+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is this a good plan to immigrate to Canada as an international student?

WakeUpp

Aug 27, 2023
Hi to all. I will give a little bit of background about my situation. I was blessed to train and study to become a pilot in the US at an early age and got a good amount of flight hours experience with a legal work permit there. Fast forward to now I’m 22 back at my home country in SouthAmerica but not happy with my country’s situation in the aviation field so I’m looking to immigrate to Canada for more and better opportunities.

My plan is the following:

Go study a two year program in a field that I like (probably Business related) but not aviation related (since I read that the PGWP is an open work permit, unlike work permits for international students in the US)

Get a PGWP and work as a pilot in any Canadian company since with the flight experience that I have I believe I will be a competitive candidate

And hopefully get a permanent residency.

I have the following questions:

1.- I understand that there’s a point system and the more points you have the chances of getting a PR are higher. Will the two year program + the Canadian work experience provide enough points to have a good chance of becoming a PR?

2.- I heard that if for example you study in Alberta and work in other province that will a negative impact when applying for a PR! is that true??

Thank you all! I’m open to any suggestion! Thank you!

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hi to all. I will give a little bit of background about my situation. I was blessed to train and study to become a pilot in the US at an early age and got a good amount of flight hours experience with a legal work permit there. Fast forward to now I’m 22 back at my home country in SouthAmerica but not happy with my country’s situation in the aviation field so I’m looking to immigrate to Canada for more and better opportunities.

Go study a two year program in a field that I like (probably Business related) but not aviation related (since I read that the PGWP is an open work permit, unlike work permits for international students in the US)

Get a PGWP and work as a pilot in any Canadian company since with the flight experience that I have I believe I will be a competitive candidate

1.- I understand that there’s a point system and the more points you have the chances of getting a PR are higher. Will the two year program + the Canadian work experience provide enough points to have a good chance of becoming a PR?

2.- I heard that if for example you study in Alberta and work in other province that will a negative impact when applying for a PR! is that true??

How many flight hours have you logged so far? Multi-engine and instrument rated? CPL?

There is a "shortage" of pilots, but you may not find the industry attractive. See this news article:

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/business/2023/2/6/1_6261503.amp.html

WakeUpp

Aug 27, 2023
Thank you for answering.

I have around 1200 hrs. I hold an FAA CPL Single & Multi with IFR. Also I hold 3 Flight Instructor licenses. While studying I plan to convert them to Canadian since I don’t need to fly, just do paperwork and a computer test.
I completely agree with the “Pilot Shortage” thing, but in Canada there are way way more opportunities than in SouthAmerica. Also because of the “Shortage” I would like to study in a field different from the aviation one.

How many flight hours have you logged so far? Multi-engine and instrument rated? CPL?

There is a "shortage" of pilots, but you may not find the industry attractive. See this news article:

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/business/2023/2/6/1_6261503.amp.html

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Thank you for answering.

I have around 1200 hrs. I hold an FAA CPL Single & Multi with IFR. Also I hold 3 Flight Instructor licenses. While studying I plan to convert them to Canadian since I don’t need to fly, just do paperwork and a computer test.
I completely agree with the “Pilot Shortage” thing, but in Canada there are way way more opportunities than in SouthAmerica. Also because of the “Shortage” I would like to study in a field different from the aviation one.
Would suggest to reach out to local Canadian airlines, maybe you can get a position as co-pilot for domestic flights. Try to search Canada's job bank and see if any LMIA posts for pilots or instructors.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

The studies you plan to take in Canada should be related to your previous education and work experience (i.e. aviation). Otherwise you may struggle to get the study permit approved.

Yes, many of Canada's immigration programs are points-based. A two year program in Canada + Canadian work experience does not necessarily mean you have a good chance of being selected for PR. There are a number of other factors in play including your language abilities (i.e. extra points if you know French), your level of education (having a Master's or PhD will give you the highest chance of qualifying), and other factors.