+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2020 - citizenship application

nerd

Jan 15, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For a person who completes three years in Canada as PR on the 20th of January 2021, can she apply with two years of taxes as she won't file taxes before April?
No. The requirement is very clear. 3 years tax returns filed at the time of signing the app.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
In 2017 I was in Canada only for January and a bit of February. I filed taxes for 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019 from Canada, only 2017 was filed from abroad as “nil” (no income). I came back to Canada in February 2018 after being abroad for a year. Does 2017 also count in this situation?

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
In 2017 I was in Canada only for January and a bit of February. I filed taxes for 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019 from Canada, only 2017 was filed from abroad as “nil” (no income). I came back to Canada in February 2018 after being abroad for a year. Does 2017 also count in this situation?
Yes. As long as its filed, it will be counted.

Salar123

May 29, 2014
Lahore
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
November-2015
Hello members,
I am January 2020 applicant. I applied from Calgary but I might need to move to Ontario due to new job. My application went in process in September 2020.
I am wondering how will it effect my application if I change my address from Calgary to Ontario at this stage? Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Hello members,
I am January 2020 applicant. I applied from Calgary but I might need to move to Ontario due to new job. My application went in process in September 2020.
I am wondering how will it effect my application if I change my address from Calgary to Ontario at this stage? Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
In my opinion changing your address won't be necessary as everything is online now. Leave it as it's and if they resume in person test or oath then you may need to update your adress but honestly I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Soundless

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/05/2013
Med's Request
02/04/2014
Med's Done....
12/04/2014
Interview........
27/02/2014
Passport Req..
14/08/2014
VISA ISSUED...
22/09/2014
LANDED..........
31-Mar-2015
Hello members,

But why address change would/may affect application processing? I don't think it would. For example, are Alberta applications processed faster?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello members,
In my opinion changing your address won't be necessary as everything is online now. Leave it as it's and if they resume in person test or oath then you may need to update your adress but honestly I don't see this happening anytime soon.
But why address change would/may affect application processing? I don't think it would. For example, are Alberta applications processed faster?
Address change is MANDATORY. You MUST advise IRCC of the new address when you move. You can do this once you are able to access ECAS.

The AOR letter that you get clearly mentions the following :

Contact information

It is very important that you notify IRCC of any changes
in your contact information (i.e. address,
email, and telephone number).
The reason why this change is important is because when your application goes to "In Process", the file is transferred to visa office that is responsible for your address. If you update this information ASAP, when your application goes to IP, it will be sent to the correct office in the first go. If you move before you get IP but you decide to update the address later - IRCC will take its own sweet time to move your file from the office that your application is currently in to the new office in Ontario.

Soundless

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/05/2013
Med's Request
02/04/2014
Med's Done....
12/04/2014
Interview........
27/02/2014
Passport Req..
14/08/2014
VISA ISSUED...
22/09/2014
LANDED..........
31-Mar-2015
Address change is MANDATORY. You MUST advise IRCC of the new address when you move. You can do this once you are able to access ECAS.

The reason why this change is important is because when your application goes to "In Process", the file is transferred to visa office that is responsible for your address. If you update this information ASAP, when your application goes to IP, it will be sent to the correct office in the first go. If you move before you get IP but you decide to update the address later - IRCC will take its own sweet time to move your file from the office that your application is currently in to the new office in Ontario.

Absolutely correct. Address change is very important, I would say not changing address may be questionable at some point.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Salar123

May 29, 2014
Lahore
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
November-2015

Thank you for the detailed response. My application is already in process since September 2020. I am hesitant about this because the tests are already taking a long time and moving my application from one office to another one will cause more delay. But I know it is mandatory. Iam thinking to keep the same address atleast untill I am done with test.

Reactions: Bobo2016

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you for the detailed response. My application is already in process since September 2020. I am hesitant about this because the tests are already taking a long time and moving my application from one office to another one will cause more delay. But I know it is mandatory. Iam thinking to keep the same address atleast untill I am done with test.
This is a bad idea and I would strongly recommend against it. However, it is your application and it is up to you to decide what is best for you.

Good luck.

maulikshah1425

Jul 13, 2014
india
Category........
Visa Office......
ndvo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2014
Nomination.....
17-11-2014
File Transfer...
25-03-2015
Med's Request
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-04-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-06-2015 ; DM 20-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2015
LANDED..........
mid sept
I have a question. I applied for citizenship in jan20. it came in process in aug20. Nothing since. My PR card expires soon. do I need to renew it? if I had to leave canada can I come back with expired PR card because my citizenship application is under process?

Salar123

May 29, 2014
Lahore
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
November-2015
I have a question. I applied for citizenship in jan20. it came in process in aug20. Nothing since. My PR card expires soon. do I need to renew it? if I had to leave canada can I come back with expired PR card because my citizenship application is under process?
You should apply for renewal of PR card. Currently the processing time is 100 days. And you can't come/fly back to Canada on expired PR card, you will need to request a traveling document from the country of origin of your travel back to Canada.
However, if you have USA visa you can fly to USA and then drive into canada on expired PR card. But I would advise to renew to save yourself from all the hassle and uncertainty.

Reactions: Inpasarable

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
You cannot come back to Canada with an expired PR card. The only exception is when you drive back to Canada from the US.

Bobo2016

Oct 14, 2016
Thankyou
I called an agent from IRCC today and she told me this may delay the application process and complicates things!
She advised me to apply after filing taxes!
So what is your experience guys?
Hi, I submitted in Jan 2020 without filing my tax since you can only file in March, my application is currently in process status like everyone else. So the short answer is that you can and I advise you proceed, as long as you check the box for them to access your NOA from CRA, considering you must have filed before your application gets to the stage where this will be required they will be able to pull this as well. Although I have heard there are inconsistencies depending on the officer processing your file but I don’t see what you have to lose by going ahead with the application now, if they return it then you resubmit.

Hope this helps!