+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is work experience gained on OCWP valid under CEC after graduation?

Pari_sharma

Aug 11, 2019
Hi all

I started working on 19th June,2017 under NOC 2173 as a new graduate but on my OCWP (off campus work permit) after applying for my PGWP. My student/OCWP permit expired on 30th November,2017 and I was issued PGWP on 19th August,2017 for next 3 years.

My situation is as follows:
I created my EE profile on 21st June,2019( as I made an assumption of completing 2 yrs work experience), and recieved my ITA in the June 24th, 2019 draw under CEC. Going through different threads in the forum made me realize that the assumption I made at first place was probably wrong. I should have only accounted for 2 years of work experience starting the day I received my PGWP(19th August).

I would really appreciate if someone can provide me clarity towards the start date from when I shall start counting my work experience; 19th June,2017 or 19th August,2017 to be considered under CEC?

In short : does full time work experience gained on OCWP (after finsihing university and applying for PGWP) counts under CEC? If so, what explanation do I need to attach with my PR application?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If you started working after graduating, and you applied for your PGWP before your Study Permit expired, then you can use the experience gained from 19th June. You can't count experience gained while still studying full-time, but if your course was over, then you can.

So yes, you should be able to count your experience from 17th June, 2017

Reactions: Pari_sharma

Pari_sharma

Aug 11, 2019
Thanks for a fast response! And, yes I only applied for PGWP after my graduation meaning I wasn't enrolled in any student program afterwards.

Do I need to explicitly call out this work experience that I gained on OCWP until I received PGWP on my application by giving a letter of explanation to the CIC folks? If so, would my graduation date on transcript and acknowledge letter that I recieved from CIC after applying for PGWP act as supporting documents?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks for a fast response! And, yes I only applied for PGWP after my graduation meaning I wasn't enrolled in any student program afterwards.

Do I need to explicitly call this experience out on my application by giving a letter of explanation to the CIC folks? If so, would my graduation date on transcript and acknowledge letter that I recieved from CIC after applying for PGWP act as supporting documents?
No, you don't have to explain it. You worked legitimately, so there's no real need to explain it. You can if you like, but you don't have to.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I started working on 19th June,2017 under NOC 2173 as a new graduate but on my OCWP (off campus work permit) after applying for my PGWP. My student/OCWP permit expired on 30th November,2017 and I was issued PGWP on 19th August,2017 for next 3 years.

Actually, the key date is the day you applied for your PGWP. That is the date from which you were authorized to work.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

In short : does full time work experience gained on OCWP (after finsihing university and applying for PGWP) counts under CEC?

You were authorized to work, but you should stop thinking of it as working on your study permit. You were expressedly authorized to work on the basis of having submitted the PGWP application. Further, your study permit automatically expires when you complete your program. Currently, it is 3 months after you complete your program (but you must stop working as soon as you receive this notification), but in 2017, it was instantly upon receiving written notification of completion.

Pari_sharma

Aug 11, 2019
Thankyou so much @jes_ON for your response. But today when I called CIC, the agent told me only the work experience after acquiring the PGWP counts towards CEC. Now I am very confused as to how I may proceed.
Also, as of today 19th August, 2019 I officially complete 2 years of work with PGWP in hand.

In this situation what shall I do? Shall I decline the invite and wait for the next draw? Shall I completely withdraw my profile after declining the invite? Would these things affect my application in future?

Thanks for the guidance once again.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thankyou so much @jes_ON for your response. But today when I called CIC, the agent told me only the work experience after acquiring the PGWP counts towards CEC. Now I am very confused as to how I may proceed.

It is common for call centre agents to give incorrect info about program requirements. This info IS on the IRCC website:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/after-you-apply.html

"4. After you apply
Working while we process your application
You can work full-time until we make a decision on your work permit application if you:

• had a valid study permit when you submitted your application
  • completed your study program
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a work permit while studying and you didn’t work more hours than you were allowed to
If these don’t apply to you, you must wait until your work permit arrives to begin your new job. It’s illegal to work in Canada without a permit."

SInce it is very clear you were authorized to work after you applied for you PGWP, and CEC´s only requirement is that the work be authorized (not on a study permit), the work counts from the date you applied for the PGWP.

Also, as of today 19th August, 2019 I officially complete 2 years of work with PGWP in hand.

In this situation what shall I do? Shall I decline the invite and wait for the next draw?
WHY? The only question at hand was when to start counting your employment, and you´ve clearly met the 1 year requirement. So, WHY would you decline?

For the 2nd year, that only matters for points (not eligibility), and as long as you submit your eAPR after you complete the 2nd year, it will count. (eligibility criteria must be met at the time of the ITA, but CRS points are proven as of the date the eAPR is submitted.)

Shall I completely withdraw my profile after declining the invite? Would these things affect my application in future?

WHY would you even think this? No, of course not.

Pari_sharma

Aug 11, 2019
Thankyou so much for the clarification @jes_ON. I have drafted the following letter of explanation for CIC. Would really appreciate your review:

To
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Subject: Justification for full-time work experience gained from the time Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) was applied till it got approved under Canadian Experience Class
Dear Sir/Madam,
I, ________, am writing this letter to kindly inform that I have gained my 2 months of work experience from 19th June,2017 to 19th August,2017 on the applied Post-Graduation Work Permit(PGWP) status, to be considered for Permanent Residency under the CEC program (App No. _____). I graduated from University in April,2017 as listed in my Degree as well as official transcript and applied for my PGWP on 9th June,2017 and started working at ______ on 19th June,2017 as a Software Developer. During this time I was waiting for a decision on my PGWP application, with a valid off-campus work permit which gave me authorization to work in Canada until I received my PGWP as per 186(w) referenced below. In addition to the letter of employment, I am also attaching the copy of my official transcript, student permit and application receipt from CIC when I applied for my PGWP.
Thanks and Regards,
______
The following information has been referenced from the CIC Post Graduation Work Permit validity and application website:
“Work authorization after submitting a post-graduation work permit application
Per paragraph R186(w), graduates who apply for a work permit, such as a post-graduation work permit, before the expiry of their study permit are eligible to work full time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on their application if all of the following apply:
• They are or were the holders of a valid study permit at the time of the post-graduation work permit application.
• They have completed their program of study.
• They met the requirements for working off campus without a work permit under paragraph R186(v) (that is, they were a full-time student enrolled at a DLI in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program of at least 6 months in duration that led to a degree, diploma or certificate).
They did not exceed the allowable hours of work under paragraph R186(v).”

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
To
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Subject: Justification for full-time work experience gained from the time Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) was applied till it got approved under Canadian Experience Class
Dear Sir/Madam,
I, ________, am writing this letter to kindly inform that I have gained my 2 months of work experience from 19th June,2017 to 19th August,2017 on the applied Post-Graduation Work Permit(PGWP) status, to be considered for Permanent Residency under the CEC program (App No. _____). I graduated from University in April,2017 as listed in my Degree as well as official transcript and applied for my PGWP on 9th June,2017 and started working at ______ on 19th June,2017 as a Software Developer. During this time I was waiting for a decision on my PGWP application, with a valid off-campus work permit which gave me authorization to work in Canada until I received my PGWP as per 186(w) referenced below. In addition to the letter of employment, I am also attaching the copy of my official transcript, student permit and application receipt from CIC when I applied for my PGWP.
/QUOTE]

Just delete the words in red, and then it will be OK. There is no such thing as an off-campus work permit anymore, only a study permit, and you were no longer permitted to work on your study permit once you completed your program.[/QUOTE]

valycarrolito

Aug 29, 2019
Hi all

My situation is as follows:
I created my EE profile on 21st June,2019( as I made an assumption of completing 2 yrs work experience), and recieved my ITA in the June 24th, 2019 draw under CEC. Going through different threads in the forum made me realize that the assumption I made at first place was probably wrong. I should have only accounted for 2 years of work experience starting the day I received my PGWP(19th August) filezilla uc browser rufus.

I would really appreciate if someone can provide me clarity towards the start date from when I shall start counting my work experience; 19th June,2017 or 19th August,2017 to be considered under CEC?

In short : does full time work experience gained on OCWP (after finsihing university and applying for PGWP) counts under CEC? If so, what explanation do I need to attach with my PR application?
You worked legitimately, so there's no real need to explain it. You can if you like, but you don't have to.

Last edited: