+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ist stage approved

kelemense

Nov 5, 2009
My wife just called me that she received a letter from CIC giving her go ahead to sponsor me for PR and that the file will be sent to the local visa centre that i chose ie ghana
But i have a problem.In 2006 i applied for a Uk student visa and was denied.I did not state it on the application form.Will that affect my application?Will they discover when doing the background checks,criminal checks.......?
I need help

SadGirl:(

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although I'm no expert at this, but it may show up during the background checks. I suppose it depends how thorough they will go into your background when doing the background checks. In my husband's case, apparently they've chosen to be very thorough!

But I don't think that being denied a student visa will really have an affect on your spousal application.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
you just need to be truthful with them. they don't always check for other countries visas applications. I know people who were denied visitors visa to the US and never mentioned that in application and it never was discovered by the visa office.

kelemense

Nov 5, 2009
yea i know ,i always good to be truthful but since it has been done that is why i need advice on it to see if something can be done
thanks anyway

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
you have 2 options now: 1st send them updated application with correction or just keep quite.
you need to decide.

The Littlest Hobo

Star Member
Nov 13, 2009
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
File Transfer...
7-12-2009
Passport Req..
18-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
3-02-2010
LANDED..........
20-03-2010
Hi kelemense,
This is not "advice" as I am not an expert, it is only my opinion. There is a question asking specifically about your admission to other countries, so obviously they want to know about this. You swore when you signed that you were answering all questions truthfully and to the best of your knowledge, so I think it is better to redo that form and attach a letter of explanation and send it in... I think it shows that you are being honest and open, and not waiting hoping they won't find out.

True, it does seem risky though, I can understand your worry!

But being refused a visa is not like committing a crime, it wasn't you that did anything it was the UK's decision and who knows their reasons? Do you? They just had a bombing in 2006 didn't they, then the Carlos Menendez thing... and they have all kinds of issues with immigration and unemployment and the new EU member states new mobile work force. It's in their news all the time, a political hot potato! Immigration is a VERY touchy issue there since the London bus/tube bombings and attempted airport bombings - so they may have just reduced their visa quota and it might have had nothing to do with you. In general Europe just doesn't want people to come in! (I'm from Canada and I also had to work hard to get my student visa to do a PhD in Europe). Or possibly they were just worried you wouldn't leave the UK after your studies? (something that CIC won't care about, since PR is not a short-term thing) Or maybe the UK thought you didn't have sufficient funds available in 2006? The CIC shouldn't care about that if you're being sponsored and anyways, UK university and cost of living are more expensive than in Canada! Or maybe just your English exam marks weren't high enough?

If you know the reason, and it's not something which is a problem for your application to Canada, then I would definitely explain or even show proof. If that is the case, it would probably be even better if you could show that this reason/situation (ie lack of funds or English proficiency) has been rectified in the 3 years since your refusal.

We did an IELTS test for my husband to prove his English level (should have done a French one as well, but it was just SO stupidly expensive!) and showed his pay slips and bank statements and business cards as proof that he's financially solvent, skilled, and employable at a senior level. Although these wasn't required, we figure every little bit helps to show that you can and normally do work to support yourself, and will contribute to society.

Anyways, the UK may have totally different criteria for their immigration in general, and I agree with SadGirl that a student application is an entirely different thing than joining your spouse for family reunification. Regardless, even if they did know about a refusal, I guess the CIC will not just take the UK's decision as their own, they will investigate your background and make their own decision based on criteria as a spouse, some of which must be entirely different.

Well, I sincerely wish you good luck!
TLH