definitely agree that you shouldn't try to jump the line! I also think it's one's right to start the mandamus process, and the burden is on IRCC to not let anyone jump the line.

Just to be clear the anecdotes I mentioned are study permit applications, not PR applications. I haven't seen any case where mandamus accelerated the progress of a PR application. I'm also personally not thinking about mandamus since I'm sitll early in the process, plus I'd consider it a waste of money and public resources. I just find it amusing that there's this huge split of opinions between chinese social media and english forums.

At the end of the day I think it depends on how much you trust IRCC. If you think they're corrupt, then the "delay others" logic would work the other way round, since if IRCC approved your application before SS is done because they misjudged whether you should have been thrown in SS, resources at the CSIS and CBSA will be freed off to work on other applications.
Yes, I totally understand your point. Only thing I would add is that it is unlikely that a mandamus will be accepted when the waiting time is in line with the expected one.

Loisie

Jul 18, 2019
Port Harcourt
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi!
AOR 24th Jan
ADR 27th July
Eligibility started on 14th Aug and ended on the 16th
Background completed on 18th Aug
Everything completed now.

I don’t see eCOPR number on my tracker nor received the approval email. PO is Etobicoke and secondary is Montreal.

Edit: just got my eCOPR number on tracker. Waiting for the portals now.

Anyone else with the same status?
Congrats to you

• Love
Reactions: stressedobviously

Babbal

Jul 21, 2012
Hi!
AOR 24th Jan
ADR 27th July
Eligibility started on 14th Aug and ended on the 16th
Background completed on 18th Aug
Everything completed now.

I don’t see eCOPR number on my tracker nor received the approval email. PO is Etobicoke and secondary is Montreal.

Edit: just got my eCOPR number on tracker. Waiting for the portals now.

Anyone else with the same status?
Yes, AOR -24th Jan,23. Nothing else

UKMRAR

Aug 25, 2023
AOR 6th Jan, 2023
All areas are completed on the tracker and also, can see COPR number and expiry since march 22 but still no PPR. Called IRCC agents twice, they say everything is completed and we just have to wait. It has more than 5 months since COPR number appeared and more than 8 since AOR. Is anyone else in the similar situation?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
AOR 6th Jan, 2023
All areas are completed on the tracker and also, can see COPR number and expiry since march 22 but still no PPR. Called IRCC agents twice, they say everything is completed and we just have to wait. It has more than 5 months since COPR number appeared and more than 8 since AOR. Is anyone else in the similar situation?
You should apply for GCMS/CBSA notes. Call IRCC agent again and ask if they sent your a RFV/PPR that you probably never received.

UKMRAR

Aug 25, 2023
You should apply for GCMS/CBSA notes. Call IRCC agent again and ask if they sent your a RFV/PPR that you probably never received.
We just called them a day before, the agent told us that everything is completed on our application and we just have to wait for the officer to send the PPR. They have been saying this since months now. Everything is completed! Still not sure what’s taking so long. Our COPR number will expire on 17 dec. So many decisions pending since we are waiting for PPR.
We have ordered GCMS and CBSA both on 15th of August but not sure if it will make any difference since different agents have already told us that everything is complete and final decision has been made on our profile. I guess We just have to wait for unforeseen time till we get PPR.

UKMRAR

Aug 25, 2023
We just called them a day before, the agent told us that everything is completed on our application and we just have to wait for the officer to send the PPR. They have been saying this since months now. Everything is completed! Still not sure what’s taking so long. Our COPR number will expire on 17 dec. So many decisions pending since we are waiting for PPR.
We have ordered GCMS and CBSA both on 15th of August but not sure if it will make any difference since different agents have already told us that everything is complete and final decision has been made on our profile. I guess We just have to wait for unforeseen time till we get PPR.
We also didn’t get any update on the tracker or GCkey account since 20th march.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Ah, I guess, waiting it is for you then!

UKMRAR

Aug 25, 2023
We also didn’t get any update on the tracker or GCkey account since 20th march.
Just today after so long got this update on the tracker, also the email saying something similar:
Application history
Aug 30, 2023
“We received the information you sent us.
We'll review it and let you know if we need any other information from you.”

But we never sent any information after the PR applications submission. Any idea what does this mean?