+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issue with Marriage certificate India Sponsorship Application

Nov 12, 2016
We had an interview in New Delhi and the agent refused our application based on legality of our marriage. My wife is a born muslim living in Canada and I converted to Islam back in 2015 but never got a conversion letter or document as to convert you only need to recite "Shahada". During the interview the agent stated that she doesn't believe that i m muslim even after i answered all her questions and she had false information on Islam and based on that she decided that I was faking my religious faith.
We did the nikah ceremony (muslim ceremony) and to please my mom we also had a sikh wedding. We hired a lawyer in India to help us obtain our marriage certificate and he told us that must register our sikh marriage as our muslim marriage won't be approved because I didn't have the conversion letter. We are looking into making an appeal however i don't know if the agent was wrong saying our marriage isn't valid as my wife didn't convert to Sikhism or if its a mistake on her part. Basically i am looking to see how we can get approved.

We have marriage certificate registered under Hindu Act and it is recognized in India as i was able to add my wife under spouse name on my my passport by providing marriage certificate.