AOR Received.
22-02-2019
File Transfer...
01-03-2019
Med's Request
26-02-2019
Med's Done....
28-02-2019
Hello, I am not to familiar with the Turbo, however see the link below..

If you qualify for the spouse or common-law partner amount, TurboTax automatically calculates the amount for you in your tax return. You can find the calculated amount on line 303 of your detailed tax summary.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1505790-what-is-the-spouse-or-common-law-partner-amount
Thanks so much for explaining! Just checked it requires spouse who has less than $11,809 which is not applicable for us since we both work full time. Maybe that’s why turbo didn’t even mention this to us lol

Reactions: FVPupnorth

vskhosa

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
have to file taxes since it's that time of the year.. anyone claimed the spousal credit and spouse is back home?? it increase the tax refund a lot, but is it safe to do it? i have 2 trasnfers to her directly in last 4 months totalling around $1700.. so if cra asks for proof can i submit that trasnfer receipt??
I wasn't sure about this so I decided to call CRA directly. I asked the rep directly if I should not claim the tax credits for my spouse since she has never been a Canadian resident. He said that I still can claim even if she has never lived in Canada. So in my case I went ahead and claimed for it based on the information I got from the CRA rep.

I see that one of the CPA here said that we cannot (that does makes sense however). I haven't received the return yet as I filed last week. So lets see what happens or if they ask me to return the amount later this year.

rbbt0824

Feb 27, 2019
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
MISSISSAUGA
App. Filed.......
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
22-02-2019
File Transfer...
01-03-2019
Med's Request
26-02-2019
Med's Done....
28-02-2019
Last edited:
Reactions: paladinav

StayAway

Mar 1, 2019
I wasn't sure about this so I decided to call CRA directly. I asked the rep directly if I should not claim the tax credits for my spouse since she has never been a Canadian resident. He said that I still can claim even if she has never lived in Canada. So in my case I went ahead and claimed for it based on the information I got from the CRA rep.

I see that one of the CPA here said that we cannot (that does makes sense however). I haven't received the return yet as I filed last week. So lets see what happens or if they ask me to return the amount later this year.

If you claim the spousal amount and she/he is living overseas then you can run into the issue where you will have to report their income also.

Can I claim my spouse if they’re not living here?

In general, claiming a non-resident spouse is more or less the same as claiming a resident spouse, as long as you have supported them during the year. Here’s a few things to know to make sure your claims go smoothly:

• To make your claim properly, you’ll need the correct documentation. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) needs proof that you’re in fact providing financial support to your spouse, so when payments are made, keep your documents together. The proof of payment you give to the CRA must include your name, the amount, the date of payment and your spouse’s name and address.
  • The amount you pay to your other half must also be enough to be considered ongoing support – a small payment here or there doesn’t qualify.
  • No matter how much or how little you send your spouse, they won’t qualify if they already have enough income or assistance for a reasonable standard of living in the other country.
  • If your non-resident spouse or common-law partner has some income in your home country, it will also reduce the amount you can claim, even though the income is not reported on a Canadian tax return.

Reactions: schweisy

rbbt0824

Feb 27, 2019
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
MISSISSAUGA
App. Filed.......
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
22-02-2019
File Transfer...
01-03-2019
Med's Request
26-02-2019
Med's Done....
28-02-2019

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

here's how to determine if you are a tax resident. You don't have to be physically living in Canada.

vskhosa

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
If you claim the spousal amount and she/he is living overseas then you can run into the issue where you will have to report their income also.

Can I claim my spouse if they’re not living here?

In general, claiming a non-resident spouse is more or less the same as claiming a resident spouse, as long as you have supported them during the year. Here’s a few things to know to make sure your claims go smoothly:

• To make your claim properly, you’ll need the correct documentation. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) needs proof that you’re in fact providing financial support to your spouse, so when payments are made, keep your documents together. The proof of payment you give to the CRA must include your name, the amount, the date of payment and your spouse’s name and address.
  • The amount you pay to your other half must also be enough to be considered ongoing support – a small payment here or there doesn’t qualify.
  • No matter how much or how little you send your spouse, they won’t qualify if they already have enough income or assistance for a reasonable standard of living in the other country.
  • If your non-resident spouse or common-law partner has some income in your home country, it will also reduce the amount you can claim, even though the income is not reported on a Canadian tax return.
Yes, thats true. I reported my spouse's income in Canadian dollars. That was mentioned by the CRA rep as well. Also, I do have the proof of payments.

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
Hi dear, May I know why your application was returned in January? Just wonder how you can resubmit it on the same day. Thanks in advance.
On the additional family forms, I forgot to add my spouses parents info. I filled it in, and sent it right back. I did not need any additional signatures or form updates.

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...