+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issues on International Student Visa Application

genius77

Star Member
Dec 25, 2008
Hi to all. I am new in this group and I hope that I can hear views of the members on the following:

1. I previously applied for FSW but my application was returned as my profession is not among the 38-occupational list. Will my intention to apply for an international student visa will be affected?

2. I have a common-law partner who will accompany me. When can my partner apply for the work permit? Can he file it immediately upon arrival in Canada even without an employer or should he need to find an employer first before th work permit will be issued?

3. I intend to enrol in a 2-year diploma course, is the fund required $10,000 (plus $400 for my partner) for the entire duration of the course or should I raise funds double such amount?

Looking forward hearing from you.

Cheers,
Genius77

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. I don't know, you have already shown them that you would like to immigrate to Canada by applying for FSW, now you need to convince them that you do not want to stay in Canada but on the contrary have strong ties with your homeland and will return there after your studies.

2. Your partner can apply for a work permit before arriving, when arriving or after arriving. As the spouse of a student, your partner can get an open work permit and it is not tied to a certain employer and does not need to find an employer first before getting a permit.

3. Ask the embassy. If your partner is applying for a work permit at the same time, you might not have to show as much in funds.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
1. I don't know, you have already shown them that you would like to immigrate to Canada by applying for FSW, now you need to convince them that you do not want to stay in Canada but on the contrary have strong ties with your homeland and will return there after your studies.

2. Your partner can apply for a work permit before arriving, when arriving or after arriving. As the spouse of a student, your partner can get an open work permit and it is not tied to a certain employer and does not need to find an employer first before getting a permit.

3. Ask the embassy. If your partner is applying for a work permit at the same time, you might not have to show as much in funds.
1. For a spousal open work permit don't forget that the school must be approved.
2. Actually the funds necessary would be for 2 people as there is no guarantee that the spouse will be working immediately after they arrive. A single student has to have $10,000 for living expenses and additional $4000 for the spouse and $3000 for each child, plus the tuition. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op12e.pdf Section 7.7

PMM

genius77

Star Member
Dec 25, 2008
thanks guys for the valuable insights. i guess i just really have to give a very good justification on how to satisfy the visa officer that i really want to add a new skill - though my real intention is to eventualy qualify under the canadian experience class... ;-)

my plan to study is still by 2010 so i still have lots of time to think for something good and i am hoping the interval will be a good thing. by the way, i am currently an overseas worker here in dubai. will it also have bearing or effect on my student visa application?

by the way, i hope all of you had a great holiday and wishing you the best for the coming year.

Radhika

Mar 28, 2009
genius77 hi

I am alos in the same boat and planning to apply for a student visa for 2010. could you pl tell me for which diploma course u are planning to apply for

thanks
radhika

ssssidhu

May 28, 2009
Hi,
I have just comleted my postgraduation in biotechnology. Now i want to do a PG Diploma in microbiology from canada. I have got an informarion that microbiology is not available for international students. I just want to confirm this thing. Please tell me whether microbiology is avialable for international students or not. If yes then please tell me where it is available in canada. I am SSSsidhu from INDIA waiting for your response.

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
ssssidhu said:
Hi,
I have just comleted my postgraduation in biotechnology. Now i want to do a PG Diploma in microbiology from canada. I have got an informarion that microbiology is not available for international students. I just want to confirm this thing. Please tell me whether microbiology is avialable for international students or not. If yes then please tell me where it is available in canada. I am SSSsidhu from INDIA waiting for your response.
Could you share the basis of how you found out that microbiology is not available for international students. Was it just specific to the microbiology program from your educational institution? Depending on universities/colleges, each may have programs not available to international students.

Is it microbiology as a field of study that is not available in general, regardless of educational institution?

desiree29

Jul 27, 2009
hi i posted an application for student visa that was received mid june 2009. i am visitin the website, (www.trinidadandtobago.gc.ca)and it says that in your application, u need to enclose a pre paid courier envelope or else your documents will be returned.i just realize i forgot to include one so i am wondering if really it wold be returened for a simple reason as that.

desiree29

Jul 27, 2009
i am from st.lucia, and my cic office is in trinidad. on their website it says that u dont need to send a passport with the application, just a copy of the passport pages. is that right?

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
desiree29 said:
i am from st.lucia, and my cic office is in trinidad. on their website it says that u dont need to send a passport with the application, just a copy of the passport pages. is that right?
Hi Desiree, are you from a visa-exempt country? I visited the website for Trinidad Tobago and it is clearly stated that copy of passport identity page and not actual passport is required. Reason being that once your application is approved, the visa office will only send you letter of authorization with study permit. These are documents which are not affixed to the passport.

For students from non-visa exempt countries, their passports are required because visas will be affixed to passport pages.

Hope this helps.

sasha18

Jun 13, 2009
Alberta
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
30Oct2016
Nomination.....
05may2016
AOR Received.
30dec2016
Kyuo1o170 Hey mate are u an immigration officer please can you look at my forum and answer me you know submitted my application for stundent permit but my start date was 27 july 2009 got an extention for another month done my medicals three weeks ago still waiting the question is the extension the colleage send me its in an email format so i forwarded it to the canadian embasy do you think they will accept it ?? And you know how pathetic are they ? With answering email your advise is appreciated

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
sasha18 said:
Kyuo1o170 Hey mate are u an immigration officer please can you look at my forum and answer me you know submitted my application for stundent permit but my start date was 27 july 2009 got an extention for another month done my medicals three weeks ago still waiting the question is the extension the colleage send me its in an email format so i forwarded it to the canadian embasy do you think they will accept it ?? And you know how pathetic are they ? With answering email your advise is appreciated
Hi Sasha, I think it is preferable to send letter of extension printed on official college stationery. But if you've already forwarded the email and have not heard back from CIC, then we can only hope that it is acceptable. If I were you, I would get an official letter of extension then mail it by registered mail to CIC. Did you send your request to Vegreville?

Are you already in Canada, you mentioned you are requesting CIC for an extension of your study permit? If you are, I am wondering why they only asked you for a medicals only a few weeks ago. My medicals were done before I came to the country.

sasha18

Jun 13, 2009
Alberta
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
30Oct2016
Nomination.....
05may2016
AOR Received.
30dec2016
Thats what i thought i will get from the colleage i have asked the colleage people to issue that extention to cic as an independent confirmation !!! But will asked them for a proper one once they say they cannot accept it *

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
sasha18 said:
Thats what i thought i will get from the colleage i have asked the colleage people to issue that extention to cic as an independent confirmation !!! But will asked them for a proper one once they say they cannot accept it *
Hi, if I were you I'd get the formal letter from the college and forward it to CIC asap. We can only hope that CIC will act in your favor and let you know that if the email is not acceptable, then they will give you a chance to get the official letter.

But what if you wait and CIC comes back and tells you that the email is not acceptable and that as a result your extension request has been denied? Then you will waste more time and perhaps money when you file another application with the right documentary attachment.

Wish you luck.

sasha18

Jun 13, 2009
Alberta
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
30Oct2016