+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is your citizen application delayed for security checks?

Danielnases

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Hi Everyone. I applied for citizenship in Oct 2017. they started processing my application on Dec 08 and I passed the interview and test on Jan 25. at the time of interview the officer told me that they are waiting for my security clearance to be cleared. since then I'm waiting and its frustrating :(. I was wondering if other people have similar experience and they are just waiting for their security check? I'm from Edmonton btw.

robreeves

Jun 24, 2014
Hi Everyone. I applied for citizenship in Oct 2017. they started processing my application on Dec 08 and I passed the interview and test on Jan 25. at the time of interview the officer told me that they are waiting for my security clearance to be cleared. since then I'm waiting and its frustrating :(. I was wondering if other people have similar experience and they are just waiting for their security check? I'm from Edmonton btw.
I am currently in this situation also, although i have not been waiting as long as you have. I passed my test on 6th April 2018 in Edmonton and the officer told me the same thing. It is quite frustrating.

Danielnases

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
I am currently in this situation also, although i have not been waiting as long as you have. I passed my test on 6th April 2018 in Edmonton and the officer told me the same thing. It is quite frustrating.
can you please write down your dates?

proman

Mar 23, 2018
Passed test feb 20
Niagara Falls
Still in process
Wait is frustrating
Judging by the spreadsheet it seems the Niagara Falls centre have several persons in this situation. And interesting coincidence

sherych

Oct 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott-Pilot Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2012
Doc's Request.
01-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-09-2012
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Request
16-08-2013
Med's Done....
22-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
3-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2013
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
Passed the test Mar 12th @ Vancouver office.
Same story, waiting for the check to complete. All we can do is wait. No need to get frustrated. Let's just hope it comes soon! good to all of us who are still waiting

muk5477

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
I PASSED MY TEST ON MARCH 6
I ph on help linee on Wednesday evening.
Luckily I got very nice agent on ph she help me a lot.
First she said my background check and is pressed and she.asked me did you passed the knowledge test I said yes she said my officers did not update my test .then she email my local office .for updates

Let's see know

lynnshi

Apr 20, 2018
Passed the test Mar 12th @ Vancouver office.
Same story, waiting for the check to complete. All we can do is wait. No need to get frustrated. Let's just hope it comes soon! good to all of us who are still waiting
I have my interview done in April at Vancouver location too. I was told the background check would take about 5-8months, could be less than that... My ECAS only updated up to "in process", not even show when they sent me test/interview invitation.
Any updates on your ECAS after notification of "app in process"?

Reactions: sherych

sherych

Oct 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott-Pilot Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2012
Doc's Request.
01-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-09-2012
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Request
16-08-2013
Med's Done....
22-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
3-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2013
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
I have my interview done in April at Vancouver location too. I was told the background check would take about 5-8months, could be less than that... My ECAS only updated up to "in process", not even show when they sent me test/interview invitation.
Any updates on your ECAS after notification of "app in process"?
I am also still 'in process'. The last record on ECAS is about the test invitation, which I already did in March. So now, we just wait. Hope you'll get your next bit of good news soon.

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Security clearances are likely becoming heavily backlogged owing to the record numbers of refugee claimants who are crossing irregularly into Canada from the USA (hundreds daily).

Reactions: qorax

amd87

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
I'm in the same boat. Passed my test May 30, and was told that they're still waiting on security clearance. The officer didn't tell me how long it usually takes...
Has anyone ordered their notes?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
As I have suggested and explained elsewhere, I doubt the hold up (for most applicants) is really the clearance. Odds are good that necessary clearances have been submitted and the application is in queue for a processing agent or Citizenship Officer to take the next step.

Compare: the courier records the application delivered to CPC-Sydney on a specific date, and the applicant calls the help centre within the next few weeks or even a couple months, and so far as the call centre agent can see, there is nothing to show the application is in CPC-Sydney. But it is there. It is there waiting for a processing agent to open the file and conduct the completeness check.

My strong impression is that there is a similar scenario regarding clearances. They are there. But the file is waiting for a processing agent or Officer to access it for the purpose of taking the next step in processing it. Including reviewing whatever the clearances reveal (nothing at all for the vast majority of applicants; no arrests, no convictions, no pending investigations, no prohibitions for Removal proceedings, and so on).

There are also some hints "waiting on . . . clearance" has also been employed as a stock brush-off response, a way to quickly get the applicant off the phone.

Sure, there are occasions when applicants are held up by clearances . . . especially security clearances relative to which CSIS has concerns. Almost any applicant at risk for this will have a good idea of his or her risk. These clearances can delay applications for YEARS. I have seen reports of actual cases in OFFICIAL sources where citizenship applications have been help up by clearances for as long as EIGHT years.

And, on some occasions it is possible that the call centre conversation is taking place during a window in time where there is indeed a referral for a clearance not yet submitted by RCMP or CSIS . . . but for the vast, vast majority of applicants, among whom referrals for clearance or updates of clearances are done in batches of up to 100 applicants per request, the clearances are done and it is more likely the local office person responsible for the next step simply has not yet gotten to the file in his or her queue.

Remember, except for the unusual case, it is not as if there is any gumshoeing involved: there are some structured electronic queries made into multiple digital databases, most of the relevant databases accessed through a single query. No hits, clearance done. For the vast majority it is that simple: no hits no problems no delays. Call centre agent weak excuses aside. (In their defense it is obvious they are besieged with unnecessary are-we-there-yet inquires while they too are well aware of scores of clients with important questions having difficulty getting through on phone lines clogged with an inordinate volume of frivolous calls.)

BesoBassem

Oct 11, 2017
i have diffrent case, i got my FP request before even taking exam and im still waiting , applied in October as well.

quickman

Nov 10, 2017
Took my the test back in march of 2017. Still in process till now. Im tired of waiting so long on the phone just to hear the ca centre agent say that they're still doing the security check. Its been more than a year now! Quite frustrating

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Took my the test back in march of 2017. Still in process till now. Im tired of waiting so long on the phone just to hear the ca centre agent say that they're still doing the security check. Its been more than a year now! Quite frustrating
More than a year since taking the test is . . . well, DIFFERENT.

The OP applied more than SIX months AFTER you report attending the test. Others report interview or test THIS YEAR.

Probably time to make a formal inquiry. Not merely status calls to the call centre. May be time to make the ATIP request, but doing that tends to be useful ONLY if the applicant makes a customized request, which requires doing some serious homework in order to frame what is asked for.

How you want to approach the situation depends in significant part on what you know about why you are in this situation. The variables are many.

Reactions: qorax