15-11-2015
AOR Received.
29-08-2015
IELTS Request
7.5 band
Med's Done....
20-08-2015
Rossei said:
You never know where you will settle down in future, especially in Canada as it's a huge country. Anyway, I'm no expert in Oil & Gas; but can tell you this that M.Eng isn't acknowledged as well as M.A.Sc/M.Sc rather it's just an extension of Bachelors. Since it's technical field; you will have to prove how much real-time experience you gathered. Well, I don't know about you; but if you are fresh grad then you should be looking for co-op opportunities in those companies during your M.Eng program.
u mean B.E. / B.A. / B.Sc is considered your main degree in canada?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
m_m_h said:
well i have 3.5 years of working experiance in oil & gas production setup. and as far as I know generally MSc is a masters program based on theory while MEng is based on research. atleast thats true for some parts of the world . . . but certainly will try to look for opportunities as early as possible . . .
I don't know about rest of the world. But in Canada, M.Eng. is totally course-based. You don't do research under any professor. You enrol into the program and complete courses as required (like Bachelors). Courses may involve projects and all.

On the contrary, as Bachelors in Engineering is generally a B.A.Sc. (Bachelor of Applied Science) degree in Canada, M.A.Sc. is normally regarded the regular masters program for engineering students. As you proceed, you get involved in various research work under a supervisor/professor, he also pays you for your RA-ship, you may get GA-ship (Graduate Assistant) and also complete few courses.

m_m_h

Star Member
Oct 26, 2011
Calgary - Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-06-2015
Nomination.....
15-11-2015
AOR Received.
29-08-2015
IELTS Request
7.5 band
Med's Done....
20-08-2015
well my acceptance letter clearly mentions proposed research topics :) . . . btw I would also be required to go through course work as required and same is also the case with any research based MS. . . :) also i have a renouned prof as my supervisor . . . and he also offers RA-ship . :)

anyways just hoping this course to be a milestone for me in terms of knowledge, skill and career. :)

Highheels35

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
Hello all,
I found this section of the forum very interresting. So wana join.
I am a Oil & Gas Professional having 10 yrs experienc , working with multi and national E & P companies. Quite hopeful
to get my immigration in very near future. Interrested to know about making a career in my own profession.I m a geophysicist.Have done assessment by IQAS - CANADA. The Comparative levels of acheivemnt they have given me is " completion of 4-yrs Bachelor of Science with a focus in Geophysics".

After this i want know where do i stand, i meant job wise, in O & G sector. what do i need to do more ?

Please enlighten me .
thanks and regards

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Refering to the original question, here is the Oil & Gas database from Govt. of Canada:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ogt-ipg.nsf/eng/h_og00003.html

Highheels35

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
Hi , I read this quite late almost an year after. so far what i hv gatherred is that u have to have some certification courses from canada plus member of APEGGA. And yur educational degrees assessed from IQAS. I myself is from oil and gas sectore have done masters geo sciences and have 12 yrs work experience.
I am also interrested in getting job in oil and gas sectore -

if u also belong from this sector and read this plz reply me on thelast_illusion@hotmail.com.

regards

ssaini

Mar 28, 2013
Rossei said:
Hello Khorshed,

I'm not from Alberta. I'm an electrical engineer working for power transmission in Ontario. So, I can't be of much help.
Hello Rossie,

Just saw your profile, as you are also practicing electrical engineering therefore i thought to have your kind opinion on job prospects in Canada for electrical engineer (energy sector).
I want to have your kind suggestion/advice about how would i proceed to get my credentials/experience recognised for Canadian employer to seek an valid job offer in the filed of electrical engineering (energy sector, energy conservation, utility DSM field).

My profile is as below:

Qualification: 4 Year Engineering Degree in Electrical Engineering (2006-10)
Experience: 3 years work experience in preliminary assessment and project execution of Energy efficiency and Renewable energy projects and Demand Side Management projects in India. Since last 2 years working with government department to implement energy efficiency projects.

Major Responsibility: Preliminary project assessment, economical feasibility, return on investment analysis and monitoring & oversee of project execution.

It would be highly appreciable if you can provide your inputs/suggestion on the above.

Thank you

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
ssaini said:
Hello Rossie,

Just saw your profile, as you are also practicing electrical engineering therefore i thought to have your kind opinion on job prospects in Canada for electrical engineer (energy sector).
I want to have your kind suggestion/advice about how would i proceed to get my credentials/experience recognised for Canadian employer to seek an valid job offer in the filed of electrical engineering (energy sector, energy conservation, utility DSM field).

My profile is as below:

Qualification: 4 Year Engineering Degree in Electrical Engineering (2006-10)
Experience: 3 years work experience in preliminary assessment and project execution of Energy efficiency and Renewable energy projects and Demand Side Management projects in India. Since last 2 years working with government department to implement energy efficiency projects.

Major Responsibility: Preliminary project assessment, economical feasibility, return on investment analysis and monitoring & oversee of project execution.

It would be highly appreciable if you can provide your inputs/suggestion on the above.

Thank you
Hello ssaini,

It's little off topic; but I will try to answer to my best knowledge.

Overall, the job prospects in energy sector is somewhat better in Canada. And that's one of the reasons I'm also working in energy sector though my interest wasn't much into it while studying. Most utility companies in Canada are owned and regulated by the government and hence it's not easy to get a job by a foreigner with an overseas degree (unless a job requires vast experience and a foreigner can fulfill the responsibilities). Most high-level vacancies are filled internally and Canadian graduates are given priority for entry-level jobs. So, considering your degree and short experience, it will be best for you to go for Masters program in Power in Canada and then look for those entry-level positions.

In most provinces of Canada, most power generation and transmission companies are owned by provincial government and the electricity market in controlled by legislative authority (Alberta is an exception). Local distributions are often owned by municipalities. There are few private generations in large scale. At most, there may be private investors/stakeholders. Therefore, jobs in energy sectors are by default 'public service' (mostly unionized). You can have a good idea about Canadian energy sector from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_Canada.

Here is the list of all utility companies in Canada: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_electric_utilities

I will brief about the electricity market in Ontario for example:

Ontario Ministry of Energy is the legislative authority in Ontario who governs the following bodies in order to mobilize electricity market:

(1) Ontario Energy Board (OEB): regulates province's electricity and natural gas
(2) Ontario Power Authority (OPA): responsible for energy conservation, long term plans, resource management etc.
(3) Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO): crown responsible for operating the electricity market and directing the operation of province-wide electrical system

Most of the power generations in Ontario is owned by Ontario Power Generation (OPG). Bruce Power is a famous private nuclear generation here. Ontario's power transmission, grid control and rural distribution is owned by Hydro One, another crown corp of Ontario. In large cities, local distribution is handled by municipality owned distribution companies (i.e. Toronto Hydro, Hydro Ottawa, London Hydro etc.). There are other private companies like General Energy, Kinectrics etc. and small to large consultancy firms like SNC-Lavalin, Wardrop who are involved in electricity sector. I like to inform you that IESO, OPG, Hydro One & Kinectrics used be part of Ontario Hydro (same as BC Hydro, Hydro-Québec, Manitoba Hydro etc.) before 1999.

The Ontario Green Energy Act, introduced in 2009, has been trying to expand renewable energy sources throughout province resulting small to mid-sized companies producing Wind, Solar & Bio energy privately through Feed-in Tariff (FIT) program which eventually creates more job opportunities.

You can search for individual company website and try your luck from their career page. As most students graduate in August, these companies tend to hire New Grad Engineers in September-October each year to fill out their need for entry-level positions.

If you still require any info, let me know. Good luck! :)

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
Highheels35 said:
Hi , I read this quite late almost an year after. so far what i hv gatherred is that u have to have some certification courses from canada plus member of APEGGA. And yur educational degrees assessed from IQAS. I myself is from oil and gas sectore have done masters geo sciences and have 12 yrs work experience.
I am also interrested in getting job in oil and gas sectore -

if u also belong from this sector and read this plz reply me on thelast_illusion @ hotmail.com.

regards
I am in O & G sector in Canada and immigrated to Canada in 2011. My experience is people educated from Canada can secure job more quickly than immigrant with experience from middle east and Asia. However, good news for new experienced immigrant also is it usually not take more than 4 months to an year to get a job in Oil industry as currently Oil market is pretty stable in Canada. However, as I said initially it is an up hill struggle for non canadian graduate & very experience persons though.

Alberta & Saskacwan are prime place for Oil& Gas jobs, the boom period is usually September to March and slump period is March to July in Canada for Oil & Gas jobs.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)

flangepoint

Jun 1, 2014
Rossei said:
I guess the above link is not valid anymore; instead they have a separate website for Canadian natural resource.

Hello to all seniors in the house,

I'm an MBA from India. I work with a major oil trader in the operations of MGO. Its a desk job, exposure areas are drafting of sales/purchase contracts, chartering vessels, monitoring vessel movements and instructing masters about Disports & load ports, STS Operations, arranging for all the export/import documentation.

My question: Are there similar job oppurtinities in Quebec? In my current role my principal language of communication is french, so Quebec suits me well. However I would like your inputs on whether or not these kind of jobs are available in Quebec region.

Please suggest any other profiles where I might fit in. Shipping? Import Export companies? (Names, Brands).

Any suggestions shared will be highly appreciated.

Thanks. :)