+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ITA & Temporary Lay Off

JB91

Mar 26, 2020
Hi all, in the middle of gathering all my documents after receiving ITA, however due to the ongoing CoVid-19 situation I will be getting temporarily laid off from work with my employer intending to rehire me as soon as it is advisable for our office to reopen.

How do I need to alter my application to reflect this? Do I need to update my work history with an end date for my current job? Do I leave it as it is and include a letter of explanation? Does my employer need to modify the employment reference letter in any way?

Just need some clarity on protocol in this situation...

Mitya-kun

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
Hi! The information should be actual and precise on the date of application submission. Therefore, I would recommend you to get a new reference letter with an end date for your current job. It doesn't matter if you are employed or not at the present moment. What is important - is your work experience in the past up to the date of submission. I guess you have enough of work experience to maintain your CRS score without those days (or weeks) between your lay off date and the date of submission.
I also recommend you to reflect the fact that you are no longer working in this company (and it doesn't matter at all that you will be rehired later), because in case an Officer decides to verify your employement and call to your employer, it can be a problem if he finds out that you were layed off and the information in your reference letter is inaccurate.

JB91

Mar 26, 2020
Hi! The information should be actual and precise on the date of application submission. Therefore, I would recommend you to get a new reference letter with an end date for your current job. It doesn't matter if you are employed or not at the present moment. What is important - is your work experience in the past up to the date of submission. I guess you have enough of work experience to maintain your CRS score without those days (or weeks) between your lay off date and the date of submission.
I also recommend you to reflect the fact that you are no longer working in this company (and it doesn't matter at all that you will be rehired later), because in case an Officer decides to verify your employement and call to your employer, it can be a problem if he finds out that you were layed off and the information in your reference letter is inaccurate.
That's great, thanks for the info! And yes i have enough work experience to maintain my score. Would you suggest I still include an LoE anyway, maybe with my RoE to further reflect this? And assuming i'll need to update my personal history as well with my work end date and add that i'm currently unemployed with the reasoning being CoVid/Temp lay off?

Mitya-kun

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
That's great, thanks for the info! And yes i have enough work experience to maintain my score. Would you suggest I still include an LoE anyway, maybe with my RoE to further reflect this? And assuming i'll need to update my personal history as well with my work end date and add that i'm currently unemployed with the reasoning being CoVid/Temp lay off?
I would not explain anything at all if you are not planning to claim points for this work experience. This would be an unnecessary information which doesn't affect your application, But if you want, you can do that anyway.
Yes, you will have to reflect your current unemployement in your Personal history, but you don't have to explain the reasons for unemployement. As I said, it is not required to be employed at the date of submission, so there is no need to explain anything.

Reactions: hamgha

$$harsh$$

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Hello All,

can someone please help me with my current situation :

I got temporarily laid off from work starting April 13th,2020 and I got my ITA (CEC) on April 16th, 2020. Till the date of receiving my ITA I have completed 54 weeks of work experience.

Should I ask my employer to provide new reference letter and mention I am being temporarily laid with an END DATE? Anyway, I am planning to submit e-apr and upload all documents in the month of June and I am confident that I will be back with the company by that time, even I can be rehired in upcoming 2-3 weeks.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PS- I have applied for EI as well. IF I get my EI benefit and do not reflect anywhere that I was temporarily laid off, will it effect my application?

Thank you,

kandarp1510

Apr 29, 2020
Hello All,

can someone please help me with my current situation :

I got temporarily laid off from work starting April 13th,2020 and I got my ITA (CEC) on April 16th, 2020. Till the date of receiving my ITA I have completed 54 weeks of work experience.

Should I ask my employer to provide new reference letter and mention I am being temporarily laid with an END DATE? Anyway, I am planning to submit e-apr and upload all documents in the month of June and I am confident that I will be back with the company by that time, even I can be rehired in upcoming 2-3 weeks.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PS- I have applied for EI as well. IF I get my EI benefit and do not reflect anywhere that I was temporarily laid off, will it effect my application?

Thank you,
Did you get answer for it?

sbayes

Sep 24, 2020
Hi All,
So...I am not in the pool for Express Entry yet, as I am waiting for my WES accreditation to come through. With it, and a job offer, I would have 486 points. However, I have just found out that I am being temporarily laid off...but, technically I am still employed by the company. Are they able to still issue me with a job offer document, or does the temporary layoff negate it? 50 points is obviously a huge thing, and would prohibit me from getting an ITA.

Thoughts?

Sally

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,
So...I am not in the pool for Express Entry yet, as I am waiting for my WES accreditation to come through. With it, and a job offer, I would have 486 points. However, I have just found out that I am being temporarily laid off...but, technically I am still employed by the company. Are they able to still issue me with a job offer document, or does the temporary layoff negate it? 50 points is obviously a huge thing, and would prohibit me from getting an ITA.

Thoughts?

Sally
What kind of work permit are you on? Any idea how long you expect to be off work?

raginijoshi

Oct 3, 2020
Hi All,

I am 21years old and had no past Work experience for NOC B.

I started the NOC B job in Sept 2019, after 6 months I got a temporary lay off i.e in April 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. They Rehired me in Sept 2020. I claimed EI benefits when I was on lay off and also this was a temporary lay off so my Health benefits were not compromised. I was still an employee of the same Company.

Additionally, to create a profile in Express entry, 1 year of employment is required.

Can I be please counseled that am I eligible to create a profile now?
Can I consider this as one year of experience since I was an employee of the same company even though I worked only 6months and I am still working for the same company?
Should I wait for 6months more in order to complete my 1year of experience and then create a profile?

Any advice would be highly appreciated as it is very important to me.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I am 21years old and had no past Work experience for NOC B.

I started the NOC B job in Sept 2019, after 6 months I got a temporary lay off i.e in April 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. They Rehired me in Sept 2020. I claimed EI benefits when I was on lay off and also this was a temporary lay off so my Health benefits were not compromised. I was still an employee of the same Company.

Additionally, to create a profile in Express entry, 1 year of employment is required.

Can I be please counseled that am I eligible to create a profile now?
Can I consider this as one year of experience since I was an employee of the same company even though I worked only 6months and I am still working for the same company?
Should I wait for 6months more in order to complete my 1year of experience and then create a profile?

Any advice would be highly appreciated as it is very important to me.

Thanks!
You can create a profile now if you meet the minimum requirements.

You certainly cannot claim a year of work experience with this employer right now. You only worked for six months. You obviously cannot claim the time you weren't working. You have to wait until you've worked an additional six months before you can claim a year of work experience through this employer.

EDIT: I see now that you have no previous work experience. In that case you cannot create an EE profiel now. You will need to wait until you have worked an additional six months.

Diroveri

Oct 13, 2020
You can create a profile now if you meet the minimum requirements.

You certainly cannot claim a year of work experience with this employer right now. You only worked for six months. You obviously cannot claim the time you weren't working. You have to wait until you've worked an additional six months before you can claim a year of work experience through this employer.

EDIT: I see now that you have no previous work experience. In that case you cannot create an EE profiel now. You will need to wait until you have worked an additional six months.
Hi! And how should he add this work experience on EE? 1 entry for each period, even though they are at the same conmpany? Ex: XyZ Company start date and end date, and then a new line for XyZ company with another start date and "current job"?

axay.patel118

Feb 12, 2021
Hi! And how should he add this work experience on EE? 1 entry for each period, even though they are at the same conmpany? Ex: XyZ Company start date and end date, and then a new line for XyZ company with another start date and "current job"?

Hi all,
I have same concern and same situation. How to explain that work experience while creating profile ? Two separate or one single experience ? And do we need to explain that in LOE ?

Thanks

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Hi all,
I have same concern and same situation. How to explain that work experience while creating profile ? Two separate or one single experience ? And do we need to explain that in LOE ?

Thanks
You have to separate it to document the lay off. If not, the system will calculate your points as if you have work experience for the months you don’t have work. No LOE needed. Once you receive an ITA, a personal history section will open and you can mention the months you were laid off.