+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2018 - Citizenship Applications

Mr.Malik

Feb 6, 2018
Sorry to know about it. I have added this information on Jan sheet.
I just wrote my SIN number and signed where I missed before on same application I had sent before. Is that okay or I should have filled another new application ?

HLR

Champion Member
May 28, 2013
I just wrote my SIN number and signed where I missed before on same application I had sent before. Is that okay or I should have filled another new application ?
Did you print the new application after making the necessary changes then signed and send? I think it is ok as long as other things are completed.

Mr.Malik

Feb 6, 2018
Did you print the new application after making the necessary changes then signed and send? I think it is ok as long as other things are completed.
I just wrote my SIN number, signed it and sent it back. I used the same application that was sent back to me.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
How sure are you on checking LinkedIN profile? I know checking social media is also part of background check, which they might do in PR application as well, but LinkedIn, I dont think so. They are not much concerned about specifics of date (mainly day and month) on what you did in Canada or elsewhere. They just want to have a official record of their new Citizen on their work history. Just my opinion, cant imagine it being that stringent on work history.
Make no mistake, IRCC can and sometimes does research the Internet for information about an applicant.

LinkedIn appears to be among the more common sites that CIC and IRCC have accessed and information posted there considered.

In another topic I cite and link a number of actual cases in which IRCC and CIC have accessed and considered information in not just an applicant's LinkedIn account, but in accounts which have been identified as POSSIBLY the applicant's.

Bottom-line: yes, IRCC can and sometimes does Internet research which is considered, including information found at the LinkedIn site.

See more extensive discussion in the topic linked in the following quote:
More Re LinkedIn and Some Context; Part I:

Similar to @Joshua1 above, and @Thito who is quoted in another post below, periodically forum participants express skepticism about reports that IRCC may research and consider a citizenship applicant's LinkedIn account.

Make no mistake, IRCC can and does engage in collateral research to verify information an applicant provides in the citizenship application. This can include researching sources on the Internet, including in particular LinkedIn.

We do not know how often or for which applicants an IRCC processing agent will conduct an Internet search and compare results with an applicant's work history or other information as declared in the citizenship application. We do know, FOR SURE, no doubt, that IRCC does this at least sometimes and that it can result in applications being denied and, in some cases, a determination of misrepresentation imposing a five year prohibition. (It has also been used in proceedings to revoke citizenship based on misrepresentation/fraud grounds.)

I will cite, in another post below, a sample of official decisions in actual cases which amply illustrates this based on information found in LinkedIn alone. I am hoping this will largely close the door on the skepticism.

While in general it is well understood and agreed that the best approach is to be truthful in submitting information to the government, that in particular forthcoming honesty is the best policy when making a citizenship application, in actual practice many citizenship applicants trim the truth some. I am no purist or puritan. I've been around long enough to recognize that practical realities sometimes demand compromise and it is all-too-human to cut-the-corners a bit. There is the posted speed limit and there is the de facto range above that in which most of us drive at least occasionally.

Moreover, we know that even IRCC policy recognizes, to some extent allows or accommodates, a range of inaccuracy, largely to allow for relatively innocent error but to some extent allowing a degree of flexibility in recognition of our human propensities (with some emphasis on weaknesses). Those who claim they never fudge are, frankly, lying.

Nonetheless, it is important to get your facts straight. Apart from (in addition to) moral imperatives, honesty really is the best PRACTICAL policy. It is what works best most of the time. Getting-away-with-it is common, but that is a common EXCEPTION not the rule. Lots of people get away with shoplifting. That does not mean that is how it always goes. Hint: getting caught shoplifting while a citizenship application is in process can easily derail things.

The point is not about the risks of getting caught engaging in retail-theft. The point is about how important it is be complete and accurate, to orient the information submitted with the truth.

Which brings things back around to what can be found about us on the Internet, and more particularly on sites like LinkedIn.

Some people who would not consider misrepresenting so much as minor details in their citizenship application, may have, however, padded their credentials some elsewhere. LinkedIn for example. So here is the thing: IRCC can research LinkedIn (and other sources) for information about an applicant. IRCC might in fact do this (which we know because we know IRCC has done this for others). What happens if IRCC researches a source like LinkedIn and finds information which is not consistent or is otherwise incongruous with information the applicant submitted in his or her citizenship application?

Reminds me of crime or police procedural movies and television shows, and the tough prosecutor confronting a witness who has changed his story, "are you lying now, or were you lying then?"

If and when IRCC comes across conflicting information, at the very least the applicant's credibility is at stake. At the very least. Truth in the application is important but will not necessarily protect the applicant's credibility if the applicant is PERCEIVED to be giving inconsistent information, including information inconsistent with that given elsewhere. Such as in LinkedIn.

The path to citizenship, perhaps especially the last lap, tends to get a lot trickier if the applicant's credibility is compromised.

Hint: The object of the "are you lying now, or were you lying then?" challenge is to throw everything the witness says out. Remember, the burden of proof is on the applicant. Not easy to prove qualification for citizenship if the information the applicant provides is, in effect, mostly thrown out.

BeeR

Feb 8, 2018
Hi!

I'm new here. I don't know where should i put the info

Single
Sent: January 9
Received: ????

HLR

Champion Member
May 28, 2013
Hi!

I'm new here. I don't know where should i put the info

Single
Sent: January 9
Received: ????
Added.
Can you please provide

App. Type
Physical Presence Days
App. Delivered

mbqureshi

Star Member
Nov 9, 2017
Can I have your new timeline to add to the february list? I have added you for now with all your previous details and the date application sent to Feb 07. Thanks!
Mr.Malik, how many days after delivery of your application you get it? was it regular mail or courier? when did you application deliver?

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
Hello guys, I am Jan 9 applicant and my application returned two days ago because I didn't sign the application form ( I did type my full name where I suppose to sign because I thought its the same thing) and My old passport expiry date and new passport issue date had 3 weeks gap and they want me to explain the reason. I will be Feb applicant now because going to send an application today again after correction.

Thank you,

HLR

Champion Member
May 28, 2013
Hello guys, I am Jan 9 applicant and my application returned two days ago because I didn't sign the application form ( I did type my full name where I suppose to sign because I thought its the same thing) and My old passport expiry date and new passport issue date had 3 weeks gap and they want me to explain the reason. I will be Feb applicant now because going to send an application today again after correction.

Thank you,
sorry to know about it, put the notes in Jan sheet. Good luck for your next attempt.

DRRD

Feb 8, 2018
Guys!

My friend is doing FP. The letter says that he would mail the results to the specific IRCC local office but in the place where he's doing the FP they say that usually RCMP sends those results directly to IRCC local office, they are also giving him the option that RCMP sends the results to him by mail.

How do you guys usually do it?

Thanks!