+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is this Certificate of Qualification usable for Express Entry?

enrique-gz

Jan 25, 2023
Hi everyone,

I received an invitation for the FSW EE program but had to decline because I did not disclose the year of experience in a previous application (study permit). And without that year, I'm not eligible for express entry anymore.
I'm still waiting to complete a year at my current workplace in order to be eligible for CEC, while I wait I would like to know for sure if my certificate of qualification counts or not. I hope you can help me answer this question.

According to IRCC https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/skilled-trades.html ''A certificate of qualification proves that a person is qualified to work in a certain skilled trade in Canada.
This means that they:have passed a certification exam meet all the requirements to practice their trade in that province or territory. This certificate is issued by the body that governs trades in a Canadian province or territory, or by a federal authority.
Depending on which body or authority issues it, this certificate may be called a “certificate of qualification” or a “qualification certificate”
And they have a list of skilled trades groups that count towards eligibility. Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

Major Group 72, technical trades and transportation officers and controllers excluding
Sub-Major Group 726, transportation officers and controllers
Major Group 73, general trades
Major Group 82, supervisors in natural resources, agriculture and related production
Major Group 83, occupations in natural resources and related production
Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors, and utilities operators and controllers
Major Group 93, central control and process operators and aircraft assembly assemblers and inspectors, excluding
Sub-Major Group 932, aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors
Minor Group 6320, cooks, butchers and bakers
Unit Group 62200, chefs

My certificate of qualification is issued by Technical Safety BC which is issued by the provincial safety manager and fits in the Major group 92. The name of the certification is Refrigeration Operator
https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/technologies/refrigeration/refrigeration-operator-certificate
I believe it fits in the Noc 92100 as it is in the indexed titles: Refrigeration Plant Operator. Please refer to the link below to verify my information. https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/NocProfile?objectid=O/OPxDDOgbc/RwNg71QxSbm5vpb0+fmJcP+qj4su9lE=
This is a list of duties:

This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Power engineers

Operate automated or computerized control systems, stationary engines and auxiliary equipment such as reactors, boilers, turbines, generators, pumps, compressors, pollution control devices and other equipment to generate electrical power and to provide light, heat, ventilation and refrigeration for buildings, industrial plants and other work sites
Start up and shut down power plant equipment, control switching operations, regulate water levels and communicate with systems operators to regulate and coordinate transmission loads, frequency and line voltages
Monitor and inspect plant equipment, computer terminals, switches, valves, gauges, alarms, meters and other instruments to measure temperature, pressure and fuel flow to detect leaks or other equipment malfunctions and to ensure plant equipment is operating at maximum efficiency
Analyze and record instrument readings and equipment malfunctions
Troubleshoot and perform corrective action and minor repairs to prevent equipment or system failure
Respond to emergency situations if required
Clean and lubricate generators, turbines, pumps and compressors and perform other routine equipment maintenance duties using appropriate lubricants and hand, power and precision tools
Maintain a daily log of operation, maintenance and safety activities, and write reports on plant operation and non-compliance
May assist in the development of operation, maintenance and safety procedures.

And this is the requirements of employment:
Employment requirements
Trade certification is available, but voluntary for power engineers in Nova Scotia. Completion of secondary school is usually required. Control room operators at nuclear power plants require licensing from the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission. Power systems operators require completion of a three- to five-year power system operator apprenticeship program or over three years of work experience in the trade and some college or industry courses in electrical and electronic technology. Power engineers require a provincial or territorial power engineering certificate according to class. There are five classes in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia while there are four classes in Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut territories. Trade certification is available, but voluntary for power systems operators in Newfoundland and Labrador. Power engineers require a college training program in power engineering and several years of work experience. An exam is mandatory to move from one class to the other.

Please let me know if I can use my certificate of qualification, as this will boost my score from 479 to 529 when I have a complete year of work experience in September.

Otherwise, who could I get in touch with to verify if my certificate is valid or not? Immigration consultants have given me mixed answers (yes/ no), IRCC agents over the phone told me "submit, maybe it will be valid, i don't know", Technical Safety BC says they are a provincial regulatory body but they don't know if that certificate will count towards Express Entry.
I left a webform for IRCC and it has not been addressed as of now (1 month).
I would greatly appreciate if anyone could pinpoint me in the right direction.
Thank you, sincerely!

Karandi

Apr 25, 2023
Edmonton Alberta
Category........
Other
Hi everyone,

I received an invitation for the FSW EE program but had to decline because I did not disclose the year of experience in a previous application (study permit). And without that year, I'm not eligible for express entry anymore.
I'm still waiting to complete a year at my current workplace in order to be eligible for CEC, while I wait I would like to know for sure if my certificate of qualification counts or not. I hope you can help me answer this question.

According to IRCC https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/skilled-trades.html ''A certificate of qualification proves that a person is qualified to work in a certain skilled trade in Canada.
This means that they:have passed a certification exam meet all the requirements to practice their trade in that province or territory. This certificate is issued by the body that governs trades in a Canadian province or territory, or by a federal authority.
Depending on which body or authority issues it, this certificate may be called a “certificate of qualification” or a “qualification certificate”
And they have a list of skilled trades groups that count towards eligibility. Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

Major Group 72, technical trades and transportation officers and controllers excluding
Sub-Major Group 726, transportation officers and controllers
Major Group 73, general trades
Major Group 82, supervisors in natural resources, agriculture and related production
Major Group 83, occupations in natural resources and related production
Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors, and utilities operators and controllers
Major Group 93, central control and process operators and aircraft assembly assemblers and inspectors, excluding
Sub-Major Group 932, aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors
Minor Group 6320, cooks, butchers and bakers
Unit Group 62200, chefs

My certificate of qualification is issued by Technical Safety BC which is issued by the provincial safety manager and fits in the Major group 92. The name of the certification is Refrigeration Operator
https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/technologies/refrigeration/refrigeration-operator-certificate
I believe it fits in the Noc 92100 as it is in the indexed titles: Refrigeration Plant Operator. Please refer to the link below to verify my information. https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/NocProfile?objectid=O/OPxDDOgbc/RwNg71QxSbm5vpb0+fmJcP+qj4su9lE=
This is a list of duties:

This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Power engineers

Operate automated or computerized control systems, stationary engines and auxiliary equipment such as reactors, boilers, turbines, generators, pumps, compressors, pollution control devices and other equipment to generate electrical power and to provide light, heat, ventilation and refrigeration for buildings, industrial plants and other work sites
Start up and shut down power plant equipment, control switching operations, regulate water levels and communicate with systems operators to regulate and coordinate transmission loads, frequency and line voltages
Monitor and inspect plant equipment, computer terminals, switches, valves, gauges, alarms, meters and other instruments to measure temperature, pressure and fuel flow to detect leaks or other equipment malfunctions and to ensure plant equipment is operating at maximum efficiency
Analyze and record instrument readings and equipment malfunctions
Troubleshoot and perform corrective action and minor repairs to prevent equipment or system failure
Respond to emergency situations if required
Clean and lubricate generators, turbines, pumps and compressors and perform other routine equipment maintenance duties using appropriate lubricants and hand, power and precision tools
Maintain a daily log of operation, maintenance and safety activities, and write reports on plant operation and non-compliance
May assist in the development of operation, maintenance and safety procedures.

And this is the requirements of employment:
Employment requirements
Trade certification is available, but voluntary for power engineers in Nova Scotia. Completion of secondary school is usually required. Control room operators at nuclear power plants require licensing from the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission. Power systems operators require completion of a three- to five-year power system operator apprenticeship program or over three years of work experience in the trade and some college or industry courses in electrical and electronic technology. Power engineers require a provincial or territorial power engineering certificate according to class. There are five classes in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia while there are four classes in Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut territories. Trade certification is available, but voluntary for power systems operators in Newfoundland and Labrador. Power engineers require a college training program in power engineering and several years of work experience. An exam is mandatory to move from one class to the other.

Please let me know if I can use my certificate of qualification, as this will boost my score from 479 to 529 when I have a complete year of work experience in September.

Otherwise, who could I get in touch with to verify if my certificate is valid or not? Immigration consultants have given me mixed answers (yes/ no), IRCC agents over the phone told me "submit, maybe it will be valid, i don't know", Technical Safety BC says they are a provincial regulatory body but they don't know if that certificate will count towards Express Entry.
I left a webform for IRCC and it has not been addressed as of now (1 month).
I would greatly appreciate if anyone could pinpoint me in the right direction.
Thank you, sincerely!
Hi Enrique-gz,

It seems like you've done thorough research on your situation. While I'm not an immigration consultant or lawyer, I can offer some guidance based on the information you've provided.

Your Certificate of Qualification in Refrigeration Operator might indeed count towards your Express Entry application, considering that it's issued by a provincial regulatory body and falls under Major Group 92 of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). However, as you mentioned, you've received mixed answers from different sources.

Since the situation is not clear-cut, I would recommend consulting with a reputable immigration lawyer or a regulated Canadian immigration consultant (RCIC) who specializes in Express Entry cases. They should be able to offer more in-depth guidance on whether your certificate will count towards your application, and if so, how to properly include it in your application.

Additionally, you can try contacting IRCC again via their webform or phone number, specifying your concerns and providing details about your certificate. It's possible that a different agent might be able to offer more clarity on your situation.