+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IT Job prospects in Canada

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For IT guys who have landed in Canada or are landing in Canada, I believe the job prospects are promising. I believe this is because of 2 reasons
1.) In IT space the skills are transferrable. You code in Java, C or any other programming language same way across the world. Same goes for testing, administration, project management, support in IT field that skills are transferrable
2) Most candidates that I came across have decent English skills as they appear in IELTS before getting the PR and most of them has worked for Europe or US either from onsite or from a offshore location

I have been involved in mentoring some new immigrants for Canadian job market and found few things that may help new immigrants from IT background
1.) Over the period of time you have done many roles in IT space like development, BA, being a lead managing client, a PM etc. Please chosse what you want to do in Canada out of these roles. Create a resume targetted to that particular role. If you feel that even though you were a PM in last role but you are more suited for BA role, create a resume that can convey you are a solid BA
2.) Skills are transferrable, the gap is Canadaian experience or soft skills in most case. As you land in Canada join Coop, volunteer opportunities once you land in canada to bridge the Canadian exp or soft skill gap
3.) Institutions like Access employment, emploment Ontario etc help you bridge the soft skills gap
4.) Look out for a mentor in Candian market, TRIEC is a good resource. You can rech out to some on you know to give you 20-25 hours in 3 months as mentor
4.) Prepare for Candian style intterview. The interview here is more soft skill based, behavioral and very little technical. If you do not get an interview it depends on lot of things and some which are beyond your control, but if you flunk more that 3 interviews, it is a sin. It means you have not prepared well. if you need more information on how to prepare for interviews, search for various thread on this forum, one that I recommend is http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/something-which-i-learnt-in-canada-t59921.0.html
5.) Some recruiters, some time exploit new immigrants in my personal opinion, but are very goood source of getting you the first job. But more helpful will be people you know through linkedin, mentorship program or intership program or volunteer opportunities

If you need any more information or help in your job search in IT space please feel free to reach out to me

Reactions: Ganiroy and nsrk

Navyyy

Star Member
Feb 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Dec-2011
Nomination.....
Oct-2011
AOR Received.
21-Dec-2011
Med's Request
21-Dec-2011
Med's Done....
26-Jan-2012
Interview........
Waived OFF
Passport Req..
21-Dec-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15- April- 2012
LANDED..........
6-July-2012
Hi,

I worked for 2 years with well know company in India as a Manual Tester but here I am not getting any call from any recruiters/company :( I got one call from one of the company whose manager is just ridiculous who dint even know the A of professionalism and started commenting on Indian's professionalism :( It was hard time for me to bare him :( but still i gave my interview and test but have not got any reply from him till today.
I just don't understand what to do now :( Its been one month now and i still looking for a job.. what I can see on job portals is that most of the Qa Tester Jobs for 5+ years experienced people and basic requirement is automation for them :(
Now I m thinking to change my field but i just don't understand what to do here :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One month is a very very short time and summer is often a very slow time for hiring because so many people are on vacation. It's reasonable to assume that it may take 3-6 months to find a job in your field. I don't think it makes sense to change your field just yet. I would keep looking for another few months before you make any significant decisions.

Good luck.

Navyyy

Star Member
Feb 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Dec-2011
Nomination.....
Oct-2011
AOR Received.
21-Dec-2011
Med's Request
21-Dec-2011
Med's Done....
26-Jan-2012
Interview........
Waived OFF
Passport Req..
21-Dec-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15- April- 2012
LANDED..........
6-July-2012
Thanks dear...!!!

maverickbhs

Feb 25, 2012
Dear Ankit,

Kindly let me know your contact details, i would like to contact you over email. I'm a IT Professional, landing next month.

Rgds
Maverick.Bhs

vtoronto

Nov 10, 2010
Hello Guys..

I just started following the forum. ANKIT, thanks man...for such a wonderful information on IT jobs n related queries... :)
My case is similar to NAVYYY. I worked for a MNC in India. I resigned and came here. Searching for a job in manual testing from past 6 months. But very disappointed. I dont even get any interview calls, did nt understand what is going wrong.

Could someone suggest me, what to do to get a call.
ANKIT, any suggestions? I am going through all the job portals and applying to all the jobs.

Regards,
VJ

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Navyyy and vtoronto- Guys, I see no reason to get disappointed. In manual testing field there are jobs at least contractual. I can work with you on some aspects with you

Send me your resume to start with. I will send you a PM wit my e-maill address

Navyyy

Star Member
Feb 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Dec-2011
Nomination.....
Oct-2011
AOR Received.
21-Dec-2011
Med's Request
21-Dec-2011
Med's Done....
26-Jan-2012
Interview........
Waived OFF
Passport Req..
21-Dec-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15- April- 2012
LANDED..........
6-July-2012
Hi Ankit,

I just dropped a Mail , Please check and do the needful.

Thank You. :)

dhanyamp

Oct 3, 2012
Hi Naavy,

I am in the same situation as you.I have 2.5 years of experience in automation and manual testing from India.For the past 3 months I am looking for jobs in Toronto,and I have received very few calls.Do anyone know about how to get co-op or volunteer work in software testing??

Thanks in advance
Dhanya

dhanyamp

Oct 3, 2012
Hi Naavy,

I am not able to send you a personal message.Please mail me your contact info at dhanyampkrishnan@gmail.com.will try to reach you.

Regards,Dhanya

onmywayhome

Aug 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 17th 2012
AOR Received.
Oct 18th 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 1st 2012
My wife is from Taiwan and we just got our AOR email! She has six years experience in the IT field and a Masters in Communication Engineering. I am hoping she finds a job easily in Canada!

rk1302

Sep 21, 2012
Hi Ankit, Navyyy, Dhanya & Maverick....can you please send me your contact info...email ids if possible...I have a few questions...thanks a lot guys...this is a very helpful topic.

maverickbhs

Feb 25, 2012
Hi All,

I'm already in Canada, started applying for jobs and got few calls, and it got bit slow now due to holiday season. Hope somthig works out by new year :

Hi Ankit, kindly PM your details, i shall connect with you.

Rgds
maverick_bhs@yahoo.com

talk2uzair

Dec 20, 2012
Hi One and All,

Appreciate your response. I'm part of the IT world too mostly into Testing & QA with experience on HP BTO suite like BSM, Sitescope, RUM, QC & QTP. Also, I have good hold on Cloud based testing via multiple tools.

Recently my family (Myself and Wife) appeared for IELTS with 6 and 6.5 bands respectively. I'm keen to start Canadian Immigration process but seems FSWP is on hold till May 4th 2013 & I think Qubec is the legitimate option to go with.

I hold a Masters in IT with 6+yrs of experience with an onsite exp in UK for a year. My wife has Bachelor in Science & a home maker. I need guidance from you all to understand if Immigration to Canada at this stage would be a good move?

Please detail down your observations / suggestions / comments to understand if I stand a chance to be part of excellent Canadian culture?

Thanks