+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there any way to bring wife to canada

naumanayubi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Hello all,
I Want to know is there any way to bring your wife in Canada aswell while you are on study permit . Do I have to apply visitor visa or any other visa I can apply for her. Like is there any other visa I can apply and she can work too.
and if Visitor visa is only option what are the chances for that.
Thanks

naumanayubi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
WOOWWW That's Great . I didn't know that .
This forum is made so we can get quick and exact answer or exact link.
If you can't help anyone stay out of post dude.
Thanks
yyzstudent said:
www.cic.gc.ca has all the answers.

enywmara

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Dhaka
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
25-05-2022
AOR Received.
07-07-2022
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-12-2021
Interview........
Not needed
naumanayubi said:
Hello all,
I Want to know is there any way to bring your wife in Canada aswell while you are on study permit . Do I have to apply visitor visa or any other visa I can apply for her. Like is there any other visa I can apply and she can work too.
Thanks
Dear naumanayubi,

It All depends on how long you are going to stay in Canada for and what your visa type is. For Arguments sake I am presuming you are talking about a study permit and since you have a wife, you might be of age to study postgraduate. With those assumption I would say:-

Yes you can bring your wife to canada with you to study. The visa type will be dependent. If you are a first time applicant then you have two choices:-
1. You can choose to apply for her dependent visa at the same time as your study visa.
2. You can choose to apply for her dependent visa after you get your study visa.

Choose option 1 if you are going to study on a very good scholarship with full funding. That way there is lower risk of getting rejected on the study permit on account of "weak ties to the home country". I am NOT saying that you MUST choose option 1 only when you have a full scholarship as there are many past and present members who have chosen option 1 even if they have not received any scholarship/funding at all. However, please remember that it is in my opinion comparatively harder to get a study permit when compared to Express Entry.

Choose option 2 when you want the lowest risk of rejection. As then you can write in your SOP that you have your wife in your home country and have strong ties. But please remember if you choose option 2 then you need to apply really really early, like 4-5 months early. That way, you will have enough time to get your visa and apply for your wife's visa after your visa receipt and also get her visa on time to fly together :)

Lastly for both options you need to show an extra $4000 (CAD) for living expenses of each dependent. Also the dependent usually gets an open work permit, which means that she can work as many hours and at any job she likes. This is of course with the presumption that your course is more than 12 months.

Also please note that, study permit, dependent visa, tourist visa, some parent and grandparent super visa's all are "VISITOR" visa's in terms of Canadian Immigration authority. Its just that they have different conditions of applying and stay in Canada.

If your wife only says that she wants to come to Canada to see you then she is on a tourist visa presumably. If you apply for her as your dependent, then she is on a dependent visa.

Hope this helps.

enywmara

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Dhaka
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
25-05-2022
AOR Received.
07-07-2022
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-12-2021
Interview........
Not needed
docsazm said:
What do u mean by dependent visa?
Any specific form for dependent visa
Lol, This is a tricky question you have asked. Normally what happens is when a student applies, he/she would fill up a (IMM 5645 or 5707) Family information form. in that they specifically state that which family members are accompanying them.

After that, its only a case of the spouse filling up the application for temporary residence form (IMM 5257).

This is the case when the spouse and student both apply together. Which is the most straight forward route. However, you fall into the risk of weaker ties to home country.

But if you decide not to show that your wife is going with you to Canada, then its a totally different ball game. Your wife will have to apply to "visit" you or you will have to fill up a change is circumstances. Because, as far as I know, international students cannot sponsor their spouses.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
naumanayubi said:
WOOWWW That's Great . I didn't know that .
This forum is made so we can get quick and exact answer or exact link.
If you can't help anyone stay out of post dude.
Thanks
A lot of questions are repeatedly asked and answered. The forum has a search engine and cic has all, I repeat all, the info you need. When you're here studying, you will find that there are no quick and easy links to anything. You will have to do everything yourself. Therefore, get in to the habit to do as much research of your own now. Not only will it help you in the future but it is also respecting those of us here who try and help, by showing you have done an effort.

Also, never ever assume the gender of the person responding. You could be horribly wrong.

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
naumanayubi said:
Hello all,
Thanks
Your wife can get an open work permit if you will be a full-time student at a designated institution, such as public college or university. If you give me more details I can help more.

naumanayubi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
First of all I am already in Canada from past 3 years ( SO DONT ASSUME I AM NOT IN CANADA U CAN BE HORRIBLY WRONG).
2nd thing I know I can find the answer of my question by researching but I don't have time for that . I takes some time and this forum is exactly for this purpose. ASK a question here if someone know answer before he/she can answer and u save your time and effort.
And I agree I don't have to assume by myself so that's why we don't have to make xyz idss or fake idz. People should use their name instead and real email id :)
Thanks anyway

yyzstudent said:
A lot of questions are repeatedly asked and answered. The forum has a search engine and cic has all, I repeat all, the info you need. When you're here studying, you will find that there are no quick and easy links to anything. You will have to do everything yourself. Therefore, get in to the habit to do as much research of your own now. Not only will it help you in the future but it is also respecting those of us here who try and help, by showing you have done an effort.

Also, never ever assume the gender of the person responding. You could be horribly wrong.

naumanayubi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Great :)
I have one more Question . What About Lmia . if I have close Work Permit (LMIA) can I still call my wife here ?
enywmara said:
Dear naumanayubi,

It All depends on how long you are going to stay in Canada for and what your visa type is. For Arguments sake I am presuming you are talking about a study permit and since you have a wife, you might be of age to study postgraduate. With those assumption I would say:-

Yes you can bring your wife to canada with you to study. The visa type will be dependent. If you are a first time applicant then you have two choices:-
1. You can choose to apply for her dependent visa at the same time as your study visa.
2. You can choose to apply for her dependent visa after you get your study visa.

Choose option 1 if you are going to study on a very good scholarship with full funding. That way there is lower risk of getting rejected on the study permit on account of "weak ties to the home country". I am NOT saying that you MUST choose option 1 only when you have a full scholarship as there are many past and present members who have chosen option 1 even if they have not received any scholarship/funding at all. However, please remember that it is in my opinion comparatively harder to get a study permit when compared to Express Entry.

Choose option 2 when you want the lowest risk of rejection. As then you can write in your SOP that you have your wife in your home country and have strong ties. But please remember if you choose option 2 then you need to apply really really early, like 4-5 months early. That way, you will have enough time to get your visa and apply for your wife's visa after your visa receipt and also get her visa on time to fly together :)

Lastly for both options you need to show an extra $4000 (CAD) for living expenses of each dependent. Also the dependent usually gets an open work permit, which means that she can work as many hours and at any job she likes. This is of course with the presumption that your course is more than 12 months.

Also please note that, study permit, dependent visa, tourist visa, some parent and grandparent super visa's all are "VISITOR" visa's in terms of Canadian Immigration authority. Its just that they have different conditions of applying and stay in Canada.

If your wife only says that she wants to come to Canada to see you then she is on a tourist visa presumably. If you apply for her as your dependent, then she is on a dependent visa.

Hope this helps.

naumanayubi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
That's actually assumption . I am not a student right now . I was looking for a course but just want to confirm wheatear I am eligible or not. I am already in Canada . I got answer regarding student . CAn u answer 1 quick Question . If I got close Work permit (LMIA) which I probly will get soon . I am able to call my wife here ? and If yes on which basis.

neorol said:
Your wife can get an open work permit if you will be a full-time student at a designated institution, such as public college or university. If you give me more details I can help more.

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
naumanayubi said:
That's actually assumption . I am not a student right now . I was looking for a course but just want to confirm wheatear I am eligible or not. I am already in Canada . I got answer regarding student . CAn u answer 1 quick Question . If I got close Work permit (LMIA) which I probly will get soon . I am able to call my wife here ? and If yes on which basis.
In Canada if you work full-time as a skilled worker (Noc category A,B or 0) and it's an employment your spouse is eligible for open work permit for the duration of your visa. It's Called C41 exemption. C42 exemption applies to spouses of full-time students. If you didn't include her already in your VISA application she can apply separately as you get your work permit. Another option is applying for it at the border when she enters Canada. She has to collect all the required documents (proof of marriage, your permit, maybe letter from your emplyer etc... ). In this case she might need a visitor visa if she is not from a visa exempt country. (I'm not sure, my wife is from one of those countries and she didn't need it)

Check this out.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp

naumanayubi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Thanks for your help :)
neorol said:
In Canada if you work full-time as a skilled worker (Noc category A,B or 0) and it's an employment your spouse is eligible for open work permit for the duration of your visa. It's Called C41 exemption. C42 exemption applies to spouses of full-time students. If you didn't include her already in your VISA application she can apply separately as you get your work permit. Another option is applying for it at the border when she enters Canada. She has to collect all the required documents (proof of marriage, your permit, maybe letter from your emplyer etc... ). In this case she might need a visitor visa if she is not from a visa exempt country. (I'm not sure, my wife is from one of those countries and she didn't need it)

Check this out.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp