+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Jamaican Study permit, married to Canadian, Perm Visa?

Acanadian

Aug 14, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has any info on this topic?

Husband is denied visiting visa into Canada, which is ok. We are applying for permanent residency (sponsorship) in the family category. Since this process is approx. about 30 months from outside Canada via Jamaican Citizenship (my husband). Does anyone know if we are able to apply for a study permit in the time being while the permanent visa is being processed?

Can you do both study permit and permanent recidency? Would this mean we apply inbound Canada while he studies? I am so unsure what to do. I don't think its very gratifying for him to stay in Jamaica and work while waiting on his visa, when he could be gaining an education here in Canada to get him on his feet faster Shocked Cheesy

If anyone can help me out with this that would be fantastic!

Cheers~!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - he can certainly apply for a study permit. Applying for a study permit will not impact the PR application.

To be approved for a study permit he will have to demonstrate that he is a genuine student and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Given you have already submitted the PR application and had one TRV refused, the changes the study permit will be approved are likely quite low.

Having said that, he can certainly give it a shot. He'll have to show a bank balance of somewhere between $20K and $30K (possibly even more - depending on the cost of his program) in order to be approved.

sikanderv

Star Member
Jun 5, 2011
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
Hyderabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2014
IELTS Request
8 overall (R9 L8.5 S7.5 W7)
File Transfer...
25-07-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-06-2014
Passport Req..
With application
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
Yet to decide
Hello,

This may help. Dual intent in itself will not disqualify somebody from entering Canada to study or work.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/intent.asp

And also this:

https://www.cwilson.com/resource/newsletters/article/112-clarification-of-dual-intent.html