+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there duty on importing goods?

zinneken

Aug 6, 2013
Are the items which I already own and wish to import shortly after I become a permanent resident from living abroad subject to duty? I mean clothing, books, cd's, furniture, washing machine, etc. which I have owned for some considerable time, and which I will have shipped to me shortly after becoming landed permanent resident.

If duty is payable on these items, how is it calculated and when is it due?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

zinneken said:
Are the items which I already own and wish to import shortly after I become a permanent resident from living abroad subject to duty? I mean clothing, books, cd's, furniture, washing machine, etc. which I have owned for some considerable time, and which I will have shipped to me shortly after becoming landed permanent resident.

If duty is payable on these items, how is it calculated and when is it due?
No, there is no duty taxes on settlers effects once you are "landed" as long as you owned them and used them prior to "landing". You should have completed a goods to follow list prior to "landing"

zinneken

Aug 6, 2013
Great! so we can put a list together showing the correct values rather then lower the values to limit import duty :)

asparksy

Jun 17, 2012
Just make sure to put them on the List of Goods to Follow...it's a pain to deal with at the border, but trust me, it's a huge hassle if you want to import something afterward if you forgot to put it on the list...