+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ITA Received - Asked to Provide Police Clearance From Country of Remote Degree

name12345

Oct 11, 2023
Hi,

I used my remote master's degree to attain CRS points and got an ITA. I did an ECA report and confirmed that my degree was equivalent to a Canadian master's degree. However, in the document checklist, I am asked to provide a police certificate from the country of the remote degree. I never visited this country throughout my studies. Should I contact IRCC? Any advice?

wannabeimmigrant

Sep 30, 2023
Thank you for your response. I will provide the LOE. I am not sure if I should also change the "Country of Study" to Canada. This clears the USA police certificate from my checklist.
No! Not a good idea to change your country of study. This leaves room for misrepresentation and can cause big problems. It's a much better to simply write it in a letter of explanation stating that you do not need a PCC since you never been to that country. Also since you will attach your copies of passport pages, IRCC should know that you weren't present there physically. Other than that, I hope that you get a good visa officer, and not a newbie. :p

But I think it should be fine.

name12345

Oct 11, 2023
No! Not a good idea to change your country of study. This leaves room for misrepresentation and can cause big problems. It's a much better to simply write it in a letter of explanation stating that you do not need a PCC since you never been to that country. Also since you will attach your copies of passport pages, IRCC should know that you weren't present there physically. Other than that, I hope that you get a good visa officer, and not a newbie. :p

But I think it should be fine.
Really? When I select Canada as the Country of study, I get this follow-up question "Was [name] awarded a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate for this period of study? (required)" Selecting "No" then brings the follow-up question "Has [name] had an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) within the past five years for this degree, diploma, or certificate?" which I can select "Yes" and then it asks for the ECA details.

wannabeimmigrant

Sep 30, 2023
Really? When I select Canada as the Country of study, I get this follow-up question "Was [name] awarded a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate for this period of study? (required)" Selecting "No" then brings the follow-up question "Has [name] had an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) within the past five years for this degree, diploma, or certificate?" which I can select "Yes" and then it asks for the ECA details.
Honestly, I am not sure. If I was you though, I wouldn't state that my country of study as Canada.

wannabeimmigrant

Sep 30, 2023
Thanks again for the input. The whole process is confusing and quite stressful.
By the way, I found a similar question on the forum.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pcc-from-uk-for-online-study.479073/

You should check out the responses there. They're saying that you should put your home country as the place of study, instead of the UK. Probably do a little more research before you submit your application. You can even ask a lawyer for a quick consultation.

name12345

Oct 11, 2023
By the way, I found a similar question on the forum.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pcc-from-uk-for-online-study.479073/

You should check out the responses there. They're saying that you should put your home country as the place of study, instead of the UK. Probably do a little more research before you submit your application. You can even ask a lawyer for a quick consultation.
Wow, that's super helpful! Thanks a lot.

wannabeimmigrant

Sep 30, 2023
Hi, am in the same situation had a distance learning masters and never lived in the UK how did you go about it?
Write your current address in your country of residence. After the name of the university, write (flexible learning) also in your LOE, add one sentence that you were studying online and never visited UK. It worked for me.

thetruth12

Mar 8, 2023
Write your current address in your country of residence. After the name of the university, write (flexible learning) also in your LOE, add one sentence that you were studying online and never visited UK. It worked for me.
Submitted my application already and got ADR. Can i still write the LOE?