+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is work experience while studying counted or not?

Bangladeshi_boy

Apr 15, 2018
I am a bit confused on this issue. I've been told that work while studying is not counted for Express Entry. However, I read the opposite on the CIC website: they explicitly mention that work experience while studying is counted, provided it's for FSWP, it's foreign work and meets the other requirements.

I understand that it's not possible for Customer Experience Class or Federal Skilled Trades Program. But talking exclusively of Federal Skilled Workers Program: Can I show work that I did while simultaneously studying at university?

Here's what the FSWP requirement page states:

Student work experience

Work experience gained while you were studying may count towards your minimum requirements if the work:

• was paid by wages or commissions
  • was continuous (no gaps in employment), and
  • meets all the other requirements of the Program
Link: Foreign Skilled Worker Requirement

Also, there's another page that mentions this (more details on the page):

How student work experience affects your profile ranking

Canadian work experience gained while you were a full-time student doesn’t count towards the score used to rank your profile.

The work experience gained as a full-time student outside Canada counts towards the score used to rank your profile.

---

So am I good to assume that work experience while studying is counted for Foreign Skilled Worker, provided that it's done outside Canada and meets the other requirements (it's paid, continuous, skilled, etc)?

Last edited: