Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
firefox793 said:
Hello,

Do you have any openings for SAP SD functional consultant in Ontario?
Depends on where you are. Are you in Canada? / Ontario?

Neetu310

Star Member
Jan 2, 2013
hi everyone ,

i came to toronto last month from india and have indian experience of 7 years in QA . I have applied to many places but no reply.

Can some help me with job search like how much time it usually takes to get atleast first interview call here.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From my experience I applied to about 1,000 jobs then I started getting calls from Employment agencies, after bugging them for 6 months and another 10,000 job applications later I got something closely resembling a job. My time frame was 2 years.

Syed Arsalan

Star Member
Jun 3, 2012
Hello to all,

I am new hear I read this post and found very interesting and informative.. I am flying for saskatoon,sasketchwan within 3 months . I am doing my graduation B.S (Computer) in my home country.
I have following skills tell me in saskatoon how i get my field job .. and i am not hard to find my field job I need survival jobs like cashier, clerks , data entry operator some thing like that.

html,
css,
MS- Office,
asp.net,
sql

thanks

rishabshanker said:
Hi All,

I am a new immigrant and have landed here with a job by god's grace. I am an IT professional. In my attempt to help all new immigrants and future immigrants I am posting job postings which I receive in the mail.

As a thumb rule the following points may help you get a job soon, this is what I personally did and I found 2 jobs one as soon as I landed last year to complete my landing formalities and another recently which I have taken up.

1. Create a Canadian format CV - This is super important, most people from India and other asian counties have CVs which run into pages and also include a lot of unnecessary info such as Date of Birth, religion, father's name, marital status, name of school, college etc. Get rid of all these junk data from your CV. Here in Canada nobody is interested in these details, all they want to know is are you qualified to do the job? do you have relevant experience in a similar job? are you able to articulate your skills clearly on your CV? thats all. remember your CV is like a movie poster, looking at the poster you should want to watch the movie, if the poster itself is boring then there is a good chance nobody will watch the movie!!

2. If you are coming from the middle east then please please lower your expectations, the economy of the middle east is flush with oil money and companies there will often pay you a lot of money for jobs like administrative officer or secretarial jobs. In Canada and the real world such is not the case, I have worked in the middle east and have seen a lot of south asians and south east asians working in jobs like office assistant and making 3000-4000 US$, nowhere else in the world will a job like that be paid a salary like that. In Canada your salary is related to the skills the job requires and the availability of those skills in the market, so if you want to wok in a generic field then be prepared for a generic salary.

3. Survival jobs are ok but if they are also a trap, if you take a survival job then you will see money coming in to your hands and more often than not survival jobs squeeze a lot of work from you in the form of overtime etc, so at the end of the day you will hardly have the time or the energy to focus on your original job hunt in your chosen field. I know a guy who came to Canada took up a job as a waiter just to survive its been 7 years and he is still a waiter because he doesnt have time to look for another job , plus he is earning decent salary so he has become complacent, he is a accountant by profession, but now a full time waiter...not because of Canada...because of the choice he made

4. If you are in a profession which is regulated in Canada, please do enough and more research about your field of work and the requirements for certification etc before even buying your ticket to Canada. This is important because in some cases you may have to get strong reference from employers or educational institutions or governing bodies in your respective countries before even applying for credential assessment in Canada. There is no point in coming here in a big rush, then finding out you need 20 documents to be attested by your college/employer and then blaming Canada for not providing you opportunities. This country works on rules and principles, follow them and there is equal opportunity to all if you want to bypass or find a shortcut then in all probability you will simply lose your way!!

5. Brush up your skills in your field of work, there are a lot of people especially in the IT field who are doing a job just because they happened to get an opportunity in that field and then just continued there and learnt technology or technical skills on the job. In Canada even if you are an IT guy with 20 yrs experience you have to prove your knowledge and in this respect certifications like CCNA, MCSE, PMP, ITIL etc are extremely helpful, because these are issued by global organizations and go a long way in establishing your credibility.

6. Networking is super super important. Both the jobs that I got in Canada, I got them through linked in, by building professional contacts. I must have applied for close to 200 jobs before I came here, but the fact that I was not physically available for interviews in Canada plus the fact that I had not worked for any Canadian company made it really really tough for me to land a job, so what I id is I modified my CV. I have worked for MNC companies like IBM and HP, so in my CV I just mentioned as IBM and HP without mentioning locations (india), this way I was able to get the attention of the person going through my CV, which means he was curious to meet me, a person who has worked for IBM or HP and then it was upto me. This small trick helped me get an opportunity to atleast interview for the job, after that it was upto me to impress the potential employer!!

7. Never apply for more than one job in the same company. Though there maybe more than one suitable job, please choose the best one and apply for it. I know that we all would like to increase our chances, but by applying for more than one job in the same company what we are communicating is that we are desperate for a job and that we really dont know which job we want an also that we are ready to take anything thrown our way. This really gives a negative impression, so try not to do it.

8. Communication is extremely important. I mean your English language skills, I am not saying you should speak English with a perfect accent or you should know the queen's English. You should be able to communicate your thoughts clearly and without any mother tongue influence. when you apply for a job and give a phone interview, you are nothing but a voice on the other end, and if that voice is not clear and understandable, then the person interviewing my lose interest or get frustrated and you will end up losing an opportunity. For your own sake, polish your communication skills. speak slowly without any accent that's all that is required, try not to use fillers like "you know", "like", "I mean", etc. when you use a phrase too many times while speaking the other person unconsciously starts paying attention only to that phrase, you can check this for yourself, speak to somebody who uses such fillers often and you will see how much of the conversation you actually paid attention to. :) this by the way is a clinically proven fact!!

Please contact he links/email/contact numbers in the ads directly. I dont know any of these people, I am just posting whatever I can find.

All the Best & God Bless
Cheers,
Rishab

winie

Star Member
Jan 24, 2013
Hi,

I am from India coming to Canada for my masters in computer engg. this may

I wanted to know about job scenario in IT.I am a Oracle Certified professional and have 2 or 3 internships but no work experience.

what are the jobs prospects for me after competing my master's??any idea?

thanks

adri0071324

Apr 5, 2013
could you send me your CV too because i also want to work in canada the problem is im a fresh graduate and a lot of company is looking for someone who is already in the country .

Roshmi

Nov 29, 2012
Hi rishab,

Thanks a lot for your valuable input. Can you please guide me what is sap certification and how is it helpful in international market. I have done java but have o experience. It will be good to hear from you regarding g this. Thanks

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
mehulpopat12 said:
Hi rishab,

please send me canadian CV to my mail id--->> mehulpopat2010 @ gmail.com
This thread is more than 8 months old. Rishab is no longer replying to this.

vijayanand

Apr 11, 2014
Bangalore, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2014
ashwooddream said:
Hi everyone,

I have been MIA from this site for the past year, thought I might help my fellow IT people with what I've experienced so far...

First, my timeline:
Apr 2012 - landed in Edmonton
Apr-May 2012 - applied for IT jobs online (Monster.ca, Indeed.ca, HRDSC website, Simplyhired.ca, etc.)
May 2012 - first interview (Robert Half Consulting); second interview (EPCOR); and so on, many consulting firms called for interest checks. worked for 2 days at a warehouse (manual work); quit because I'm really a desk worker.
June 2012 - first job offer at a small software vendor, very good salary but a helpdesk type of work. Not my calling as I am a career business analyst. Lasted 3 weeks and quit.
July 2012 - interview in Calgary with a large Canadian utility company. Good interview but they went with an internal candidate.
August 2012 - second job at a large heavy equipment company as a business analyst/support person. Very good compensation, as of today, still at this job and loving it.

My profile:
Business analyst, with 7 year experience with international consulting giants Oracle and Accenture. No technical background. No international certifications. No IELTS examination, but extremely proficient in English.

Success factors in interviews:
- stick to what you know and be very knowledgeable at it. Don't be afraid to state actual work you have done, don't be afraid to boast that you have done this or that. Throw out technical terms if necessary. I found that they like to see confidence.
- don't be afraid to say you don't know. Don't pretend to know UML and fumble the meaning (I've done this). If you don't know, you don't know, they will appreciate you for this. Better to know now than know on the job and be fired for it.
- Make them laugh. I always make sure there are moments like this in interviews, it helps divert the focus from 'what you know' to 'who you are'.
- Certifications gets your resume noticed, but personality gets you hired. I can't stress this enough. Make sure they walk away from the interview feeling that you will fit in seamlessly with the team, and that you are not a difficult personality to deal with.
- NEVER, NEVER, NEVER show desperation. You need the job, but do not show them that you would die if you don't get it. When asked why you chose X company, do not resort to flattery or patronize the interviewing panel. Keep the focus on yourself and how the company will be better when you join.
- Buy a suit, but keep the suit in the car. For most interviews, the shirt and tie will suffice, but keep the suit in handy if you see other candidates wearing it. There is no advantage; I have gone through interviews with just a shirt and tie (no suit) and gotten job offers. Again, confidence.
- Bring multiple copies of resume. This should be a given.
- Create online resumes in every job site you visit. Recruiters always search.
- Do not focus on the big companies; IBM, HP, Accenture, etc are very selective here, so build experience with the small companies first, target them when job hunting. Even the non-name companies can fetch you 60k annual incomes if you have a great interview.
- Get a mobile phone, with unlimited incoming calls! VERY VERY IMPORTANT. You will be conducting a lot of phone interviews.

If you have any questions, I am more than happy to help, just send me a private message and let's see how I can help.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience, +1

jrandom

Jul 19, 2014
You need to know where to look. Vancouver craigslist has dev/network jobs. So does workbc, bctechnology, techvibes, (google all these.. can't post links). I've noticed Hootsuite and Global Relay are constantly hiring here, same with mdacorporation. No idea what their wages are like. They are always looking for java devs.

A lot of programming/code jobs are with startup companies. For example in Vancouver, Gastown is full of startups who want you to do DevOps, meaning you are a one man show doing front/back end programming, plus operations of deploying the app to some cloud service like Amazon AWS using chef/puppet.

There's also plenty of video game dev jobs, plus all the hollywood FX studios are here now instead of LA because cheaper taxes for them.
There's countless iOS/Android dev jobs. Then there's telecom jobs with Telus who do paid apprenticeships look at their website for careers. Same with Shaw, BC Hydro ect. You can also just work for yourself, if you have a good idea then submit it to ycombinator and get startup funding for it. They work with any country. Or get VC/angel funding here.

Amazon is building a skyscraper in downtown Vancouver and relocating a lot of jobs there.

There's also BC government and various city websites that have job listings, so does the RCMP/Vancouver police they often hire for variety of IT jobs. Craigslist has right now (Vancouver) 50 jobs for "Linux sysadmin". I did that for awhile, not a difficult job usually pays OK.