+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is this enough proof of a common-law relationship?

michelb86

Apr 16, 2016
Hi all,

My girlfriend (we are Dutch) has found a job in Canada at the University of Toronto, and I want to come with her under our common-law relationship and get an open work permit.

I moved in with her 3 years ago, but we never paid rent or neither had a morgage because she already paid off the house. However, what we do have is the following list, do you think this will be enough?

- A statement from the city of Amsterdam that I moved in three years ago, and she was living at the same address as well.
- A shared bank account with a letter from the bank.
- Electronic bills (in Dutch) from utilities we paid from our shared bank account and which were registered at our address.
- Shared bought properties for the household (grocery, media system)
- Electronic receipts of all our travels (including 3 with our families)
- Pictures of our relationship, put in a timeline.
- My pay slip with our address
- A shared insurance for the stuff at the house with me registered as partner (in Dutch)
- Facebook and Whatsapp chats since the start of our relationship
- 2 legalised statements from a friend and sister

Will this be enough and can you think of anything else we can give as evidence?

Most of the utilities companies do not provide the bills in English, only in Dutch. Will that be a problem (they can see our names and address), or do we need to get all the documents translated?

Besides this I have one other question: Which date do you give as the date you started the common-law partnership? We started dating in January 2012, began our relationship in April 2012, and moved in May 2013.

Many thanks in advance!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
michelb86 said:
Hi all,

My girlfriend (we are Dutch) has found a job in Canada at the University of Toronto, and I want to come with her under our common-law relationship and get an open work permit.

I moved in with her 3 years ago, but we never paid rent or neither had a morgage because she already paid off the house. However, what we do have is the following list, do you think this will be enough?

- A statement from the city of Amsterdam that I moved in three years ago, and she was living at the same address as well.
- A shared bank account with a letter from the bank.
- Electronic bills (in Dutch) from utilities we paid from our shared bank account and which were registered at our address.
- Shared bought properties for the household (grocery, media system)
- Electronic receipts of all our travels (including 3 with our families)
- Pictures of our relationship, put in a timeline.
- My pay slip with our address
- A shared insurance for the stuff at the house with me registered as partner (in Dutch)
- Facebook and Whatsapp chats since the start of our relationship
- 2 legalised statements from a friend and sister

Will this be enough and can you think of anything else we can give as evidence?

Most of the utilities companies do not provide the bills in English, only in Dutch. Will that be a problem (they can see our names and address), or do we need to get all the documents translated?

Besides this I have one other question: Which date do you give as the date you started the common-law partnership? We started dating in January 2012, began our relationship in April 2012, and moved in May 2013.

Many thanks in advance!
If you dont have a lease, provide other means to show you cohabited. the major condition for commonlaw is the 1 year together. this is what you need to provide and then you have met the basic requirements for being commonlaw. joint banks, etc show proof of a commited relationship.

bills to the same address with both your names on it are great. house insurance with both your names great. amsterdam statment sounds promising too.

you put the date when it is 1 year from the day you lived together. for example if you moved in together on januray 1st 2015, then your commonlaw relationship started january 1st 2016.

krishnalynn

May 15, 2015
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-12-2015
File Transfer...
08-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 15-04-2016
I just got approved and that's about the same amount of evidence I proved.