+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there some notification fropm CIC when applying for Visitor visa extension?

SeoulSearcher

Feb 11, 2016
Hello

I sent my wife's application for extension of her visitor visa about a week ago to the processing center in Vegreville. I am in Calgary, so the letter shouldnt take more than a few days to get there. I have not received any verification that they have received the application. How will I know that they have it and that they started to process it? It is of course impossible to ask anyone at CIC any question.

Thank you

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
no, they do not send acknowledgements for visa extensions. she may be able to see the progress through MYCIC if she can link her application. otherwise, i believe people receive notification when a decision has been made and no other notifications are sent otherwise.

SeoulSearcher

Feb 11, 2016
So how are we supposed to know that her application was received, or granted, and that she doesn't have to leave the country when her initial 6 months is up?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
SeoulSearcher said:
So how are we supposed to know that her application was received, or granted, and that she doesn't have to leave the country when her initial 6 months is up?
submitting the extension application gives her "implied status" until a decision is made. this means she can stay in canada until she receives notification on the decision. she will be informed either way. if it is granted, she will receive a record of the extension. if it is rejected and the decision is received after her current visit expires, she will need to leave immediately.

As suggested above, she can try to connect her application to her MyCIC account. There may also be an application tracker link on the IRCC website.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SeoulSearcher said:
To know the app was received, you should have sent it by courier or applied online.

SeoulSearcher

Feb 11, 2016
Thats a little bit ridiculous. I used Canada Post, which I assume to be dependable. There should be some transparency, a recurring problem with these people. An automated message would be easy to send. In any case, can I re-submit the application with all the documents and an explanatory note, on-line?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
SeoulSearcher said:
Thats a little bit ridiculous. I used Canada Post, which I assume to be dependable. There should be some transparency, a recurring problem with these people. An automated message would be easy to send. In any case, can I re-submit the application with all the documents and an explanatory note, on-line?
that wouldn't be recommended IMO. i think that would cause confusion and perhaps a rejection. you are best to just wait it out. she will receive notification soon enough.

SeoulSearcher

Feb 11, 2016
What if the application wasn't received? She has a US visa, so if worst comes to worst, can we simply drive to the US and re-enter the country to renew her visitor visa?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
SeoulSearcher said:
What if the application wasn't received? She has a US visa, so if worst comes to worst, can we simply drive to the US and re-enter the country to renew her visitor visa?
it's only been a week. when does her current visitor visa expire?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
i'm assuming it's too early to know whether the application has been opened for processing yet. my recommendation would be to wait until 3 weeks have passed since you sent it and do all or some of the following:

- have your wife check her MyCIC and ECAS to see if the application is listed there, or attempt to connect it to MyCIC.
- have your wife call the call centre to see if they can locate the application on their end (they may not be able to give any information until the normal processing time has passed)
- send an enquiry as instructed on the visitor visa extension page on the IRCC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

also, looking at the timeline on the website linked above, it is currently taking 118 days to process paper applications. Again, your wife has implied status until she receives a decision and does not need to worry about leaving until that decision is sent to her. she will receive notification at some point from IRCC, so all that can be done right now is wait it out.