+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ITA received, but travelling soon. Is an ITA Extension possible?

mkv102

Dec 31, 2015
Hi there,

I received my ITA on 2nd Nov, 2016. So my last day to submit my application is 2nd Jan, 2016.
I will be travelling on 11th Nov, 2016 and will return to Canada on 29th Nov, 2016.
I am an Indian citizen and we are required to submit our original passport for PCC at the Indian High Commission in Toronto.
The average PCC processing time is 4-6 weeks as per BLS. Additionally, I expect a slow down due to the fact that it is December and many people go on vacation (plus Christmas holidays).
So I am worried I will not have enough time to get my PCC after returning to Canada on 29th Nov, 2016 before the last date to submit my application on 2nd Jan, 2016.
I have read the FAQs on the CIC website which mention that they can provide extension but they also mentioned they can be rejected.
I was wondering if anyone had a positive or negative experience with this LOE for the PCC delay. Should I be worried?

I am thinking of cancelling my plans of travel (which costs some $$, but is less risky) so i can start the PCC processing right away.

Your advice/experiences are appreciated.

-M

sms_1190

Feb 6, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mkv102 said:
Hi there,

I received my ITA on 2nd Nov, 2016. So my last day to submit my application is 2nd Jan, 2016.
I will be travelling on 11th Nov, 2016 and will return to Canada on 29th Nov, 2016.
I am an Indian citizen and we are required to submit our original passport for PCC at the Indian High Commission in Toronto.
The average PCC processing time is 4-6 weeks as per BLS. Additionally, I expect a slow down due to the fact that it is December and many people go on vacation (plus Christmas holidays).
So I am worried I will not have enough time to get my PCC after returning to Canada on 29th Nov, 2016 before the last date to submit my application on 2nd Jan, 2016.
I have read the FAQs on the CIC website which mention that they can provide extension but they also mentioned they can be rejected.
I was wondering if anyone had a positive or negative experience with this LOE for the PCC delay. Should I be worried?

I am thinking of cancelling my plans of travel (which costs some $$, but is less risky) so i can start the PCC processing right away.

-M
If you good enough score(in the range of 480-1200) to get ITA in next draw, you can decline ITA before the expiration date and next draw, you get ITA again and that's how you can extend your ITA.

nidakh

Mar 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
10th Jan 2021
AOR Received.
10th March 2021
Interview........
Test Completed: Jun 25th 2021
mkv102 said:
Hi there,

The average PCC processing time is 4-6 weeks as per BLS. Additionally, I expect a slow down due to the fact that it is December and many people go on vacation (plus Christmas holidays). We recently got our PCC from BLS toronto (October end) and it came in two weeks though they said that it would take 4 to 6 weeks when we asked....So if you can postpone your travel a little bit you might be good to go i.e. if you can

-M

mkv102

Dec 31, 2015
dan_and said:
My advice: go on your trip, apply for your PCC immediately upon your return.

If you don't receive your PCC before the deadline, wait until the last day or so before the deadline and then submit your application with a LoE explaining the situation in detail. Include proof that you applied for the PCC and why you couldn't do so earlier (proof of your trip).

It will still be up to CIC's discretion whether or not they accept it, but your chances are good.

"In exceptional circumstances, some applicants may experience delays in obtaining police certificates within the 60-calendar-day timeframe allocated to submit a complete e-APR. In such situations, applicants should submit a letter of explanation as part of their application and include proof of having requested a police certificate (e.g., a copy of the receipt obtained when they requested the police certificate from the prescribed authority). The officer’s discretion may be required in assessing whether police certificates that do not fall within these time limits are valid and reliable for the purpose of evaluating admissibility."
Thanks I was thinking of this, but was worried that they might deny it (as they say its based on their discretion).

mkv102

Dec 31, 2015
sms_1190 said:
If you good enough score(in the range of 480-1200) to get ITA in next draw, you can decline ITA before the expiration date and next draw, you get ITA again and that's how you can extend your ITA.
I received a provincial nominee. So my score is pretty high now. Not sure if the provincial nominee will expire. One problem with what CIC has said is that if they decline or i decide to decline the ITA, I will have to submit a new EE profile. This would imply that my nomination would be lost as well. I receive the nomination through the OINP and they don't give nominations again. (trust me it was a painful wait to get this.)

mkv102

Dec 31, 2015
Can't postpone. It will have to be travel or cancel at this point. Thanks for the update on the timeline though. Its good to know that it is quick.

mkv102

Dec 31, 2015
dan_and said:
As long as your application would be rejected before the expiry date of your nomination, you would be able to transfer it to another profile. Forum members have done so successfully in the past. Search the forum and you'll find a number of threads popping up.

Having said that, with your current score you could just keep declining invitations until you are ready to submit. If you decline an invitation, your profile simply goes back into the pool and will be drawn again in the next draw. You wouldn't have to submit a new profile. That only happens when you let the ITA expire or if CIC reject your application.

Just make sure you check the expiry date of your nomination.
Thats some useful information you've mentioned. Thanks for the tip. I am not sure how to check the expiry date of my nomination. When i received it, it said that I should accept or decline it by 28th November, 2016. Is this the expiry date you mention? I thought this was irrelevant now, since I have already accepted the nomination.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mkv102 said:
Thats some useful information you've mentioned. Thanks for the tip. I am not sure how to check the expiry date of my nomination. When i received it, it said that I should accept or decline it by 28th November, 2016. Is this the expiry date you mention? I thought this was irrelevant now, since I have already accepted the nomination.
Usually 6 months from the date on your nomination letter. It is definitely not 28th Nov 2016 - that is just the date within which you accept/decline the nomination else it lapses on its own.

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
Your score is high so you can decline the ITA and get a new one easily. Don't take chances when you don't have to. You never know how long CIC will take to reject you.

mkv102

Dec 31, 2015
karenv said:
Your score is high so you can decline the ITA and get a new one easily. Don't take chances when you don't have to. You never know how long CIC will take to reject you.
True. But isn't declining the ITA taking a chance in itself. The FAQ page on CIC mentions that there is no guarantee that they will send us another ITA if we decline. Unless you know of several people who have declined their ITAs and received another one in the next round of invitations?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mkv102 said:
True. But isn't declining the ITA taking a chance in itself. The FAQ page on CIC mentions that there is no guarantee that they will send us another ITA if we decline. Unless you know of several people who have declined their ITAs and received another one in the next round of invitations?
No guarantees ONLY because one can't predict the cutoff for the next draw.

For all practical purposes though, it is a given that having those 600 additional points via PN will always get you an ITA. Many others have declined ITAs in the past and received an ITA in the subsequent draws.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
mkv102 said:
I know at least a couple of people who have declined ITAs twice and then accepted the third one.

Shauns47

Sep 25, 2019
hi, Speaking of WES delays - my evaluation report is currently being done , but I wont have it in time for my ITA submission deadline - will a Letter of explanation suffice? surely CIC knows about delays at WES ? WES will send the ECA to IRCC well before the time the Officer reviews my profile - thoughts?