IT Job prospects in Canada

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mellvin12345 said:
i passed 1000 plus resumes before 3 employers called me up - pls be patient
Did any of the employers offer you a job?

scorpio2021

Dec 23, 2012
Hi,

I am working with MNC and i am also in the process of applying for FSW which is to be opened on May..

Any pointers here pls?

Thanks

talk2uzair

Dec 20, 2012
The first and basic requirement is to clear IELTS - General Training with 7bands post which you can proceed with other Immigration requirements.

IELTS can be taken either from British Council or IDP - Australia

Good luck!

chibiks

Apr 12, 2010
i decided to spend 3 minutes to give back here. i would advice any sensible person right now to get out of IT especially at entry level. Folks with even 8 - 10 years experience are on like 80k. The market is saturated; try a less saturated field.

IT wages are being depressed. you can even log onto www.freelancer.com and people can do the work for pea nuts. in IT, if you dont rise to management position fast or through the ranks to like Chief Information Officer, for get as sooner or later if u cannot accept entry level wages u will be replaced with someone younger!

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Its Disastrous for IT guys in Canada at the moment.
Already Canada has a huge number of their own graduates who get inject into the entry level jobs.
a lot of them are unemployed and leading a miserable life.
Still they have the high chances as they got the education from here as well as the Co op experience even before they got graduated from their colleges.

Canada for IT ____________________NOT THE PLACE TO BE IF YOU DONT HAVE SOMETHING EXTRA ORDINARY

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
jnathan said:
Its Disastrous for IT guys in Canada at the moment.
Already Canada has a huge number of their own graduates who get inject into the entry level jobs.
a lot of them are unemployed and leading a miserable life.
Still they have the high chances as they got the education from here as well as the Co op experience even before they got graduated from their colleges.

Canada for IT ____________________NOT THE PLACE TO BE IF YOU DONT HAVE SOMETHING EXTRA ORDINARY
You are talking about the entry level jobs in IT industry.
How is the situation for Project management (with PMP) level jobs. DO you think with 14 yrs of IT exp and 5+ yrs of PM exp with PMP certification, finding job in relevant field would be as tough as is at entry level ?

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Experience outside Canada has ZERO acceptance in Canada.
Canadian Employers don't count on your experience gained outside.
There are exceptions though but in exclusive cases only.

busybee

Jan 22, 2013
ankit_20 said:
For IT guys who have landed in Canada or are landing in Canada, I believe the job prospects are promising. I believe this is because of 2 reasons
1.) In IT space the skills are transferrable. You code in Java, C or any other programming language same way across the world. Same goes for testing, administration, project management, support in IT field that skills are transferrable
2) Most candidates that I came across have decent English skills as they appear in IELTS before getting the PR and most of them has worked for Europe or US either from onsite or from a offshore location

I have been involved in mentoring some new immigrants for Canadian job market and found few things that may help new immigrants from IT background
1.) Over the period of time you have done many roles in IT space like development, BA, being a lead managing client, a PM etc. Please chosse what you want to do in Canada out of these roles. Create a resume targetted to that particular role. If you feel that even though you were a PM in last role but you are more suited for BA role, create a resume that can convey you are a solid BA
2.) Skills are transferrable, the gap is Canadaian experience or soft skills in most case. As you land in Canada join Coop, volunteer opportunities once you land in canada to bridge the Canadian exp or soft skill gap
3.) Institutions like Access employment, emploment Ontario etc help you bridge the soft skills gap
4.) Look out for a mentor in Candian market, TRIEC is a good resource. You can rech out to some on you know to give you 20-25 hours in 3 months as mentor
4.) Prepare for Candian style intterview. The interview here is more soft skill based, behavioral and very little technical. If you do not get an interview it depends on lot of things and some which are beyond your control, but if you flunk more that 3 interviews, it is a sin. It means you have not prepared well. if you need more information on how to prepare for interviews, search for various thread on this forum, one that I recommend is canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/something-which-i-learnt-in-canada-t59921.0.html
5.) Some recruiters, some time exploit new immigrants in my personal opinion, but are very goood source of getting you the first job. But more helpful will be people you know through linkedin, mentorship program or intership program or volunteer opportunities

If you need any more information or help in your job search in IT space please feel free to reach out to me
Hi Ankit,
I am in the process of applying for PR under FSW program.

I am an Embedded software engineer ,having around 10 years of experience in my field. I am looking for opportunities in canada in my field. Which province has more available jobs in my field? Can u pls help me out how to prepare for job interviews in canada.

johndavis

Jan 29, 2013
I'm also looking for system admin position in reputed company. If someone knows, please let me know.
Thank you.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
and your qualification for that?

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sharat_joshi77 said:
You are talking about the entry level jobs in IT industry.
How is the situation for Project management (with PMP) level jobs. DO you think with 14 yrs of IT exp and 5+ yrs of PM exp with PMP certification, finding job in relevant field would be as tough as is at entry level ?
it is good for a profile that you mentioned Sharat. You can connect a person with such a profile to me and I may be able to help

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
I doubt one could get into Canadian Software project management straight after migration.

Ankit,

Are there enough jobs being offered to Migrants ?

desirecanada

Star Member
Nov 29, 2010
Hi All,
I am a new person to this forum. I am a software Engineer having around 7 years of experience in Peoplesoft ERP.
Any idea about Job market for guys like me in canada.I have worked in canada from 2008-2010.