+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****January 2020 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

Annamurzik

May 26, 2020
Hi Guys,

Glad to see CBC covering our concern in the article

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/families-immigration-limbo-covid-sponsorship-1.5642787

it says "...Last week, he received an email from IRCC saying that only applications submitted before Feb. 12 were being processed. "
Damn... they haven't even got an AOR in 4 months. I have been waiting for only 2 months now and already get anxious . Not very positive news. Hope somebody will hire me on implied status. Do you guys have any chat groups where you share your thoughts and worries?

Wasp21

Feb 13, 2019
Hi all - wanted to share that we received our Medical Request today. Would MUCH rather have OWP than this, but at least there are some things happening...

Application Received: January 22, 2020
AOR: March 14, 2020
Biometrics Letter: June 23, 2020
Medical Request: July 14, 2020

Reactions: vaishnavgowni

SowAna

Feb 9, 2020
Hi all - wanted to share that we received our Medical Request today. Would MUCH rather have OWP than this, but at least there are some things happening...

Application Received: January 22, 2020
AOR: March 14, 2020
Biometrics Letter: June 23, 2020
Medical Request: July 14, 2020
Is biometric and medical requests through the website or did you receive a letter?

Wasp21

Feb 13, 2019
Hey all - another update: it looks like they've just announced today that temporary residence applications are now EXEMPT from biometrics due to COVID-19.

There has been a lot of speculation that this is what has been holding up OWP's, as the requirement for biometrics for work permits only came into law on December 3, 2019. It would explain why OWPs were being processed during the pandemic (albeit at a slower pace) up until early December applications, where they stopped.

Hopefully this means they will start approving OWPs for December/January applicants again.

Link to the IRCC page where they mention this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/biometrics.html#canada

Reactions: Underhill

gchan

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Hey all - another update: it looks like they've just announced today that temporary residence applications are now EXEMPT from biometrics due to COVID-19.

There has been a lot of speculation that this is what has been holding up OWP's, as the requirement for biometrics for work permits only came into law on December 3, 2019. It would explain why OWPs were being processed during the pandemic (albeit at a slower pace) up until early December applications, where they stopped.

Hopefully this means they will start approving OWPs for December/January applicants again.

Link to the IRCC page where they mention this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/biometrics.html#canada
I read the linked page you sent, where does it say that temporary residence applications are exempt?

My reading shows it only says that IRCC will not refuse the application (not that they will exempt the biometric requirement) and that the deadline to provide biometrics will be extended... Did something on the page change?

Wasp21

Feb 13, 2019
I read the linked page you sent, where does it say that temporary residence applications are exempt?

My reading shows it only says that IRCC will not refuse the application (not that they will exempt the biometric requirement) and that the deadline to provide biometrics will be extended... Did something on the page change?
Yes, it looks like they took it down this morning with no explanation - IRCC's incompetence continues. Here is a screenshot from when it was up:

gchan

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Yes, it looks like they took it down this morning with no explanation. Here was a screenshot from when it was up:

Wow, I was skeptical at first. Good thinking taking a screenshot!! And thank you for sharing. If anyone can call and ask about it, please share with the others.

Starting to get hopeful... Light at the end of the tunnel for our work permits and our loved ones work permits :)

Reactions: Jonathan Perez

abhijeets13

Jul 10, 2015
Hi Guys, So we submitted a web-form last weekend for the update on OWP and this is the response we got. The Application was submitted on Jan 27 2020 and AOR is March 19 2020. My Spouse 6 months got done on June 10 2020 and we already have applied her extension on May 10 2020.

Good day XXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Since we know that sponsoring or being sponsored by your spouse or common-law partner is an important event in your life, we want to ensure that you have all the information and tools at your disposal to make this process as easy and enjoyable as possible.

As of December 22, 2014, open work permits may be issued to eligible applicants under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class at an earlier stage in processing if they meet certain criteria. We verified the information on file. However, it has been determined that you do not meet the eligibility criteria.

Your application for the open work permit remains valid and will be processed once your sponsorship application is approved in principle.

The processing times indicated on our website are approximate, and can vary with each individual case.

Rest assured that we are aware of how important this next stage in your life is and that we are committed to processing your application as quickly as we can.

For more information on what to expect after a sponsorship application was submitted, please consult our website.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Tharcisse, agent 9999
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

Now we are totally lost. The post in threads across forum suggested the implied status is considered acceptable for processing OWP but the mail suggests otherwise. Given the current circumstance AIP will take atleast 10 more months as they are currently processing August 2019 files. ANy suggestions, what can we do in this situation.

Reactions: Jonathan Perez

Jonathan Perez

Nov 17, 2019
Hi Guys, So we submitted a web-form last weekend for the update on OWP and this is the response we got. The Application was submitted on Jan 27 2020 and AOR is March 19 2020. My Spouse 6 months got done on June 10 2020 and we already have applied her extension on May 10 2020.

Good day XXXXXXXXXXX,

Since we know that sponsoring or being sponsored by your spouse or common-law partner is an important event in your life, we want to ensure that you have all the information and tools at your disposal to make this process as easy and enjoyable as possible.

As of December 22, 2014, open work permits may be issued to eligible applicants under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class at an earlier stage in processing if they meet certain criteria. We verified the information on file. However, it has been determined that you do not meet the eligibility criteria.

Your application for the open work permit remains valid and will be processed once your sponsorship application is approved in principle.

The processing times indicated on our website are approximate, and can vary with each individual case.

Rest assured that we are aware of how important this next stage in your life is and that we are committed to processing your application as quickly as we can.

For more information on what to expect after a sponsorship application was submitted, please consult our website.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Tharcisse, agent 9999

Now we are totally lost. The post in threads across forum suggested the implied status is considered acceptable for processing OWP but the mail suggests otherwise. Given the current circumstance AIP will take atleast 10 more months as they are currently processing August 2019 files. ANy suggestions, what can we do in this situation.
hi, Any idea why you did not meet the eligibility criteria??

Mrinalithaman

Jul 15, 2020
Hey Guys! I have mailed my application on May 6th 2020 and still haven't received AOR. Is it a normal timeline right now or should I be worried? I also being issued a wrong tracking number by Canada Post so there is no way for me to check if its being delievered. Anybody else from early May applicants is still waiting for AOR?
Hey they received my application on may 7 but still no AOR

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga

Good day XXXXXXXXXXX,

Sincerely,

Tharcisse, agent 9999

Did the PA have valid status when the PR + OWP application were received by IRCC?

Edit:
I just re-read this part My Spouse 6 months got done on June 10 2020 and we already have applied her extension on May 10 2020 ...So i'm assuming the PA had status from December to June. Could be a mistake by IRCC. There have been alot of such issues as of recent. December applicant had this issue as well, and some had to send webforms, and send emails to their MPs and eventually they received approval of their OWP.

You might want to also check this thread for cases like yours. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/open-work-permits-not-being-approved-even-when-meeting-eligibility-criteria.684678/

Last edited:
Reactions: vaishnavgowni

b4evergrace

Star Member
May 31, 2019
I am fed up with IRCC, in the last 3 weeks I have contacted them twice because I still can't link my OWP. I filled out a web form, and put it as technical difficulties. Entered in all my info, screen shot that I entered in my info correctly.. I had screen shot that it said application not found, sent in a copy of my receipt and a scan of my passport info page. Both times they wrote me back this generic garbo. I don't know what to do, I want to cry. I applied for a visitor extension 2 months ago haven't heard anything back with that either.

Good day XXXXX,

You may sometimes experience difficulties trying to link your application to your online account.

Reasons why you are receiving the message there are no matches:

Your application hasn't been entered into our system yet.
The information entered doesn't match exactly what you indicated on your application.
You selected an incorrect application category.
We are experiencing some technical issues with some applications.

You could also be experiencing difficulties because:

An immigration representative is handling your file,

if you have hired a representative, only that person can access the application status (through the Authorized Paid Representatives Portal), if you chose to remove the representative from your file to be able to link your application, please select cancelling the appointment of a representative on the Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) form, and upload it to your account,
once that information is processed, you will be able to link your application

Please note that you can try to link an application 5 times. If you are unsuccessful after 5 attempts, you will be locked out for 24 hours.

Still experiencing difficulties?

After having consulted the above information, please fill out the IRCC Web form and choose Technical difficulties located in the drop down menu under the heading Enquiry. Please also add the following information:

Any error messages you received. To do this: please include screen shots showing the full browser window, including the website address field of the: page preceding the error, and

error message.

All the answers provided while trying to link your application. To do this: once on that page and after entering all your answers, provide us with screen shots.

The personal information page of your passport.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry

Sincerely,

Marina, agent 4145 Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

vaishnavgowni

Oct 27, 2011
Calgary

Good day XXXXXXXXXXX,

Sincerely,

Tharcisse, agent 9999

Can you call IRCC and verify the same?

1-888-242-2100

Please keep us posted and stay positive!

prive6399

Jan 2, 2020
Hello all, my wife got her visitor's status extended for other six months. We already communicated through the web form that her visitor status has been extended so it can be taken into consideration in her PR application, we also sent proof of the e-medical form and all the receipts we paid for her medical exams so they can also be considered into her PR application. They acknowledged the receipt of all the documentation and they also told us they will relay those documents to the appropriate offices.

My question is if I should also send a new web form to communication for her OWP application that her visitor status has been extended. Do you believe this can have an impact into getting her OWP approved?

It's been ages ago that we submitted her application on January 3, 2020. We got AOR in March 3, 2020. The OWP is still delayed ....

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hello all, my wife got her visitor's status extended for other six months. We already communicated through the web form that her visitor status has been extended so it can be taken into consideration in her PR application, we also sent proof of the e-medical form and all the receipts we paid for her medical exams so they can also be considered into her PR application. They acknowledged the receipt of all the documentation and they also told us they will relay those documents to the appropriate offices.

My question is if I should also send a new web form to communication for her OWP application that her visitor status has been extended. Do you believe this can have an impact into getting her OWP approved?

It's been ages ago that we submitted her application on January 3, 2020. We got AOR in March 3, 2020. The OWP is still delayed ....
IRCC is the one that approves the visitor extension, so they will know about it in the context of the OWP application (which is delayed for nearly everyone)