Vandave

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Tsawassen, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-06-2017
Need that information to fill my sponsorship application.

Should I just fill in the YP-AP (two digit) as the date I got my citizenship card?

Appreciated.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does it ask the date you received Canadian citizenship or the date you received your card? The date on the card is the issue date, which isn't necessarily the date you received Canadian citizenship. (This has been corrected on the new citizenship certificates.) If you are a naturalized citizen, enter the day you were naturalized. If you are a citizen by birth in Canada, enter your date of birth. If you are a citizen by descent, enter your date of birth or January 1, 1947, whichever is more recent.

Vandave

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Tsawassen, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-06-2017
alphazip said:
Does it ask the date you received Canadian citizenship or the date you received your card? The date on the card is the issue date, which isn't necessarily the date you received Canadian citizenship. (This has been corrected on the new citizenship certificates.) If you are a naturalized citizen, enter the day you were naturalized. If you are a citizen by birth in Canada, enter your date of birth. If you are a citizen by descent, enter your date of birth or January 1, 1947, whichever is more recent.
I am naturalized citizen. I can not remember the date even year because it has been long time (97).

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vandave said:
I am naturalized citizen. I can not remember the date even year because it has been long time (97).
If you have nothing (invitation letter, etc.) showing the exact date of your naturalization ceremony, you have two choices:

1) Simply enter the year only, as given on the citizenship card (apparently 1997), or

2) If the day and month are required, have a search made of citizenship records: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/search.asp

xionatos

Jun 3, 2020
If you have nothing (invitation letter, etc.) showing the exact date of your naturalization ceremony, you have two choices:

1) Simply enter the year only, as given on the citizenship card (apparently 1997), or

2) If the day and month are required, have a search made of citizenship records: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/search.asp
Sir I need your help please if possible, I am applying for the Canadian Armed Forces I am going in as a direct entry officer, but my application got rejected becaue of 2 questions. The questions are "Date of entry into Canada" and "If you are a Naturalized Canadian give the certificate number and date of issue".
I was born in Greece in 1992 and I was naturalized through my mother in 1996 I have the certificate there is the certificate number they need on it ,but the section where the date should be shown says N/A Not Applicable I also have the small citizenship card there is a section that says YP-AP 96 on it so I know it was back in 1996 when I was naturalized, though I do not know the exact date and month and they are asking for it, I also have the official letter that it was mailed to the Canadain embassy in Greece that says "Please find attached the miniature and the commemorative certificates of Canadian citizenship" on this letter the date and month is shown" 2-6-1996 should I use this date , or make a research ? I believe I physically entered Canada for the first time in 2017 unless if I was brought here before in the past when I was a child I can not recall, how can I find this information? What is the meaning of "Date of entry into Canada" do they mean the actual date that I came here or the date that I got the Canadian citizenship through the naturalization process? When I placed 2017 as the date of entry their response was "Please clarify or correct the date of entry to Canada 2017/01/31 as the applicant has been naturalized prior to his first date of entry to Canada (1996/02/06)." please email me back at yannis.gri@gmail.com or I will be waiting for your answer here . Thank you very much sir for your time and effort to help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sir I need your help please if possible, I am applying for the Canadian Armed Forces I am going in as a direct entry officer, but my application got rejected becaue of 2 questions. The questions are "Date of entry into Canada" and "If you are a Naturalized Canadian give the certificate number and date of issue".
I was born in Greece in 1992 and I was naturalized through my mother in 1996 I have the certificate there is the certificate number they need on it ,but the section where the date should be shown says N/A Not Applicable I also have the small citizenship card there is a section that says YP-AP 96 on it so I know it was back in 1996 when I was naturalized, though I do not know the exact date and month and they are asking for it, I also have the official letter that it was mailed to the Canadain embassy in Greece that says "Please find attached the miniature and the commemorative certificates of Canadian citizenship" on this letter the date and month is shown" 2-6-1996 should I use this date , or make a research ? I believe I physically entered Canada for the first time in 2017 unless if I was brought here before in the past when I was a child I can not recall, how can I find this information? What is the meaning of "Date of entry into Canada" do they mean the actual date that I came here or the date that I got the Canadian citizenship through the naturalization process? When I placed 2017 as the date of entry their response was "Please clarify or correct the date of entry to Canada 2017/01/31 as the applicant has been naturalized prior to his first date of entry to Canada (1996/02/06)." please email me back at yannis.gri@gmail.com or I will be waiting for your answer here . Thank you very much sir for your time and effort to help.

1. You weren't naturalized. Naturalized means that you emigrated to Canada as a Permanent Resident and then became a citizen.
2. You received your citizenship through descent, either your mother or your father was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth, and that is why the certificate was sent to them in Greece. They applied for you as a Canadian citizen born abroad.
3, So your original date of entry was in 2017. You have to tell them that your were a Canadian citizen born abroad not naturalized.