+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I've been living in the US for 10 years illegally.

BCid

Jun 13, 2018
Hello,
This is my story, I came and stayed in the US for 10 years illegally. I have never committed any crimes but only one traffic ticket for driving without a drivers license. When I first tried to come to the US I got caught in the border by border patrol agents and was taken to a detention center. While I was in there I was fingerprinted and returned back to MX, but the problem is that when I got my fingerprints taken I was told by another person to give another name, so I did. I know it was wrong, and there's no excuse to that, but I was very scared and ignorant at the time so I did what I did. A year after I tried to come to the US again, but this time I made it. Since then I have been living in the US illegally, living under the shadows, with my real name, and in a very quiet way. Now, I'm married, my wife is a US citizen, she is a skilled worker, according to the Canadian standards, and we are thinking to move to Canada. Based on my story, is there any way that I could be eligible to move there?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
This is my story, I came and stayed in the US for 10 years illegally. I have never committed any crimes but only one traffic ticket for driving without a drivers license. When I first tried to come to the US I got caught in the border by border patrol agents and was taken to a detention center. While I was in there I was fingerprinted and returned back to MX, but the problem is that when I got my fingerprints taken I was told by another person to give another name, so I did. I know it was wrong, and there's no excuse to that, but I was very scared and ignorant at the time so I did what I did. A year after I tried to come to the US again, but this time I made it. Since then I have been living in the US illegally, living under the shadows, with my real name, and in a very quiet way. Now, I'm married, my wife is a US citizen, she is a skilled worker, according to the Canadian standards, and we are thinking to move to Canada. Based on my story, is there any way that I could be eligible to move there?
Any sort of temporary visa is out of the question (i.e. visitor visa, study permit, work permit). Your only option would be to apply for permanent residency (or for your wife to apply and include you as a dependent). Provided you are 100% honest about your immigration history, there won't be any issues being approved. Whether you qualify for permanent residency is another matter and you'll need to spend time researching Canada's economic immigration programs. The majority of these programs are points-based - meaning those with the most points (based on age, work experience, education, language capabilities, funds to settle in Canada, etc.) are selected. Info here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Reactions: BCid

BCid

Jun 13, 2018
Any sort of temporary visa is out of the question (i.e. visitor visa, study permit, work permit). Your only option would be to apply for permanent residency (or for your wife to apply and include you as a dependent). Provided you are 100% honest about your immigration history, there won't be any issues being approved. Whether you qualify for permanent residency is another matter and you'll need to spend time researching Canada's economic immigration programs. The majority of these programs are points-based - meaning those with the most points (based on age, work experience, education, language capabilities, funds to settle in Canada, etc.) are selected. Info here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html
Thank you very much for your kind response. We have started the process to apply for permanent residency through my wife since she is the one with better chances to qualified. According to Canada's immigration qualifications, my wife, an US citizen, may qualified for an express entry that's why she's including me as her dependent. Once we send all the information our lawyer is requesting, and if we get the invitation to apply for PR, what are the chances that I may have to go back to my native country, Mexico, for an interview?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It will all depend on the proof you supply to support your relationship and the individual visa officer reviewing the file. There really isn’t any way to know upfront.