IT Job prospects in Canada

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haarry123 said:
Dear friends,

I am planning to come to CANADA in another 3-6 months. I have 4 years of experience in Software Manual testing and also partially worked in Hotel industry as for more income.

Now i am about to get an offer from Hotel industry as an unskilled job. Is it possible to come with unskilled work permit visa to change later to skilled professional visa?

Please help me out on this, i am eagerly waiting for your replies friends.
Yes it is possible as a matter of fact a lot of jobs in resturants and hotels and even many private companies hire people on work permit. By not hiring Canadians it saves the company lots of money. So for example when an Engineer or doctor who has quakified to come here under the skilled worker category and are not able to find jobs in tgeircrespective fields they will obviously not want to do jobs at minimum wage. Then companies can show that there is no Canadian to do this job and hire foreign workers. A lot of companies are doing this. Coffee shops, resturants, gas stations, cherry and strawberry pickers, cleaning staff, cashiers.

Haarry123

Jul 28, 2013
Dear Newton,

Thanks for your reply. I just enjoying work whatever it is. Never mind hotel or software, i will adopt it. And suppose if i get a job in Software maybe after 1 year or 2 years later, could i change my visa from Unskilled to Skilled visa. (Sorry i am new to Canada process. I dont know visa categories for Skilled and Unskilled)

For your Information Again, i am graduated in Bachelors of Engineering and entering Canada into Unskilled worker.

I appreciate if you can provide valuable suggestions for me.

Thank you and Have a great day.

ashwooddream

Star Member
Jul 6, 2011
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2011
Doc's Request.
12-13-2011
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
12-13-2011
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
12-03-2011
Med's Request
12-13-2011
Med's Done....
07-22-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-13-2011
VISA ISSUED...
3-21-2012
LANDED..........
4-07-2012
NAYA123 said:
Hello Ashwooddream,
Thanks & I appreciate for the help you are offering here on this forum.
I need a help & suggestions from you, first let me introduce about us.
My husband has a totally 17 yrs of experience in IT worked in various technologies and also have more than 5 yrs of experience as Project manager & also worked close to 10 yrs in USA.
Last year he joined MBA in Canada and previously we had applied for PR in 2010, recently we submitted our passports also at New Delhi CHC.
My husband has got work permit also & he was trying for job this summer vacation since May , but no job in IT just he could get in as a Sales executive which is hourly paid.
Myself and my kids are in India & am also IT background..not sure to join my husband once we get landing papers for PR.
My husband is frustrated as no calls for interview, he is skeptical whether to stay or return to India, once he finishes his MBA(still 2 semester remaining).

He is residing in Calgary, Can you please help us, I can forward his CV.
Thanks
Naya123
Hi Naya,

Your husband's professional profile is impressive; 17 years is a lot! I have sent my email address to you via PM; send me your husband's CV over and I can help format it to the one I used when I was applying for jobs. I will also send you a sample cover letter. Let me know what else I can help you with. :)

NAYA123

Jan 9, 2013
Hi Ashwooddream,

Thanks for the reply,I have forwarded your email to my husband & he has already sent his CV to you.

Thanks & I appreciate for your help.

Naya

manjinder85

May 9, 2014
Hi All,

i have 5 year experience in testing and recently landed in Toronto.I have applied in many agencies and also send direct cv to employer but still not get any single call.Please suggest me on this.

my email id is ermanjinder85@gmail.com

Thanks

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haarry123 said:
Dear Newton,

Thanks for your reply. I just enjoying work whatever it is. Never mind hotel or software, i will adopt it. And suppose if i get a job in Software maybe after 1 year or 2 years later, could i change my visa from Unskilled to Skilled visa. (Sorry i am new to Canada process. I dont know visa categories for Skilled and Unskilled)

For your Information Again, i am graduated in Bachelors of Engineering and entering Canada into Unskilled worker.

I appreciate if you can provide valuable suggestions for me.

Thank you and Have a great day.
I think its better if you come to Canada physically and start looking for jobs. There is no replacement for physical presence. This is the most valuable advice anyone can give you.
Your welcome and have a wonderful day

canimmigrate

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
CT, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I'm an Software Engineer with 11+ yrs of exp. in IT and I've worked mostly with MNCs during my career.
I'm Java developer and recently got my PR. I'm planning to move to Canada in 2 months time but I'm getting a little cold feet as it is not very clear how good/bad is the IT industry in Canada.

I've read a lot of NGO/Govt. material about the average to good prospect of Canadian IT industry. But can anyone provide some own reallife exp about job search in IT? Or can anyone guide me how to look for a Job in Canada before moving there?

Thanks.
Can

Meancurry

Aug 23, 2013
Hey guys i have enrolled myself with George Brown college (Toronto) for my certificate course in Information System Business Analyst.I have been working in India With TCS - Tata Consultancy Services as Software Tester and exp of 3 years.Want to know about IT jobs in canada after my studies .Want to play role of BA ,QA and Software Assurance quality analyst,etc..Something related to IT. Have been making data flows & diagrams for my project business. SO please help me out with the above query for job serach findings and difficulties,status in Canada.

Would be landing canada in august 2014 .Now waiting for visa.Thanks for help !!
My email id is reddyraj1789@gmail.com

ashwooddream

Star Member
Jul 6, 2011
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2011
Doc's Request.
12-13-2011
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
12-13-2011
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
12-03-2011
Med's Request
12-13-2011
Med's Done....
07-22-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-13-2011
VISA ISSUED...
3-21-2012
LANDED..........
4-07-2012
Hey Can,

Send me a PM with your work experience and I can maybe assess better what you would be a fit to. With regards to IT, here in Edmonton, IT is pretty much on the rise, in my company (heavy equipment) we have been filling IT positions round the clock because of people leaving for higher paying jobs, so it looks to me like there is a lot out there, especially if you are willing to do contracts.

My suggestion to you is to search in Monster or Indeed to see how many openings are in your area of expertise or interest, then hook up with a recruiter (Inteqna, Robert Half, etc.) to get informed of contracts and FTE jobs that become available.

Hope this helps.

canimmigrate said:
Hi Guys,

I'm an Software Engineer with 11+ yrs of exp. in IT and I've worked mostly with MNCs during my career.
I'm Java developer and recently got my PR. I'm planning to move to Canada in 2 months time but I'm getting a little cold feet as it is not very clear how good/bad is the IT industry in Canada.

I've read a lot of NGO/Govt. material about the average to good prospect of Canadian IT industry. But can anyone provide some own reallife exp about job search in IT? Or can anyone guide me how to look for a Job in Canada before moving there?

Thanks.
Can

gilmerfamily

Mar 10, 2014
Hello guys,

Anyone here now working as IT skilled worker in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. We are still waiting for our PR visa (Family) and hopefully it will be issued soon. Praying that we could land in Toronto soon with God's blessings and guidance.

I am an IT Professional working as Computer Programmer for more than 11 years in the Philippines and more than 5 years (latest) as Computer Systems Engineer in Saudi Arabia.

Thank you very much.

vijayanand

Apr 11, 2014
Bangalore, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2014
ashwooddream said:
I have been out of this site for quite a while, and just had time recently to again help out my fellow IT professionals. :)

I am a business analyst working at a big heavy equipment company in west Edmonton. I have been here in Canada for a year and four months now. I have been reading here that it is terribly difficult to land an IT job here in Edmonton; I bagged my first job 2 months after landing and after submitting maybe 20 resumes to different employers, so I don't know whether to disagree or just consider myself lucky. Nevertheless, there might be something in the way I executed my job search that helped me land one in quick fashion.

Long story short, I would like to help at least one or two fellow professionals make their own luck as well. I am situated in the west Edmonton area; if you want to talk shop, review your resume and short-term plans, I would be more than happy to do that over a cup of Timmy's. Don't worry as this is all pro-bono work and paying forward the help I have received along the way.

Cheers!
+1 for your willingness to help fellow applicants.

sreekavalam

Sep 19, 2012
I am an IT professional working in a MNC in INDIA in Development(DOT NET).I have two year experience as of now and i want to know ,any possibility of getting an IT job at CANADA ,if i try from here.
Please guide me through the steps to be followed,coz i searched a lot and lot of resources are available on internet,and this forum looks convincing after going through some posts.
Please do help.

stdycanada

Sep 9, 2014
i have bachelors degree in IT with no work experience.trying for masters in cs for fall 2015.............but want make a career in software testing.
for which il be taking testing course from seed infotech. As well try for ISTQB.
Suggest masters degree that would help me in my career.
Also what level or method should i focus on so as to get a job in canada aftr i graduate.
Help appreciated...!!!

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
Hello people, I would like to help a fellow professional get a job in Canada. I came to Canada 3 years ago as a student and 10 days before I graduated I had a job in hand. I work as a project lead in SAP and I am based out of south western ontario, Windsor to be more specific. Let me know if any of you need any help whatsover.