+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2021 - Citizenship Applicants

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Hi all,
I am going to apply on Jan 2022 so asking this question to jan 2021 applicants.

when I keep my application date signed during jan month then in the form Question 14-Income tax information its showing 2021 tax year.Its too early to file tax returns, since I will get T4 in the month of feb-mar.So what's the correct approach to answer these questions

Required to file - yes or No
Taxes filed-Yes or No

Thanks
Required to file: If you’re required to file 2021 tax: yes, if not: no
Taxed file: no

Nov 1, 2016
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1 - 24-01-2017, AOR2 20-02-2017
File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
24-07-2017, further tests requested 13-08-2017
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017
Hi,
Please update my data.
In process: July 22, 2021
Test Invite: October 06, 2021
Test Interview: N/A
Decision Made: December 22, 2021
Oath Letter Date: December 22, 2021
Oath Ceremony: December 31, 2021

Thank you!
Updated for you. Congrats on getting your citizenship on Friday night! That was a pretty fast turn around, getting decision made on December 22nd, and the oath on the 31st! What date did you do your citizenship test?

Nov 1, 2016
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017
Any idea how long does it take to get oath ceremony details after all the sections are completed?
It often seems that you get decision made and an oath date within a week or two of everything being complete? But then occasionally, there is the odd one that doesn't get the oath in the first week or two, and then waits a long time to get an oath date.

Gorbv.01

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
Hi all,
I am going to apply on Jan 2022 so asking this question to jan 2021 applicants.

when I keep my application date signed during jan month then in the form Question 14-Income tax information its showing 2021 tax year.Its too early to file tax returns, since I will get T4 in the month of feb-mar.So what's the correct approach to answer these questions

Required to file - yes or No
Taxes filed-Yes or No

Thanks
It's a tricky question and i asked myself the same when I applied one year ago.
So I answered - NO, NO, since I had not yet submitted tax declaration for previous year and it was not yet the time to do it (until March).
Probably is such situations they understand the circumstances and they are more interested in previous years where you were supposed to submit in time.

Reactions: sureshcoim

ashboy

Aug 27, 2018
Hello All,

Paper application received: January 8, 2021
AOR: March 9, 2021
Finger print request: June 28, 2021
Background check complete: December 13, 2021
Test invite: December 20, 2021
Test completed: December 30, 2021

Physical presence, prohibitions, language skills, citizenship test: in progress
Citizenship ceremony: not started

Any idea how long it takes, on average, after the test is complete to get the oath letter? (i.e. am I looking at Feb/March or more like June/July?)

prt22

Star Member
Nov 7, 2017
Has anyone had any success with getting GCMS notes? We applied on November 2nd, followed up on December 2nd, a couple of days after the 30 day window. Heard back on December 8th saying it was being processed and we'd receive it shortly... Haven't heard anything since or received the GCMS.
thats definitely longer than expected. Have u received an email from them for time extension and if yes whats the duration of extension they asked for?

Here are some faqs:
https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/faq.do?caller=/atip/welcome.do
https://gcmsnotes.com/all-about-atip-time-extension/

If you think IRCC hasnt followed the proper procedure for extension, you can consider filing a complaint online: https://www.oic-ci.gc.ca/en/submitting-complaint

Nov 1, 2016
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017
thats definitely longer than expected. Have u received an email from them for time extension and if yes whats the duration of extension they asked for?

Here are some faqs:
https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/faq.do?caller=/atip/welcome.do
https://gcmsnotes.com/all-about-atip-time-extension/

If you think IRCC hasnt followed the proper procedure for extension, you can consider filing a complaint online: https://www.oic-ci.gc.ca/en/submitting-complaint
Ya, they didn't inform me of a time extension (which I know is required).

This was the automatic reply to my email on Dec 2 (about 35 days after my initial request):
IRCC currently has reduced operational capacity due to exceptional measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). As a result, there will be significant delays in responding to all requests under the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act, as well as any emails sent to this email address, during this period.

This was their more personalized reply, with no specific notice of extension, but just that it'll be soon (Dec 8th):
Thank you for contacting the Access to Information and Privacy Office.

We apologize for the delay in receiving your requested information. Your request has been reviewed and the records will be released to you shortly.

So yes, maybe it is worth a complaint as it has been more than 60 days since the original request, no notice of extension or how long the extension would be, and almost a month since they told me it would be "released shortly". Thanks for the link and suggestion!

Reactions: prt22 and Gorbv.01

Gorbv.01

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
I've just been called by my IRCC agent who said that they still did not receive my oath confirmation e-mail, while I have sent it same day.
So I have re-sent it and this time I received confirmation of receipt, and the agent confirmed that she has it.
She said that sometimes some e-mails could have issues, so please verify that you've received a confirmation.
My status in tracker was still the same as before the oath and I thought that it will be changed once the certificate is issued, so I just sent request to "standard hotline" where they have replied in a standard way - sit back and relax.
The bad thing though is that the agent said that due to remote working restrictions - she does not know when it will be possible to get to the office to print and send certificates. As they can process it remotely by the printing is "in person" :(
So another 4 weeks, may be more

Gorbv.01

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
I've just been called by my IRCC agent who said that they still did not receive my oath confirmation e-mail, while I have sent it same day.
So I have re-sent it and this time I received confirmation of receipt, and the agent confirmed that she has it.
She said that sometimes some e-mails could have issues, so please verify that you've received a confirmation.
My status in tracker was still the same as before the oath and I thought that it will be changed once the certificate is issued, so I just sent request to "standard hotline" where they have replied in a standard way - sit back and relax.
The bad thing though is that the agent said that due to remote working restrictions - she does not know when it will be possible to get to the office to print and send certificates. As they can process it remotely by the printing is "in person" :(
So another 4 weeks, may be more
ok, so the file is finally closed now.
Please pay attention to your oath e-mails - to get confirmation of receipt.

Reactions: prt22

Khu12345

Aug 12, 2016
Hi applied for citizenship (paper application) in Oct/Nov 2020, received AOR in Jan 2021. Background check was cleared in March 2021 and since then everything else is “In Progress”. My PR expires in May 2022 and I am not sure what to do. Would appreciate any guidance…thanks in advance.

prt22

Star Member
Nov 7, 2017
Hi applied for citizenship (paper application) in Oct/Nov 2020, received AOR in Jan 2021. Background check was cleared in March 2021 and since then everything else is “In Progress”. My PR expires in May 2022 and I am not sure what to do. Would appreciate any guidance…thanks in advance.
Did u mean that ur PR card expires in May 22? Cause ur PR status will never expire as long as you meet residency obligations but the PR card does expire every 5 years and u need to renew it. You can renew your PR card upto 6 months before it expires.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=065&top=10
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace.html

Now that being said u technically don't need a PR card to be a PR of Canada (as long as u meet other requirements). But if u plan to travel then u do need the card to come back to Canada using commercial modes of transportation. I would advise you to renew ur card anyways cause u never know when u have to leave the country for an emergency or other unforeseen circumstances. If u leave the country with an expired PR card, or ur card expires after u leave the country (before u come back) then u need a PRTD to come back to Canada (the only exception I can think of is if u come back using land border in ur car then u can get in by showing ur CoPR)

Khu12345

Aug 12, 2016
Did u mean that ur PR card expires in May 22? Cause ur PR status will never expire as long as you meet residency obligations but the PR card does expire every 5 years and u need to renew it. You can renew your PR card upto 6 months before it expires.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=065&top=10
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace.html

Now that being said u technically don't need a PR card to be a PR of Canada (as long as u meet other requirements). But if u plan to travel then u do need the card to come back to Canada using commercial modes of transportation. I would advise you to renew ur card anyways cause u never know when u have to leave the country for an emergency or other unforeseen circumstances. If u leave the country with an expired PR card, or ur card expires after u leave the country (before u come back) then u need a PRTD to come back to Canada (the only exception I can think of is if u come back using land border in ur car then u can get in by showing ur CoPR)
Thank you so much. Re: citizenship, I believe processing time is 12 months to get a citizenship from the time you get AOR. Is it normal to have no activity/update for 11 months? My background check was cleared in March 2021 and no update after that. Understand due to Covid things are slow but this seems to be moving at a snail pace. Is there a helpline I can call to check on status or is the best option is to keep waiting…