+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is wedding considered as marital status change?

wobuxihuanni

Oct 22, 2019
I submitted my application for PR earlier this year, and I claimed myself as "single"

However, I had a wedding with my husband in another country last month. But it was simply just a ceremony, and there were no legal documents, nor did we register or get a marriage license anywhere in the world.

Is that still considered as "updated marital status" and should I notify CIC about it?

I saw on their website that we must submit legal documents supporting our marriage, but since I only had a wedding with no legal documents, I don't know what to submit...

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you did not get legally married, you're not married.

If you have lived with your husband for more than a year, you're common-law.

wobuxihuanni

Oct 22, 2019
If you did not get legally married, you're not married.

If you have lived with your husband for more than a year, you're common-law.

Thanks!

I'm also thinking of sponsoring him for his PR after I get mine. I know that for spouse PR application, we need to submit evidence of our love story. Is it going to be problematic if I submit our wedding photos? Since our wedding took place prior to my PR approval and I did not notice CIC.

I saw somewhere that even if we didn't legally get married, submitting our wedding photos is not a good idea and this could potentially cause CIC to cancel my own PR.. Is that true?

I'm very confused

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thanks!

I'm also thinking of sponsoring him for his PR after I get mine. I know that for spouse PR application, we need to submit evidence of our love story. Is it going to be problematic if I submit our wedding photos? Since our wedding took place prior to my PR approval and I did not notice CIC.

I saw somewhere that even if we didn't legally get married, submitting our wedding photos is not a good idea and this could potentially cause CIC to cancel my own PR.. Is that true?

I'm very confused
You're not married.

You can't sponsor him for PR until you're married.

I wouldn't even call him your husband until you're married.

Since this wasn't a wedding, I would be cautious submitting the photos because IRCC could indeed interpret it to mean that you were married prior to your PR approval, and deny you the right to sponsor him and review your PR for misrepresentation.

Have you lived with him for more than 12 months continuously?

wobuxihuanni

Oct 22, 2019
You're not married.

You can't sponsor him for PR until you're married.

I wouldn't even call him your husband until you're married.

Since this wasn't a wedding, I would be cautious submitting the photos because IRCC could indeed interpret it to mean that you were married prior to your PR approval, and deny you the right to sponsor him and review your PR for misrepresentation.

Have you lived with him for more than 12 months continuously?
No I have not lived with him for more than 12 months.

I will actually get married to him once I get my PR approval. But I'm just concerned that submitting my wedding photos will cause problems, but I think you answered my question. Thanks!

Are there problems if the time intervals between my PR approval, our marriage registration and the submission for his PR application are too short?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Short timelines will cause your file to be reviewed more carefully. It's not really a problem, but you'll just need proof and evidence of a strong relationship.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
No I have not lived with him for more than 12 months.

I will actually get married to him once I get my PR approval. But I'm just concerned that submitting my wedding photos will cause problems, but I think you answered my question. Thanks!

Are there problems if the time intervals between my PR approval, our marriage registration and the submission for his PR application are too short?
I noticed you use the term PR approval.
Do not get married after you get your passport stamped or just getting the COPR before LANDING in Canada.
After you get the approval BUT haven't not yet landed, you are NOT officially a PR.
If you get married, and do not declare your husband, and land, then you can never sponsor him.

If you plan to get married after you become a PR, you have to do so after you are offically a PR and you have to be IN Canda to sponsor him.
So assuming that he lives in your home country, you will need to come to Canada to land, then fly back to your home country to get married, then fly back to Canda to sponsor him.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are playing with fire. Why did you have a wedding before you get PR if you don’t consider your self married and nobody else in your community or family will consider yourself married? I actually think you are considered married but are waiting until after PR to register the marriage. That is a good way for you to be banned from ever sponsoring your spouse. You should really register your marriage and add your spouse now.

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You are playing with fire. Why did you have a wedding before you get PR if you don’t consider your self married and nobody else in your community or family will consider yourself married? I actually think you are considered married but are awaiting until after PR to register the marriage. That is a good way for you to be banned from ever sponsoring your spouse. You should really register your marriage and add your spouse now.
Yeah, this is likely very true.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I submitted my application for PR earlier this year, and I claimed myself as "single"

However, I had a wedding with my husband in another country last month. But it was simply just a ceremony, and there were no legal documents, nor did we register or get a marriage license anywhere in the world.

Is that still considered as "updated marital status" and should I notify CIC about it?

I saw on their website that we must submit legal documents supporting our marriage, but since I only had a wedding with no legal documents, I don't know what to submit...
What country are you from? What is your religion?

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Did the wedding constitute a marriage in the country in which it was performed?

I.e. In the country where you had your wedding, are you considered married?

See here for a definition of what can be considered a marriage under Canadian immigration law:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/legality.html#marriageIsValid

The absence of documents may not prevent a marriage from being recognized by Canada as such.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
exactly same thing. depending on country ceremony itself can be regarded as a legal marriage for that country, even if no documents were issued. (witnesses can be used as well).
Only exception would be polygamy / polyandry in which case such marriage would not be recognized in Canada.