+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IT professional - Canadian Student - Canadian Employee

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
Hi All,

I have been following a lot of posts on education,work permit,jobs in this forum for sometime now. But still have lots of untold doubts.

I'm a B.tech IT graduate with 2.5 years of IT experience in Testing. With the desire to relocate to Canada I was looking for an opportunity to get in Canadian work force. I would like to hear from you all on what will be a better option in terms of province,Education,jobs,living.

Province:

1)Most experts prefer Toronto for freshers in terms of job market & diverse culture setting. How true is this info?
2)Certain posts have highlighted Alberta and Saskatchewan would help freshers as they are growing cities and Toronto is heavily populated. Are they growing in terms of skilled labor workers or IT professionals? ( Note:getting PR in Saskatchewan with PNP is not my question here)
3)Which City is tolerable in terms of weather/pollution/congestion.

Jobs:

1)Unemployment is Canada has decreased to 7% as per the latest stats which is a good sign initially. But this rate is only for local population, what about immigrants? Unemployment rate is 24% for immigrants which is quite alarming.( information on unemployment rates was gathered from some random posts in this forum) Experts correct me if I am wrong.
2)My IT experience of 2.5 years will not be considered here for job search as it is not a Canadian experience. How true is this and why is it so even tough we handle diverse clients across the globe and have international experience?
3)What is the future of IT industry in Canada?
4)Is Canada still undergoing recession phase?
5)What will be the average annual package for a IT professional of my level after a Post Graduate Certificate qualification? Give a rough figure atleast please..!!
6)How much will one be paid if he/she has masters degree?

Education:

1)I appeared for GMAT but couldn't get a score that would help me get admission in tire-1 universities.
2)Applied for MBA in few universities without GMAT and even got acceptance letters , but the credibility of the program doesn't seem to be good as students from only GMAT accepting universities are valued in the market.
3)A masters degree would always help us growing high in carrier. but how about a Post graduate degree/Certificate for some one like me having a decent experience in relevant field?
4)How useful are these PG certificate programs with Co-op options? for opting for such programs?
6)I appeared for IELTS in November 2011 and it expires in Nov 2013. But I'm looking to enroll for a program that starts in Jan 2014. Should i have to appear for IELTS again though i would have applied for visa and other things before 2013 November?
7) Planning for two one year programs as i don't find any single course for 2 years in my field of interest.

Living:

1)What would be the average living expense for a student in any province?
2)How much can one earn earn on a average during studies with 20 hours of part-time work?
3)Is there any possibility where i can get a part-time in my relevant field of study?
4)What are all the part-time jobs available and how do we get it?
5)How much should one earn to run a family of 4 in Canada?

Please try to avoid "it depends" try to give a rough info that can help a lot of freshers in the log...!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S: I do agree that at the end of the day everything right from education to job depends on individual, But i would like to hear from experts about the general trend in Canada that can help thousands of freshers aiming for Canada.

Thanks..!!

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
Adding one more point under jobs which relies mostly on networking

I would appreciate if current experts or professionals can share your Linkedin profile to develop networking.

RonXenner

Jan 31, 2013
New_Aspirant : Let me start by saying even im in IT and im planning on Canada. Ok introductions aside, heres the story

It is difficult if not impossible to answer the question you have asked, its too long and too complicated and goes off the attention of the reader, but im going to share my personal point of view on the matter, because these are problems that i have had or have

1) Yes Toronto is great as per my research, its the place you "develop" your connections, but the same fact makes it harder for immigrants to get jobs especially because all of them land there.

2) Everyone needs a backup profession, no matter how simple it is, that how you stay when while you get settled, like being a supermarket cashier, baker or gas station manager, because no matter what you cant land dreamy perfect jobs we want just like that.

3) Appealing to the local market in Canada begins by understanding WHAT the local market is, how they want people to be how they consider doing work etc, because i know in our countries (im Sri Lankan btw) they expect us to work over our times and continuously, but countries in North America are more relaxed BUT professional, so bottom line is you have to BE THERE before you start to do anything

4) The easiest way, and what most do is go and learn something over there, that gives you something of a credibility within that country making them think like you belong there, besides there are many programs with Co-OP work making it a great chance go get out there. PLUS as a bonus its way easier to get actually get something like a PR once your there.

5) Something require you to do your own research, like taking a statistical analysis of two different cities, comparing weather etc, google the words compare "A" city to "B" city and you will get some sites that give you everything ( your an IT pro so i shouldnt have to tell you how search works)

6) Final point, although you say not to say IT DEPENDS, that unfortunately is the proper answer to all your questions, because after all it boils down to luck, ability and how much your willing to do.

Good Luck btw!

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
RonXenner said:
New_Aspirant : Let me start by saying even im in IT and im planning on Canada. Ok introductions aside, heres the story

It is difficult if not impossible to answer the question you have asked, its too long and too complicated and goes off the attention of the reader, but im going to share my personal point of view on the matter, because these are problems that i have had or have

1) Yes Toronto is great as per my research, its the place you "develop" your connections, but the same fact makes it harder for immigrants to get jobs especially because all of them land there.

2) Everyone needs a backup profession, no matter how simple it is, that how you stay when while you get settled, like being a supermarket cashier, baker or gas station manager, because no matter what you cant land dreamy perfect jobs we want just like that.

3) Appealing to the local market in Canada begins by understanding WHAT the local market is, how they want people to be how they consider doing work etc, because i know in our countries (im Sri Lankan btw) they expect us to work over our times and continuously, but countries in North America are more relaxed BUT professional, so bottom line is you have to BE THERE before you start to do anything

4) The easiest way, and what most do is go and learn something over there, that gives you something of a credibility within that country making them think like you belong there, besides there are many programs with Co-OP work making it a great chance go get out there. PLUS as a bonus its way easier to get actually get something like a PR once your there.

5) Something require you to do your own research, like taking a statistical analysis of two different cities, comparing weather etc, google the words compare "A" city to "B" city and you will get some sites that give you everything ( your an IT pro so i shouldnt have to tell you how search works)

6) Final point, although you say not to say IT DEPENDS, that unfortunately is the proper answer to all your questions, because after all it boils down to luck, ability and how much your willing to do.

Good Luck btw!

Hi Ron,

Thanks a lot for your wishes and for the info you have shared here.

I do understand that my queries are little confusing and difficult to answer. But the point i want to make here by such post is to educate lots of freshers like me looking out a way for these questions. In-fact i have grouped most of the questions that aren't answered in other posts and asked here.

I'm little concerned over your idea of "BE THERE BEFORE YOU START TO DO ANYTHING". Obviously this will help us understand current scenario in many ways. But getting things pre-planned before making a choice is always advisable. That is what most of us are trying to do through this forum.

I have done a little research with the available resources which again opened up way for new questions which i have mentioned above.

I'm requesting all to post your answers for a general scenario as how things are progressing currently, not considering any individual.

Keep on posting such valuable information that can help us all. Thanks.

Have a great day..!!

RonXenner

Jan 31, 2013
I got some advice to people who actually go as student in the intention of getting a PR or WP.

Try to first think like a genuine student, and try not to think too much about the PR or how your going to make Canada your home.. The reason why i say this is because i see a lot of people on this forum overly inquisitive about how to get the PR or WP, now dont get me wrong.. Do you research, find your answers and STOP thinking about it.

The reason why i say this is because, we as human being have this undesired ability to put information out there without thinking, so when you think about PRs and WP and staying there, this actually comes out of you in your Statement of Purpose and if there are any interviews, the Visa Officers are trained to see these thing, they know the signs.. in paper or in person.

So do your research, find what information you need and then make your MIND THINK like a proper student who wants to go there study and come back, all the other things are secondary.

The other thing is over explaining things in SOP's just keep it simple, start by stating the name and duration of the course, the next paragraph talk about what OUTCOMES you will have from this for you, and dont say better chance at employment because they know thats not true. You can mention how you want to have some practical experience or talk about how the course will help you start your own business basically its stating the OBJECTIVE.. Right after that make sure you talk about your education and also THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, make sure that the course you select is higher than what you last did AND also IN LINE with what you did before. Next talk about your Finance, how you got the money or who you got it from and so on and so forth but please dont write an essay for a paragraph. Finally you can choose a suitable ending that suggests that you have some idea of your course and how it will impact your future...
All in all.. SOPs please keep it in 1 page or one and a half the tops...

Again this is for STUDY PERMITS.....

As for New_Aspirant : Heres a link for .numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&country2=Canada&city1=Toronto&city2=Vancouver

Go to the link and compare using the options.. on the right top....

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
Yes. This is exactly what i wanted to do. Do my research, get the answers and then stop thinking about other factors apart from my studies.

-Research over program and its credibility have been done interacting with college officials.
-Research about employment options and living in-progress. which needs to be answered by experts who are currently experiencing the waves.
-SOP will be a major factor in clearing visa and your inputs will be helpful when i start the process.
-The site you provided here will definitely benefit immigrants to make a better choice.

Thanks a lot.

RonXenner

Jan 31, 2013
:) Great.. Hope it helps everyone. Hopefully i can make a comprehensive guide later under a new topic. Which i will do soon!

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
Hi All,

I would like to hear from you all as well.

I expect at-least one question to be answered by one expert which ultimately will get answers for all questions.

Thanks..!!

belitang

Star Member
Sep 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
0213/2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2006
Doc's Request.
Nov 2009
AOR Received.
Oct 2006
File Transfer...
Mar 2010
VISA ISSUED...
terminated in regard to 'Jobs, Growth and Long-Term Prosperity Act,
New_Aspirant said:
1)Most experts prefer Toronto for freshers in terms of job market & diverse culture setting. How true is this info?
2)Certain posts have highlighted Alberta and Saskatchewan would help freshers as they are growing cities and Toronto is heavily populated. Are they growing in terms of skilled labor workers or IT professionals? ( Note:getting PR in Saskatchewan with PNP is not my question here)
Toronto can be good for survey jobs. If you plan to take job during school then it will better chance get it in Toronto. For the income most people report get better income in Alberta, especially in Calgary, since tax is lower in Alberta. Since you are IT guys (like me), you should prefer Toronto or Calgary. Most big companies, who willing to pay you high, have office in both (or either one) cities.

IT professional (managerial level) was on the skilled labor list last two years. My friend, who has been in Calgary for a year, got his PR based on that list. But, IT is not in the list anymore

New_Aspirant said:
3)Which City is tolerable in terms of weather/pollution/congestion.
In term of weather, you should consider Vancouver. But it will not too friendly for IT guy, especially fresher.
/b

belitang

Star Member
Sep 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
0213/2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2006
Doc's Request.
Nov 2009
AOR Received.
Oct 2006
File Transfer...
Mar 2010
VISA ISSUED...
New_Aspirant said:
2)My IT experience of 2.5 years will not be considered here for job search as it is not a Canadian experience. How true is this and why is it so even tough we handle diverse clients across the globe and have international experience?
3)What is the future of IT industry in Canada?
My friend was a General Manager with almost 10 years experience and have master degree from US. Now, he is in Canada working for Shell Calgary as an IT staff (down grade from his previous jobs). You can imagine, how can you survive with only 2.5 years in job market and BA degree.

In Canadian education (and also US and Europe), programming and testing have been teach in high school. So, you will actually compete with high school graduated. I can not predict how the IT industry in Canada, but with the Canadian education content right now, they will fill the IT job market easily. We as a foreigner must have specialty. You will find that as only experience in tester would be not enough.

RonXenner

Jan 31, 2013
Actually IT is still in the CEC list.

www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2171

www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2282

As long as its in the CEC list its all good!

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
belitang said:
Toronto can be good for survey jobs. If you plan to take job during school then it will better chance get it in Toronto. For the income most people report get better income in Alberta, especially in Calgary, since tax is lower in Alberta. Since you are IT guys (like me), you should prefer Toronto or Calgary. Most big companies, who willing to pay you high, have office in both (or either one) cities.

IT professional (managerial level) was on the skilled labor list last two years. My friend, who has been in Calgary for a year, got his PR based on that list. But, IT is not in the list anymore

In term of weather, you should consider Vancouver. But it will not too friendly for IT guy, especially fresher.
/b
Hi,

I appreciate your valuable inputs on IT industry. Thank you..!!

Apologies.. I'm not aware of what this skilled labor list mean. I also find your category as FSW.. can you elaborate on the same please?

Cant an immigrant working in IT industry get a PR even if he completes 1 or 2 years as a Canadian employee, as IT is not there in the list?

Yes, i heard about vancouver which mostly concentrates on tourism and hospitality management.

belitang

Star Member
Sep 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
0213/2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2006
Doc's Request.
Nov 2009
AOR Received.
Oct 2006
File Transfer...
Mar 2010
VISA ISSUED...
RonXenner said:
Actually IT is still in the CEC list.

www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2171

www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2282

As long as its in the CEC list its all good!

What I mean "skilled labor list" is an eligible skill worker list released by CIC as part of selection criteria for whom applied to FSW PR. IT (NOC 0213) was on the list but a year letter it was not considered eligible to apply FSW PR. So, being in NOC list does not mean eligible for FSW PR.

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
belitang said:
My friend was a General Manager with almost 10 years experience and have master degree from US. Now, he is in Canada working for Shell Calgary as an IT staff (down grade from his previous jobs). You can imagine, how can you survive with only 2.5 years in job market and BA degree.

In Canadian education (and also US and Europe), programming and testing have been teach in high school. So, you will actually compete with high school graduated. I can not predict how the IT industry in Canada, but with the Canadian education content right now, they will fill the IT job market easily. We as a foreigner must have specialty. You will find that as only experience in tester would be not enough.
It is alarming to see fate of a GM with masters in IT industry.

Reason your friend couldnt get a job par with his prior experience might be because he didnt have any prior canadian experience and he completed his masters in US. Canadian employers mostly prefer candidates who understand their work ethnic, which a immigrant can get through Canadian education/co-op programs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I completely agree with you on the second point that locals get the same knowledge in their high school itself. As immigrants its going to be really tough for us to compete with them in securing a job.

Thanks.

belitang

Star Member
Sep 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
0213/2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2006
Doc's Request.
Nov 2009
AOR Received.
Oct 2006
File Transfer...
Mar 2010
VISA ISSUED...
New_Aspirant said:
Cant an immigrant working in IT industry get a PR even if he completes 1 or 2 years as a Canadian employee, as IT is not there in the list?
For now, IT experience is not eligible to get PR from outsite Canada. But, it may be change in the future, who knows. Labor market change very fast. Some study (I forget the link) show that Canada would be sorted of IT professional in 2015. If it is true, CIC will open the door again.

So, for long term, having study background in Canada would have more chance to get PR.