28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks guys. HR says she isn't eligible;e for any benefits

I have informed her. Vitamin D Injections and Calcium were prescribed to her. Multi-vitamins and protein capsules, she is having on her own!
OK - so that confirms she was hired as a contractor. One of the reasons for the higher pay for contractors vs. employees is because contractors aren't covered by the corporate benefits plan. If they want benefits like short term and long term disability to ensure income protection - this is something they must purchase privately on their own. If she was an employee, she would also probably get at least partial coverage for the injections and calcium that were prescribed to her. But again, as a contractor, it was up to her to purchase this insurance on her own. Tough situation - but at least she knows now that she isn't entitled to any support from her workplace.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
She is working since May 2017.

She is like she can go unpaid for next 2-3 months, get surgery in India ($2000) and return in Feb end ($2000 to and fro from Canada to India), rather paying $8000-9000 in private surgery in Canada. Would her surgery in India be reimbursed including her travel?
Pls understand that after Jet Airways collapse, Other airlines are exploiting Canada<->India route and hence airfares have skyrocketed.

1> airfare to any major city in India ~ 2000$
2> surgery cost in India in any known hospital like Apollo/Fortis ~ 2000$
3> miscellaneous costs ~ 1000$

Take into account all this in your calculation as well.

Saudamini

Star Member
Mar 31, 2017
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2016
Doc's Request.
Not Needed
Nomination.....
FSW, Not PNP
AOR Received.
02-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
07-02-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
13-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2017
LANDED..........
Soon :)
Pls understand that after Jet Airways collapse, Other airlines are exploiting Canada<->India route and hence airfares have skyrocketed.

Still $5,000 compared to $9,000 in Canada (just for surgery). She would need physiotherapy as well which will cost extra compared to India where it is INR 800 - INR 1600 per hour session (CAD 16-32), sometimes I feel India has so high quality low cost medical. I have seen people coming from Middle East, South Asia and now even NHS funds people to travel to India and get surgery.

She is still weighing in what to take next step. I have advised her travel to India for surgery and get this sorted rather than waiting till April end and then again 5-6 weeks!

I will surely buy insurance once I am in Canada as I wont have OHIP when I land. This is great lesson for me as well. Such a minor injury and you loose work for 5-6 months!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I will surely buy insurance once I am in Canada as I wont have OHIP when I land. This is great lesson for me as well. Such a minor injury and you loose work for 5-6 months!
OHIP doesn't cover all of this. What your friend is having to pay is above and beyond OHIP coverage.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Still $5,000 compared to $9,000 in Canada (just for surgery). She would need physiotherapy as well which will cost extra compared to India where it is INR 800 - INR 1600 per hour session (CAD 16-32), sometimes I feel India has so high quality low cost medical. I have seen people coming from Middle East, South Asia and now even NHS funds people to travel to India and get surgery.

She is still weighing in what to take next step. I have advised her travel to India for surgery and get this sorted rather than waiting till April end and then again 5-6 weeks!

If you don’t sign up for OHIP and let’s say you get into an accident and you’re carted off to the hospital, you’re looking at a catastrophic amount of a medical bill
Or just walking into a walk in clinic
It’s two things ; OHIP card or credit card
Insurance purchased privately is as mentioned is for things over and above what is OHIP billed
Not obtaining OHIP would be an incredibly unadvisable thing to do

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

It's called " market demand "

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
If you don’t sign up for OHIP and let’s say you get into an accident and you’re carted off to the hospital, you’re looking at a catastrophic amount of a medical bill
Insurance purchased privately is as mentioned is for things over and above what is OHIP billed
she is talking about initial 3 months, when OHIP doesnt kick-in.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I still don’t understand why she can’t work for 3 months and why surgery is delayed. Many people are able to go to work with a boot on and work with their foot elevated all day. It is not like bed rest when you are pregnant and can’t move more than to go to the bathroom. It is challenging getting to the office but after that it shouldn’t be an issue. Are they trying to see if the fracture heals on it’s own first and then operate if it hasn’t healed? The situation doesn’t make sense to me. Her medication doesn’t make sense either. Protein capsules? Regular vitamin D injections? She is a younger woman who has hopefully has been taking a vitamin D supplement or may have normal vitamin D levels already. It is a break of the metatarsal bones so not a huge bone and she doesn’t likely have osteoporosis so her bones should heal on their own with time. All the various supplements aren’t necessary.

Saudamini

Star Member
Mar 31, 2017
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2016
Doc's Request.
Not Needed
Nomination.....
FSW, Not PNP
AOR Received.
02-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
07-02-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
13-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2017
LANDED..........
thats for first 3 months! I'll get healthcard once I complete by 3 months

Saudamini

Star Member
Mar 31, 2017
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2016
Doc's Request.
Not Needed
Nomination.....
FSW, Not PNP
AOR Received.
02-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
07-02-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
13-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2017
LANDED..........
I still don’t understand why she can’t work for 3 months and why surgery is delayed. Many people are able to go to work with a boot on and work with their foot elevated all day. It is not like bed rest when you are pregnant and can’t move more than to go to the bathroom. It is challenging getting to the office but after that it shouldn’t be an issue. Are they trying to see if the fracture heals on it’s own first and then operate if it hasn’t healed? The situation doesn’t make sense to me. Her medication doesn’t make sense either. Protein capsules? Regular vitamin D injections? She is a younger woman who has hopefully has been taking a vitamin D supplement or may have normal vitamin D levels already. It is a break of the metatarsal bones so not a huge bone and she doesn’t likely have osteoporosis so her bones should heal on their own with time. All the various supplements aren’t necessary.
Her vitamin D was below 10. In 20% of cases, Jones fracture they dont heel on their own. They haven't seen any heeling till now.

She did ask for WFH, but wasn't given. Going to office is big issue.

She was having multi vitamins and proteins on its own (those weren't prescribed), she thinks her diet lacks protein and vitamins. Although I still think its just Consumer Healthcare marketing which makes us buy these multi vitamins or proteins.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Her vitamin D was below 10. In 20% of cases, Jones fracture they dont heel on their own. They haven't seen any heeling till now.

She did ask for WFH, but wasn't given. Going to office is big issue.

She was having multi vitamins and proteins on its own (those weren't prescribed), she thinks her diet lacks protein and vitamins. Although I still think its just Consumer Healthcare marketing which makes us buy these multi vitamins or proteins.
So they are waiting to see if it heals before doing surgery which is very different than there are such long wait times that she was offered surgery 5 months after her incident. You can’t complain about the cost of medication using all your savings if they are not actually prescribed your doctor. It seems like getting into the office may be the issue but she could actually go to work daily if she could raise her foot while she works. Not sure how she usually gets to work but if she lives in a condo someone else might work downtown or goes to the GO station or TTC station daily. Probably too late at this point but did she look at other options? If she lives downtown she could probably Uber to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Copingwithlife

Saudamini

Star Member
Mar 31, 2017
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2016
Doc's Request.
Not Needed
Nomination.....
FSW, Not PNP
AOR Received.
02-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
07-02-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
13-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2017
LANDED..........
So they are waiting to see if it heals before doing surgery which is very different than there are such long wait times that she was offered surgery 5 months after her incident. You can’t complain about the cost of medication using all your savings if they are not actually prescribed your doctor. It seems like getting into the office may be the issue but she could actually go to work daily if she could raise her foot while she works. Not sure how she usually gets to work but if she lives in a condo someone else might work downtown or goes to the GO station or TTC station daily. Probably too late at this point but did she look at other options? If she lives downtown she could probably Uber to work.
They suggested Surgery in third appointment. They are not waiting to see if it heels. Its been 8-9 weeks already and it hasn't heeled. Vitamin D and Calcium were prescribed! Jones fracture show heeling signs if yes within 4-5 weeks.
She lives in Oakville that too in Apartment, even doing day to day work is big task. And she did try to go to office using Uber, however, it was very difficult

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They suggested Surgery in third appointment. They are not waiting to see if it heels. Its been 8-9 weeks already and it hasn't heeled. Vitamin D and Calcium were prescribed! Jones fracture show heeling signs if yes within 4-5 weeks.
She lives in Oakville that too in Apartment, even doing day to day work is big task. And she did try to go to office using Uber, however, it was very difficult
I am just saying that it appeared from your previous post that she had fractured her foot and right after they had told her that she would have to wait for surgery. Vitamin D was prescribed but there is no need for repeat Vitamin D injections. Very little clinical evidence that shows that calcium and vitamin D supplements actually help healing in a significant way. They can’t hurt unless taken in large amounts. Vitamin D liquids and calcium pills and not very expensive. All Canadians are recommended to take vitamin D. D drops were very well for my levels and mine were looked at more carefully because I became malnourished do to a longterm stomach issue. Not saying that it isn’t difficult to have a broken foot but in her case she isn’t bed bound. The instructions she would have been given was to keep her foot up elevated as much as possible, wear her boot and not overdo it when it comes to movement.