+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is there AnY way to be removed as a co signer

k21

Jul 1, 2014
I co signed to aid my at the time childs fathers mother. The intent was once she was here we would get married. ..YUP fell for it. She arrived 2007 September and 2yrs weeks in she started threatening me to take my property was mentally abusive...physically attempted to fight me in public (police reports to prove) and best of all was emotionally abusive to my daughter. ..her grand daughter. She was NEVER like this prior to her arrival but 2yrs weeks in she showed a different side. Things got emotionally unbearable as my daughter was also under 16 and the family service act states you MUST keep your child sge from neglect abuse etc. I move out of my home fearing my safety anf trying to keep peace with my partner. Time continued and she she moved out December. And, to be left with an email Jan 1. My partner moved out of thr country. She is still here and purpoelyn went on welfare to get back at me stating by law I have to take care of her. Hr doesnt even give me child support anf im left to pay a bill for his mom. His address with immigration is a mailbox....I haven't seen his mom since 2007....all I get is bills to pay back welfare. Shes an able bodied 56yr old women who made it clear shes going to ruin me. My dauggter has been going to counselling ever since..im a financial turmoil and mentally drained. You can get out of an ABUSIVE relationship. ..divorce etc...but this is going on years and I need help....my child is affected by my inability to provide even for her yet I have to take careof someone eelse's parent....on top of that she has made attempt to sponsor her supposed husband that apparently over stated his visa to the USA anf she wants him to come to Canada. ....and last week gwt a call her son...MY EX is in trouble with the law....i needdded HELPP0PPĹLLLLLL im a Canadian citizen and this women appears to have all the rights. I have called ombudsmen (federal) jurisdictions....police reports and watching my daughter suffer for the government NOT holding HER biological child accountable for his mother...im going crazy....I need help ANYONE PLZ ADVISE ME...my daughter has seperation anxiety worries of our safety and shouldn't have to live like this. Im scared but cant or do I show it....PLZZZZZZZ SOMEONE...I cant do this anymore and need guidance direction and peace of mind for my daughter and I. If Canada is ok with having someone like this in their country that doesn't even respect the laws..expectations and privileges of being Canadian then they need to help me and all I get is you co signed. This was allll a scam and I was supposedly gettn married. Evidently a dream that was a FAMILY ploy to get me to assist. This is in now learning thoroughly a family were FRAUD seems to be their consistent amo

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately there is likely no way to be removed or withdrawn as a co-signer because what you signed was a legally binding agreement and by doing so you agreed to take on the responsibility of financially supporting the applicant for a period of 10 years. Most likely you will have to continue to be financially for any welfare she receives until 2017 (10 years from the time she landed and became a PR).

Having said that, if you feel you have very strong evidence to prove immigration fraud was committed, you can report this information to CBSA here and ask them to take action:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/protection/fraud/report.asp

Good luck. I hope something works out for you.

Patience09

Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 06 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 06 2014
File Transfer...
Jan 13 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 18 2013
Wow, I'm really sad to hear this turn of events for you. It must be very difficult for you and your daughter. Please hang in there and I hope you can get some advice from someone.

This story made me wonder if the partner was still in Canada or returns to Canada, would the OP be able to sue him in civil court to at least pay for half of the bills the mother in law is racking up? I mean, it is his mother. I guess for parents sponsorship, the sponsor and co-signer have exactly the same responsibility? I always wondered about that.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Patience09 said:
I guess for parents sponsorship, the sponsor and co-signer have exactly the same responsibility? I always wondered about that.
Unfortunately yes. It means they both take responsibility. And since the sponsor is a deadbeat who provides nothing, all financial burden is coming down on the co-signer. Terrible for the OP... she is a victim.

People, PLEASE pay attention to any legal documents you sign and think carefully... this includes marriage too!!!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
On the 'up' side of the OP's issue, if there is an upside, the 'mother' will be unable to sponsor her spouse to move to Canada if she is on welfare so that would mean she would need to get off of welfare which will provide some relief to the OP. Not much of a consolation prize, but it's better than nothing.

You should be aware of what your responsibilities are before you sign any paperwork especially when it means you can be on the hook for the costs incurred.

Patience09

Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 06 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 06 2014
File Transfer...
Jan 13 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 18 2013
keesio said:
Unfortunately yes. It means they both take responsibility. And since the sponsor is a deadbeat who provides nothing, all financial burden is coming down on the co-signer. Terrible for the OP... she is a victim.

People, PLEASE pay attention to any legal documents you sign and think carefully... this includes marriage too!!!

Well that is really sad for her, as it seems that everyone changed for the worse. What would happen if neither of them paid? I know that the would not be able to sponsor in the future, but legally, what could happen? Does the government then garnish wages etc or they get black listed or something?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Patience09 said:
Well that is really sad for her, as it seems that everyone changed for the worse. What would happen if neither of them paid? I know that the would not be able to sponsor in the future, but legally, what could happen? Does the government then garnish wages etc or they get black listed or something?
Then we (the taxplayers) are on the hook since the government can't recoup the welfare expenses from anyone. At least for the short term. I guess eventually the sponsor and co-signer will have to pay it back if they ever make any money. And I assume it is a crime to try to withhold payment.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
The assumption here is that there is a way for the gov't to recoup the costs either via wage garnishment, withholding of tax refunds so on and so forth. If there were not, what would the point of requiring a signature as a co-signer? It must be very similar to signing a loan document only difference being you don't have to pay anything if they don't issue any funds.

Patience09

Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 06 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 06 2014
File Transfer...
Jan 13 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 18 2013
Alurra71 said:
The assumption here is that there is a way for the gov't to recoup the costs either via wage garnishment, withholding of tax refunds so on and so forth. If there were not, what would the point of requiring a signature as a co-signer? It must be very similar to signing a loan document only difference being you don't have to pay anything if they don't issue any funds.
I guess that the ex husband got off scott free since he left the country as none of those methods would apply to him. Maybe if he decides to come back in the future or files for taxes

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately people sometimes don't understand the significance of what they are signing when they agree to sponsor or be a co-sponsor. This signature should not be taken lightly. You are agreeing to a legal obligation to financially support someone and you will be held to that obligation. I really sympathize with the OP. I think this situation sucks. However I don't think the OP is going to be allowed out of this obligation - specially since 7 years have passed since the sponsored individual landed.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Patience09 said:
I guess that the ex husband got off scott free since he left the country as none of those methods would apply to him. Maybe if he decides to come back in the future or files for taxes
Exactly. That is probably why he bailed in the first place, to get away from the responsibility and get his ex-gf to pick up the tab. And if she is paying back the govt, then when he comes back, he doesn't have to pay off anything since she already did it. What a slimeball.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Patience09 said:
It would appear as though the OP's ex was not a citizen of this country to begin with so I have to wonder, did she sponsor him to come live here first and then his mother followed or how the mother came to be in the 'sponsorship' category. I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter because it is in the past and there is nothing she can do about it but her tale COULD serve as a cautionary tale for those who might be in this type of a situation now.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
scylla said:
Unfortunately people sometimes don't understand the significance of what they are signing when they agree to sponsor or be a co-sponsor. This signature should not be taken lightly. You are agreeing to a legal obligation to financially support someone and you will be held to that obligation. I really sympathize with the OP. I think this situation sucks. However I don't think the OP is going to be allowed out of this obligation - specially since 7 years have passed since the sponsored individual landed.
This is a lesson for not just being a co-signer but for any sponsor who is sponsoring someone family class whether parent or wife or other.

k21

Jul 1, 2014
Thank you alllllll for your replies. ...He is a Canadian Citizen and we were engaged. ...my daughter and I were both physically and emotionally abused...BUT I guess in thr systems eyes im suppose to endure this l. I am a working class individual and worst off agree his mom should not be gettn welfare NOR should tax payers including myself have ro be responsible. Its sad under thr immigration act she can seek refugee under the law and yet im the one enduring thr abuse I even filed police reports....trust me ive gone through major depression and days when I cant even provide for her......im just dumb founded that I have to endure this for 30th more years yet someone can divorce for abuse etc and I have to gp through his. I was with this man for YEARS high school sweetheart and who would have thought....his mom amd I were friends for years prior to but I feel now this was all set a way to plot her xoming to canada. Shes even made threats if it wasn't Canada she wpuld have me dead by now....but that info I hacked her email so I was told I can not use thst....I live in fear and say Thank you Canada for assisting worhless ppl to take advantage of the system and me being the victim of ongoing abuse
..then we wonder why young ppl My daughtr is emotionally a wreck