+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****January 2020 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

jahnvi_ar

Feb 27, 2020
Hi,
I am accompanying my spouse (resident of Canada) on a visitor's visa. I applied for the PR and OWP in the second week of January and still waiting for the acknowledgement. My six month tenure as a visitor expires on 25th of May,2020. I am not sure if I will get the work permit by then and if in case I don't, I am not sure if I am legally permitted to stay in the Country after my visitor status expires and till my permit arrives.

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
Hi,
I am accompanying my spouse (resident of Canada) on a visitor's visa. I applied for the PR and OWP in the second week of January and still waiting for the acknowledgement. My six month tenure as a visitor expires on 25th of May,2020. I am not sure if I will get the work permit by then and if in case I don't, I am not sure if I am legally permitted to stay in the Country after my visitor status expires and till my permit arrives.
You hold imlied status and yes can stay in Canada until decision -
assuming there is an issue with owp and returned - u will have to re-apply alongwith restoration fee

jahnvi_ar

Feb 27, 2020
You hold imlied status and yes can stay in Canada until decision -
assuming there is an issue with owp and returned - u will have to re-apply alongwith restoration fee
There has not been any update on the open work permit yet. We have not received the file back. I dont know if there is still a possibility that it can be returned back to us in case of missing details.
Also, Once I get my permit, will I be able to cross borders on basis of that or will there still be a risk of denied entry?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
There has not been any update on the open work permit yet. We have not received the file back. I dont know if there is still a possibility that it can be returned back to us in case of missing details.
Also, Once I get my permit, will I be able to cross borders on basis of that or will there still be a risk of denied entry?
It takes about 60 days right now for an inland acknowledgement of receipt. You won't get your acknowledgement of receipt until mid-March, likely.

Up until you have the OWP itself, your OWP application can be returned.

Your OWP does not grant you permission to travel. You will still need a visa or eTA (or American passport) if you leave Canada and return. If you have applied inland (and you have), it is not advisable to leave Canada for more than 2-3 weeks. If you are gone longer, IRCC may consider your application abandoned or you may be refused as you must be "in Canada" for the application.

You can still be denied entry by CBSA, though having an OWP does help on re-admission. It is, however, no guarantee you will be re-admitted to Canada.

Reactions: 871012wang

jahnvi_ar

Feb 27, 2020
It takes about 60 days right now for an inland acknowledgement of receipt. You won't get your acknowledgement of receipt until mid-March, likely.

Up until you have the OWP itself, your OWP application can be returned.

Your OWP does not grant you permission to travel. You will still need a visa or eTA (or American passport) if you leave Canada and return. If you have applied inland (and you have), it is not advisable to leave Canada for more than 2-3 weeks. If you are gone longer, IRCC may consider your application abandoned or you may be refused as you must be "in Canada" for the application.

You can still be denied entry by CBSA, though having an OWP does help on re-admission. It is, however, no guarantee you will be re-admitted to Canada.
Thankyou for the information you provided.