+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issues with Name in Passport and COPR

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
Hi,

I am a landed immigrant. My country of origin is India.

I became Permanent Resident of Canada since March 04, 2014. In my passport there isn't any Surname. My name is in Given name field in my Passport. In my COPR my name was mentioned in the Family Name field and my Given Name is blank. When I went to Service Canada for my SIN on March 05, 2014 they said that since there is a mismatching in my name they have to put the Paper Application (I received my SIN card after 3 weeks). I have sent a request to CIC to change my Family Name to Given Name on March 05, 2014 to avoid further complications. I have attached the copies of my Passport, COPR, Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate.

I have received a letter from CIC this January and I was told that my request to amend my name is refused and my name is recorded in the family name field. They said that the family (surname) name field should always be considered as the primary identifier for an individual and in most cases a single name will appear in the family name field of the passport. But there may be cases where a single name is recorded as the given name in a passport. In that case the single name should be recorded in the family name field. They have also mentioned that do not resubmit any request unless I have additional evidence that an error was made in recording the information provided to CIC. I have received my PR Card, Health Card, Driving License (In driving License my First and second name is blank and my name is mentioned as surname), SIN Card without any errors.

My question is that, do I have to do anything further in this issue. Would it create any problem for applying Citizenship and renewing my PR Card on 2019? Would be there any problem in the Airports? Please share your thought and knowledge.

Thanks and Regards

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
If for example your given name in passport is Mohan Kumar and surname is blank.

When the PPR is received you get a form along with it to resend to visa office.

Here they ask Family name ( as in passport) and first name (as in passport).

Here was the time you should have done it correctly.

You should in this place put Kumar as Family name and Mohan as first name though on your passport its just Given names and surname blank.

Suppose it was Mohan Kumar Singh. Then Singh as Family name and Mohan Kumar as First name.

Next after getting COPR and before landing in Canada everyone needs to check all details carefully in COPR as any mistake found should be bought to the Visa office attention before landing and maybe a little delay will happen but you do not later have to run pillar to post to sort it out.

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. Could you please tell me there would be any problem for me because of this. I am planning to prepare an affidavit from a Lawyer that I am the same person whose name mentioned incorrectly in COPR and Passport. Woudl that be enough or do I have to do further?

Thanks a lot

Copernicus

Mar 22, 2020
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. Could you please tell me there would be any problem for me because of this. I am planning to prepare an affidavit from a Lawyer that I am the same person whose name mentioned incorrectly in COPR and Passport. Woudl that be enough or do I have to do further?

Thanks a lot
Hello

Trust you are well.

I realise that it has been a long time since this post was published, but I would want to know what did you manage to do? I am in a very similar situation. I just received my CoPR and like you I am an Indian without a surname. My Given name is all that I have. CoPR shows the Family name as my Given name. My Given name is correct on my Indian passport and my surname is blank (rightfully so, because I don't have a surname) Other posts seem to suggest that this won't create any issue, but it seems like you've had some hurdles with other kinds of documentation in Canada. So do let me know, if it it worth requesting pushing to change my name on the CoPR. Thank you!

Regards

Last edited: