+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

JANUARY 2017 - OUTLAND SPOUSAL APPLICANTS

safferz

Jan 18, 2017
Hi all,

I finally heard something from CIC, just not what I expected. My husband's application (I am the sponsor) has been processing since February 25, by the Nairobi VO. I received a message alert from My CIC this morning, which turned out to be a letter addressed to my husband. It said that it appears he may not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada because our "marriage ceremony" (Islamic nikah) was conducted in Canada without his presence, therefore we are not married under Canadian law, because Canada does not recognize Islamic nikah as marriage (nor does it recognize marriage by proxy). They are giving us 30 days to provide more information otherwise, they say, they will make a decision based on what they have, "which may result in the refusal of your application."

Anyway, I know all of this - we were married in the faith tradition for *us*, and I included those documents not as proof of marriage but as proof of relationship. We ARE married legally in Ethiopia, in a marriage recognized under Canadian law. Our application included our marriage certificate from Ethiopia, its English translation and an affidavit for the translation.

I don't understand how the immigration officer missed this, it just makes no sense. We had an extremely well organized application package, including a table of contents that referred to all the documents included! I'm thinking to respond with an explanatory letter, and attaching the marriage certificate for reference. What do you guys think of the situation?
I just had a thought -- is it possible Mississauga lost our marriage certificate, and Nairobi VO got an incomplete package? I can't think of any other reason to explain this.

Also, will scans of the marriage certificate, affidavit and translation be enough for my 'response'? The original affidavit and certified copy of the marriage certificate are/were in the application package, and I can refer to it in my explanation letter (I have page numbers for everything!).

jaymehta26

Jan 9, 2017
Im a January 31st applicant. My file has beed transferred to London VO on March 14. Still no request to submit Schedule A or Medical. I called cic so many times but they keep saying that my file is in london now. I emailed London vo 1 month ago and no reply from them (it was mentioned in the automatic email that I will get my reply in 28 days) I dont really know what is going on with my application. Im so disappointed Please someone help me.
My wife's application was sent to London around the same time as you. We were asked to provide form 5490 and then got a request for medical soon after and it was passed. There have been no updates since mid March. You are not alone!

On a side note, the process is causing tremendous amount of stress on work and personal life. This is nothing new among us. The thought of staying away from each other is too daunting which is why my wife and I have decided to quit jobs and be together and travel for the next 6 months. Keep you all posted if I hear anything.

Stay strong people!

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
My wife's application was sent to London around the same time as you. We were asked to provide form 5490 and then got a request for medical soon after and it was passed. There have been no updates since mid March. You are not alone!

On a side note, the process is causing tremendous amount of stress on work and personal life. This is nothing new among us. The thought of staying away from each other is too daunting which is why my wife and I have decided to quit jobs and be together and travel for the next 6 months. Keep you all posted if I hear anything.

Stay strong people!
Happy for you that you can travel with your wife for 6 months! Enjoy your time together!
I wish I could quit my job and go live with my partner, but it's so difficult when I have a kid to support from a previous relationship and I can't take my kid with me because I have joint custody with my ex-husband. :(

mrpkiam

Mar 22, 2017
Happy for you that you can travel with your wife for 6 months! Enjoy your time together!
I wish I could quit my job and go live with my partner, but it's so difficult when I have a kid to support from a previous relationship and I can't take my kid with me because I have joint custody with my ex-husband. :(
Well you must not have a fat mortgage ... having a mortgage alone can be the reason too for not quitting and not to mention as sponsor they do mention for next two years you are undertaking a big responsibility and you are responsible for your spouses finances as well..

Tajnuba

Jan 11, 2017
Visa Office......
Singapoore
App. Filed.......
27-02-2017
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
File Transfer...
21-04-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Interview........
07-11-2017
Passport Req..
15/11/2017
VISA ISSUED...
12/15/2017
Im a January 31st applicant. My file has beed transferred to London VO on March 14. Still no request to submit Schedule A or Medical. I called cic so many times but they keep saying that my file is in london now. I emailed London vo 1 month ago and no reply from them (it was mentioned in the automatic email that I will get my reply in 28 days) I dont really know what is going on with my application. Im so disappointed Please someone help me.
Hi one question when u sent the inquiry to your visa office through the webform how long did it take automated email ..i sent it today but haven't got that email yet ..

Jp0515

May 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
23-01-2017
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
26-01-2017
File Transfer...
02-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
09-06-2017
Same here, january 26 applicant VO MANILA, until now no updates, i linked my app in gckey so i can check it everyday, gckey posted my app is in process, but no update from them and it's so frustrating....

rEj19

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Hi i have a question ,does anyone know how much time does it take for VO to send AOR 2 after the status changes to in process. ??

Jp0515

May 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
23-01-2017
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
26-01-2017
File Transfer...
02-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
09-06-2017
Hi i have a question ,does anyone know how much time does it take for VO to send AOR 2 after the status changes to in process. ??
Same here, i got confused, i don't know if VOmanila received my app, coz in my gckey it says that they got my application and it is in process rigth now. What's your timeline by the way?

ktaj

Oct 19, 2014
Calgary Alberta
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
January 31st 2017
Doc's Request.
March 14 2017
AOR Received.
March 02,2017
File Transfer...
March 20, 2017
Med's Request
22-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Hi one question when u sent the inquiry to your visa office through the webform how long did it take automated email ..i sent it today but haven't got that email yet ..
I sent them direct email and got a reply yesterday that my file is still in initial stage and they will contact me once they need documents

MedtechYuki

Star Member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
December 28, 2016
Doc's Request.
January 30, 2017 (Additional Documents)
AOR Received.
December 11, 2016
File Transfer...
February 13, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
November 21, 2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
May 30, 2017

Stay strong people!
I feel the same way!!! ☹ It's so hard to be away from your spouse!!! I already feel depressed!!! My application is stagnant and somehow I am planning a trip back to Canada by July. Might quit my job here in Manila and be there until they request for my passport. It is just not easy being away from your spouse.

Cannysure

Apr 26, 2017
Hello,please I want to know how long I have to live in Canada as a new PR card holder,to be able to sponsor my spouse and kids..
I ll appreciate your response..
Thank you..

Sap12

Star Member
Oct 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2017
Doc's Request.
28-02-2017
AOR Received.
18-02-2017
File Transfer...
11-04-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront 11-12-2017
Interview........
Yet not
Passport Req..
Yet not
VISA ISSUED...
Yet not
LANDED..........
Hope end of 2017
Hello,please I want to know how long I have to live in Canada as a new PR card holder,to be able to sponsor my spouse and kids..
I ll appreciate your response..
Thank you..
Hey,

You don't need to wait to sponsor your spouse and kids. I had arrived here last September and in January I applied for my spouse and kid. Although job is not mandatory for application but for Ontario Province, they weigh it for sponsorship approval. So, if you are in Ontario all you need is just manage a job part-time or full-time and whatever the income is. Hope it will help you.

alaaalmasri

Star Member
Feb 28, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Beirut, Lebanon
App. Filed.......
23-Jan-2017
Doc's Request.
02-Feb-2017
AOR Received.
25-Jan-2017
Med's Request
N/A - Upfront
Med's Done....
02-Dec-2016 - Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
28-Dec-2017; PP sent: 02-Jan-2018
VISA ISSUED...
24-Jan-2018
LANDED..........
TBD
Hello guys, my below timeline on my GCKey account is the same since March 7, 2017:

Where is this application? Details
Application status --------------------------We received your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
Review of eligibility--------------------------We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results------------------You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents--------- Not applicable.
Interview---------------------------------------You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background check---------------------------Your application is in progress. The next step is to conduct a background check.
Final decision---------------------------------Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Is there anyone in the same situation ? (Review of eligibility is taking too long)

Last edited:
Reactions: MedtechYuki

mr-moose

Star Member
Oct 10, 2016
Waterloo, ON
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
31-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Not required
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2017
LANDED..........
27-08-2017
Hello guys, my below timeline on my GCKey account is the same since March 7, 2017:

Where is this application? Details
Application status --------------------------We received your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
Review of eligibility--------------------------We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results------------------You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents--------- Not applicable.
Interview---------------------------------------You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background check---------------------------Your application is in progress. The next step is to conduct a background check.
Final decision---------------------------------Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Is there anyone in the same situation ? (Review of eligibility is taking too long)
Mine says the same as yours, but our application was received in January and was started to be processed in February. As hard as it is, I think you just need to have patience.

There have been some posts suggesting that GCKey status of the application can lag behind what is happening in reality.

I read of another post today from someone in my VO (Sydney) who stated it was about 5 months from the beginning of processing their application to receiving Decision made/passport request. I suspect there won't be too much in the way of updates in between these two events, so we'll just have to wait I'm afraid.

SMWNDP

Jan 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
04-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-03-2017
Med's Done....
03-10-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/05/2017
LANDED..........
14/06/2017
Sent in our last request for photos, address and photocopy of the passport on Friday. The package should arrive at CPC Ottawa on Wednesday, then we're in the last stretch wait for COPR. Sooooo unbelievably close!