Physical Presence Days: 1,227
No of Applicants: Single
Application sent: January 12, 2022
Application delivered: January 12, 2022

DamhaSirah

May 6, 2016
Scarborough
Hi Guys,

I am about to become eligible for citizenship in first week of January. Let's connect here for tracking timelines and answering queries, those of you who are submitting the application in January 2022.
I submitted the citizenship application today few minutes ago! :) :)
Please add me to the tracker:

Application Type: Online
Physical Presence Days: 1,107
Application sent: January 15, 2022
Application delivered: January 15, 2022

wink

May 25, 2021
I feel this is not important at all, visiting another country during a less than 183 days absence does NOT require you to provide a police certificate in that country.
Looks like you never filled/used the Physical Presence Calculator.

This text is from the online calculator:

If you visited more than one country during the same absence, list the first country in 'Destination' and list the other countries in the 'Reason' field.

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
Hello,

I submitted the citizenship application yesterday! Could someone please add me to the tracker? Thanks!

Details below:

Application Type: Online
Physical Presence Days: 1,113
Application sent: January 15, 2022
Application delivered: January 15, 2022

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
Hi,

I am completing the citizenship application online. For the following question:
"Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status, and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)
  • Check either yes or no.
  • If you check yes, complete the chart.
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).
  • Date you obtained each status(YYYY-MM-DD)
  • End date if no longer valid, if applicable (YYYY-MM-DD). Leave blank if you currently hold this status"

I have the following two questions:
1. I traveled to several countries on visas. For the "date you obtained each status" and "end date", do I need to provide:
  • dates for which each visa was valid (for instance 5 years) OR
  • exact dates during which I visited a country (10 days) although the visa is valid for 5 years
2. Do I only need to provide information about immigration status for:
  • the 5-year eligibility period only OR
  • for my entire life?
Do I need to provide scans of visas and entry/exit stamps as well?

It'll be super helpful if you can clarify and reconfirm :)
Visas granted for tourism, pursuing education, or for temporary worker status (e.g. H1-B) are classified as non-immigrant visas. Having any of them for a country does not count as holding immigration status for that country. Immigration status is held for a country if you hold a green card, permanent residence, refugee or asylum status for a country. Here is a link from the international office of UC Berkeley explaining it for USA visas. The exact question in online application is "Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?" Based on this I don't think we need to provide details of any temporary visas that you might have held. I didn't. OTOH if you did hold an immigration status ever in your life, you have to provide that. For most people this means you have to provide details of your citizenship which is usually your country of birth too (for most people).

felix888

Mar 10, 2016
Looks like you never filled/used the Physical Presence Calculator.

This text is from the online calculator:

If you visited more than one country during the same absence, list the first country in 'Destination' and list the other countries in the 'Reason' field.
Online calculator never ask you to list all countries you travelled during your absence. Simply put the reason (work, visit family, etc.) is totally fine.

wink

May 25, 2021
Online calculator never ask you to list all countries you travelled during your absence. Simply put the reason (work, visit family, etc.) is totally fine.
Hmmm, I posted the exact lines from the online calculator, but still you make this statement.

blueberries2022

Jan 6, 2022
Question 13 of the online citizenship application:
"Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status, and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident, or citizen).
  • End date if no longer valid, if applicable (YYYY-MM-DD). Leave blank if you currently hold this status"

1. I traveled to several countries on visas. For the "date you obtained each status" and "end date", do I need to provide:
  • dates for which each visa was valid OR
  • exact dates during which I visited a country
2. Do I need to provide scans of visas and entry/exit stamps as well?

I'll appreciate if someone can explain how to best answer this

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident, or citizen).

Check my answer above.

wink

May 25, 2021

You would find conflicting answers to this question. But general practice advised by seniors in this forum is this:
- Declare all the visas irrespective of the types
- Declare visa dates per the document than the dates you entered/left a country. And sometimes you might have obtained different status after entering a country, for example, you can enter US as a student (J1) but you could obtained work status (approved petition while inside the country), in this please declare them as well. Even if a visa is obtained but you never travelled/used that visa, still better to declare it here.

Underlying logic here is that providing more information is better than less, as long as they are relevant. The context here is IRCC wants to know what are the countries/visa you had ties with and in what capacity.

And many get confused with US terminology of immigrant and non-immigrant status. But meaning of these terminology varies from country to country.

These views are just my opinion and based many discussions on this forum.

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
You would find conflicting answers to this question. But general practice advised by seniors in this forum is this:
- Declare all the visas irrespective of the types
- Declare visa dates per the document than the dates you entered/left a country. And sometimes you might have obtained different status after entering a country, for example, you can enter US as a student (J1) but you could obtained work status (approved petition while inside the country), in this please declare them as well. Even if a visa is obtained but you never travelled/used that visa, still better to declare it here.

Underlying logic here is that providing more information is better than less, as long as they are relevant. The context here is IRCC wants to know what are the countries/visa you had ties with and in what capacity.

And many get confused with US terminology of immigrant and non-immigrant status. But meaning of these terminology varies from country to country.

These views are just my opinion and based many discussions on this forum.
I still respectfully disagree with this analysis. Even Canada doesn't consider people on student/work/etc kind of visas as immigrants, see link. Also I know people who got their citizenship without providing details about all the visas they've ever held in their lifetime.

I'm sure IRCC has shown interest in such history for certain applicants (because of flags raised in background check or any other reason) but I don't believe they're interested in the visa history of all applicants. So IMO you don't need to provide such details but if you want to then of course there's no problem with providing more information.

Atlas13

Apr 16, 2017
British Columbia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
03-10-2017
AOR Received.
13-11-2017